Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions and Advise needed

Options
  • 22-02-2008 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Scenario:

I purchased a 1998 Mazda 626 1.8 @ €2200 a few weeks ago (minus a warranty). I had a good look around it etc very clean and no smoke from the engine and no leaks at all anywhere so I though to myself I'll have that. NCT'd till Jan 2010 (happy days!!)

Drop it in for a service as there was no service history with it so said sod it book it in for a service. Anyway service done car became very smokey. Dropped it back to service place turns out the oil seals need doing.!!!! either that or a new engine from IVI at 1400 yoyos. The seals and fitting would come to more than that.

I also found out when my job was putting a car kit in for me that the thing was an ex TAXI which I was totally unaware of.

I bought the car in N4 Autos (just at Palmerstown/N4 junction) via Carzone website. The service guy said the car could of been filled up with an anti smoke additive to the engine and when it was service including oil change the additive was drained away with it.

Basically do I have a leg to stand on?? I would like to keep the car (mechanic said it's in really good nick) What are the chances of me getting your man in N4 Autos to honour the car??

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you bought it without a warranty and with no service history you don't have much comeback. Checking it via cartell.ie or something would have revealed it was a former taxi but the onus is on you to do that sort of check, the seller is not obliged to reveal anything you don't ask about.

You can ring the dealer and ask, but I wouldn't expect much - be polite about it and see if he'll help you out. Don't hold out too much hope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

All cars bought from registered dealers are required by law to provide 3 months warranty on engine and gearbox. It doesnt matter a damn if they say they dont give warranties its the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If i was you I would firstly contact the dealer to see what he can do for you. Ask if he is a member of the SIMI. If he refuses to give you your money back make a complaint to the SIMI (feck all use by all accounts but at least it'll be on the record) and to the Consumer Standards Agency. Ask the CSA for their advice too.

If you still have no luck that take him to the small claims court. Make sure you have letters from mechanics, reciepts etc. The waeeanty doesn't matter really as he sold you a defective product.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cpoh1 wrote: »
    All cars bought from registered dealers are required by law to provide 3 months warranty on engine and gearbox. It doesnt matter a damn if they say they dont give warranties its the law.

Really? Not taking the mick but are you sure that's correct? I've heard of many cars being "sold as seen".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Really? Not taking the mick but are you sure that's correct? I've heard of many cars being "sold as seen".

I agree. I've bought many cars 'as seen' and if anything goes wrong, I stump up. More often than not, it's worthwhile to do it this way for old cars provided you are sure it's a good car to begin with.

The lesson here is get your car checked out regardless of the source. It sounds like a hefty price you paid and a scrapper engine will now be the order of the day. A mate bought a car from him and he seems like a decent guy- maybe he'll give you your money back on the basis of it being an ex-taxi and the mileage is questionable??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

100% certain, my partner is a solicitor. All registered car traders (not just SIMI) are obliged by law to give a car sold by them 3 months engine and gearbox warranty as a minimum guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

cpoh1 wrote: »
    100% certain, my partner is a solicitor. All registered car traders (not just SIMI) are obliged by law to give a car sold by them 3 months engine and gearbox warranty as a minimum guarantee.

This is true 100000% ;)
    I also heard that this was being introduced to the private market also this year. I.e. if you sell a car and it develops a fault you are jointly responsible for the cost... i cant find any reference to that now tho' i'll post back if i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

just an update to my situation. i got talking to the guy from N4 Autos and had it out with him on the phone. Basically saying that i wasn't told it was an ex taxi and that the repair bill was going to be 1500 euro or a new engine from IVI for 1400. So he basically said he would replace the car with a similar one of equal value year and NCT's for 2 years and I can get my mechanic to check it out if I want.

Thanks for the advice people.

Cheers
    A

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That seems like a fair offer. In many situations they would argue that it was your own fault, etc. and create so much hassle so fair play to N4 Autos!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

doohan wrote: »
    just an update to my situation. i got talking to the guy from N4 Autos and had it out with him on the phone. Basically saying that i wasn't told it was an ex taxi and that the repair bill was going to be 1500 euro or a new engine from IVI for 1400. So he basically said he would replace the car with a similar one of equal value year and NCT's for 2 years and I can get my mechanic to check it out if I want.

Thanks for the advice people.

Cheers
    A

glad you are being sorted out. by the way, what was the mileage on the mazda?

• Advertisement
Advertisement