Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bishops hall riding stables

• 22-02-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

hi guys has anyone heard of this yard its over the bridge past the west waterford golf club?? thats as much as i know. i used stonehaven but find it over priced 30 an hr 60 for a private lesson. at that price be cheaper to pay livery & buy a horse which is 140 a wk in stonehaven :eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Head up past the Waterford golf club from the Ferrybank side and keep driving straight for about 4 miles passing the Seanti Bar along the way. You cant miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

cheers thanks for the help;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vetty01

Has anyone used these stables for riding lessons? How did you find them?:)
    Info greatly accepted!

Hi vetty i used the yard alot last year but my instructor left so i decided to follow. Very nice yard if you want pm me with any questions:)

Lester, thanks for that- Went last night, best horse riding lesson I've had in ages- going back again next week, can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I started using Stonehaven a few months ago for lessons and find it great. Good lessons and nice outdoor rides during the summer.

The cost is expensive though. Is 30 Euro/hr standard for lessons in the area? How much is Bishops Hall?

No probs Green hornet! We started in Stone haven- but found it quite expensive and sometimes was not getting the full hour- we were doing a private lesson 2 of us in the lesson and it was costing us €40 each.. :eek:
    Our friends went to Bishops hall and thats how we ended up there! It is very good up there- lovely horses to ride, lessons are great and its €25 for a group lesson- 4 people - not bad, and you will get a good hour or more for that!
    I think its good to go to different teachers every so often- you will always pick up something.. ;)
    I've since bought a horse, so have not been up in Bishops hall for a while- Going back for the winter though. I have also heard of Orla Byrne in Kill, Co. Waterford so going to try her too- will let you know how I get on.
    Keep enjoying the horse riding- great exercise and great fun! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Thanks Vetty01.

We have a new instructor now as well and you are right. The different instructors always freshen it up a little by changing things a little and pointing out small things that maybe the other instructor did not focus on. In fairness the other instructor was great too though. Just different focusses I guess.

I'll miss being outside in the evenings though. The arena is never as much fun. Nothing like an outdoor canter!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Why not try Kilotteran Equitation Centre which has the lowest prices and is close to the city? It's also Waterfords oldest teaching establishment. Check out their website http://www.kec.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lucy79

lester76 wrote: »
    hi guys has anyone heard of this yard its over the bridge past the west waterford golf club?? thats as much as i know. i used stonehaven but find it over priced 30 an hr 60 for a private lesson. at that price be cheaper to pay livery & buy a horse which is 140 a wk in stonehaven :eek::eek::eek:
    i am a livery in stonehaven and its only 100e a week. lessons are only 25e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KirstenLuvsBhs

Heey :D iv been in bishops hall since it opend 3 years ago and they have been the best three years of my life lessons are only €20 and we have tthe BEST instructor EVER stacey sometimes the owner paula teaches the advanced class :) Private lessons are only €25 :) i dont have my own horse but the school ponies are amazing :) theres loads of things to do hacks and cross country and with all the horse box's down there we somtimes head of early sunday mornings too go hunting or galloping on woodstown beach i reccomend it too beginner & advanced riders ::) check out there facebook page :) -- http://www.facebook.com/KiRsTy.0o7#!/profile.php?id=100001207905622

Heey :D iv been in bishops hall since it opend 3 years ago and they have been the best three years of my life lessons are only €20 and we have tthe BEST instructor EVER stacey sometimes the owner paula teaches the advanced class :) Private lessons are only €25 :) i dont have my own horse but the school ponies are amazing :) theres loads of things to do hacks and cross country and with all the horse box's down there we somtimes head of early sunday mornings too go hunting or galloping on woodstown beach i reccomend it too beginner & advanced riders ::) check out there facebook page :) -- http://www.facebook.com/KiRsTy.0o7#!/profile.php?id=100001207905622

Hi kirsten great to hear bishopshall is still doing well,tell me is skippy still doin lessons,she was a super mare really look after you?? She was a chestnut mare about 16.1 or so.Had some great lessons on her..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nedzer99

lester76 wrote: »
    Hi kirsten great to hear bishopshall is still doing well,tell me is skippy still doin lessons,she was a super mare really look after you?? She was a chestnut mare about 16.1 or so.Had some great lessons on her..

Hey Lester,
    I'm currently taking lessons in BHS and was using Skippy for the first few!! She's still lovely and a great horse for lessons.. Have been on OXO & currently using Squaw, Paula's own horse. Group lessons are still €25 and private are the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TroJohn

Hey Everyone,

I am at Bishopshall at the moment and I am very impressed with it for a number of reasons, the instructor Paula is great craic and her attention to detail is very impressive, the lessons are varied and you can go at your own pace fast or slow, which is ideal if you find yourself getting bored walking around an arena for an hour every week, the horses are very good natured, well taken care of and very safe around newbies to the sport like me.

Pricewise, you get an hour lesson for 25 Euro, which is great value for money.

The staff are always chirpy and there is a great atmosphere around the place.

I really cant recommend this place highly enough to be honest.

When I was originally looking for directions I wasn't familiar with the area so here is a link for anyone thinking of going.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=waterford+train+station&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=52.288953,-7.132359&spn=0.058696,0.169086&sll=52.267527,-7.078972&sspn=0.058724,0.169086&geocode=FTSGHQMdUWKT_yHRQAoSHg8TNg%3BFco3HgMdeE-T_w&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&t=m&z=13

Paula is the owner and her telephone number is 087 932 7190

Best of luck

Advertisement