Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

95% of People are Sheep

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol @ added poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In an emergency on board ship were people need to exit quickly into life rafts/boats stewards are trained to go to the various exit points to lead and enable passenger to escape .It is no good having 6 or 8 exit hatches if the majority of passengers all head for 1 2 or 3 exits, hence most people become sheep like when being giving instructions by somebody trained and in command of the situation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spudster101

Tying to figure out weather my girlfriend is a sheep.
    Shes always follows the crowd like in fashion etc.

Dont like the thoughts of being called a sheep Sh**ger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Are you saying you dont believe in global warming?QUOTE]

I dont...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i was hoping the poll would be 95% to 5%, and was convinced someone would have ****ed it up had it gotten to that stage but no. Well done, i'm proud of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

people are sheep and sheep get slaughtered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

andrew wrote: »
    i was hoping the poll would be 95% to 5%, and was convinced someone would have ****ed it up had it gotten to that stage but no. Well done, i'm proud of boards.

Me too. I am also proud of boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Gekko wrote: »
    people are sheep and sheep get slaughtered

That being said -
    just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Wertz wrote: »
    I think their point was more on the link between carbon output and global warming/climate change, which in some people's minds is still a bit tenuous...the point being that even though n o link has been irrevocably proven that the masses are willing to take the word of those who say it's gospel and change their habits and lifestyle or pay more for goods because of a suggested link.

well i dont think anyones managed to prove its not true either.

and id rather pay a few quid more a week and spend a few mins more turnin off the tv instead of putn it on standby, or throwing a few things into a differant bin on the off chance it is true!

if it is true ile b doing my bit to slow it down at least, if its not true ile hav only been very mildly inconveniencd!

simple risk assessment if you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

...volunteers were told to walk randomly around a large hall without talking to each other. A select few were then given more detailed instructions.
    There's something very problematic about this research. Ask me to walk randomly and I'll give up doing John Cleese funny walks after a minute or two and start walking either up and down the hall or around it, clockwise or anticlockwise. If one in twenty people is walking purposefully clockwise, I'll walk with them rather than crash into them repeatedly.
    Isn't this more a case of common sense prevailing? If there had been some advantage in not falling in with the 'select few' it would have been more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I saw the title of this thread on the front page and thought to myself "hmm, rigormortis is posting in Afterhours that's strange." Then I realised that I knew it was rigormortis posting the thread just by the title. Dude, you are typecast now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

So this proves that 5% of the population are Lizards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

and id rather pay a few quid more a week and spend a few mins more turnin off the tv instead of putn it on standby, or throwing a few things into a differant bin on the off chance it is true!

if it is true ile b doing my bit to slow it down at least, if its not true ile hav only been very mildly inconveniencd!

You've obviously given this little or no thought.
    If it's true (CO2 causing it, not climate change itself; that is irrefutable at this stage), then your meagre attempts at curtailing you and your family's output is so much pissing in the wind.
    It's too late to get the sh*t back in the horse. The CO2 (and other gases) is out there now and we're adding to it in vast quantities everyday...we've been doing that steadily for about 200 years...whatever makes you think that turning off the TV is going to do a damn thing?
    But sure if a bunch of people can make a killing in the process of salving the collective consciences of western consumers, who am I to tell you not to follow the green trend?
    The reason I don't waste energy or use it needlessly is more influenced by it's direct effect on my wallet than any environmental issue...

If, as is thought among certain quarters, climate change has some other as yet undetermined factor, then again we are unlikely to be able to do much about it...but if people think they can do something about it (by lessening emmisions) then they're far happier and productive people...just the way your government and big business wants you to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

oy! who rigged the poll!? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Interesting, confirms what I have long believed.

+1

I have always said that but people dont belive me when i try to explain that they suppoort said football club not because of a choice they made in 95% of cases its because of siblings, friends when they are very young, reltations or elders who they respect who introduced them to it. When i question anyone to track back there "support" of a english premier league team it always tracks back to someone other than a choice they made.

Ive always remembered i was in school as a child and one time i was asked who do i support manunited or liverpool. I have no interest in non-international sports but i have always found it interesting that those where the only two choices i was prestend with...

The correct question would have been who do you support in the club leagues. But it seems that back then because it was only "cool" to support either of the two most popular teams of the time it was assumed that you had to comit your support to one of the other.

Most children instead of making a choice for themselves or explaining that that they had no interest would say one of the two choices, proving again sheep.

I examined international games but i more consider that to be more... actually i dont know the word but i would not consider supporting ones own nation in a international compitation to be sheepish as it reflects national pride which is a comon the world over.

EDIT: Although ... The theme of international sports, compitations betwee nations being popular? for supporting ireland does that make me a sheep? i dont think so i am very unique person and have never encountered anyone who thinks like i do... Is this an excpetion to the rule? what makes supporting a internatioal team not sheepish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

something like this was covered in the dead poets society:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-uIRZZR40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

latchyco wrote: »
    In an emergency on board ship were people need to exit quickly into life rafts/boats stewards are trained to go to the various exit points to lead and enable passenger to escape .It is no good having 6 or 8 exit hatches if the majority of passengers all head for 1 2 or 3 exits, hence most people become sheep like when being giving instructions by somebody trained and in command of the situation .
    In fairness, I don't think one can compare a "panic situation" with a few people randomly walking around a hall.
    Wertz wrote: »
    ...whatever makes you think that turning off the TV is going to do a damn thing?
    It will make a difference if everyone does it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

djpbarry wrote: »
    It will make a difference if everyone does it.

exactly! i didnt say i was going 2 single handedly stop global warming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

djpbarry wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think one can compare a "panic situation" with a few people randomly walking around a hall.

You would be surprised what behaviour manifests. There was aprogramme about those who survived disasters.( a few years ago and cant remember its naem..it may even gave been called disaster lol)
    In aircraft for example you find people waiting to be told what to do, or even opening overhead compartments to claim luggage/duty free and thus blocking exits.

The survivors in general were those who didnt revert to default behaviour. they for example went right over the seats (and anyone in them) to get to the exits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Concern about global warming will be at the back of your mind when they put a electronic tag on your weeley bins (if they havent already ) to check what your putting in what bin . They have already also started in some parts of the uk to check the weight of each bin .Over a certain weight and you pay extra .Your mild inconvenience might well turn out to be a heavy fine .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

This experiment is nothing new. There is a benefit to behaving this way, i hope the paper highlighted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't generally follow other people but nobody follows my lead either. :(

I think I may have leprosy.

Advertisement