Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settings for receiving DIT mail with email client

Options
  • 22-02-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what settings i need to use in Thunderbird (same for outlook express) to receive my emails? Since they changed the system ive not rceived anything in Thunderbird but there are mails on the server.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, I'd like to know this details too :D

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

ditto! what's the pop3 address etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I'm using mail.dit.ie

Seems to work ok, ish!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    I'm using mail.dit.ie

Seems to work ok, ish!
    Hmm, Its not receiving any of the new mydit.ie mails! Or I'm doing something wrong :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was using mail.dit.ie as well but since the new system has come into place i havent received anything.

Rang tech support and was told to use mail.dit.ie and set it up using imap, didnt work for me thou

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    I was using mail.dit.ie as well but since the new system has come into place i havent received anything.

Rang tech support and was told to use mail.dit.ie and set it up using imap, didnt work for me thou
    That doesn't work either, setting to imap just downloads all the old emails lol, I'm guessing they changed mail server

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

try imap.dit.ie

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dit offering an imap service, quick where's the closest bomb shelther. :D

pH wrote: »
    try imap.dit.ie

;)
    That one fails completely ;)

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

has anyone got any info on this yet?

• Advertisement

imap.dit.ie

try again ;)

That done it this time, pretty sure it didnt work for me at the start of the week

pH wrote: »
    imap.dit.ie

try again ;)
    Got it working in Windows mail using that ;) Just cant get gmail to work, (think it only supports pop :()
    That done it this time, pretty sure it didnt work for me at the start of the week
    It didnt work last nite for me either I'm sure!

Nick

When sending mail from my gmail account i use the dit mail server to send it.

Working in GMail now, Woo :D , It actually showed a DNS error when tryed earlier, cheers for the advice pH, sound ;)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S-Maybo

I set up the new myDIT email with IMPA.dit.ie and it receives all the new emails perfectly. But does anyone know what the server is for sending using the account? I guessed it would be smtp.dit.ie but it doesn't seem to work?

Cheers!

S-Maybo wrote: »
    I set up the new myDIT email with IMPA.dit.ie and it receives all the new emails perfectly. But does anyone know what the server is for sending using the account? I guessed it would be smtp.dit.ie but it doesn't seem to work?

Cheers!
    mail.dit.ie

EDIT: NVM password mixup it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S-Maybo

mail.dit.ie

EDIT: NVM password mixup it seems

Thanks for replying Jozi! I've tried that but for some reason I can only send stuff to my own student@dit.ie address using it. Anything other address fails?!

Using mail.dit.ie wouldn't be sending it from the old squirrelmail server would it? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with it!

Mailed IS support yesterday before I found this thread and they told me pop and imap were completely disabled for the new email.... Funny how the messages keep arriving in thunderbird then isn't it!

S-Maybo wrote: »
    Thanks for replying Jozi! I've tried that but for some reason I can only send stuff to my own student@dit.ie address using it. Anything other address fails?!

Using mail.dit.ie wouldn't be sending it from the old squirrelmail server would it? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with it!

Mailed IS support yesterday before I found this thread and they told me pop and imap were completely disabled for the new email.... Funny how the messages keep arriving in thunderbird then isn't it!
    In fairness it is very hit and miss though for some reason!
    Mail fetch history for "me@student.dit.ie"
    Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM Authentication error.
    Server returned error "Authentication failed"
    Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Authentication error.
    Server returned error "Authentication failed"
    Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM No mails fetched.
    Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:27 PM No mails fetched.
    Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM No mails fetched.

Nick

Could be from the old mail server, i havent changed anything to do with out going mail since a long time ago.

I use it to send mail from my gmail as well as dit mail, no problems with it as of yet

• Advertisement

Could be from the old mail server, i havent changed anything to do with out going mail since a long time ago.

I use it to send mail from my gmail as well as dit mail, no problems with it as of yet
    I'm using imap.dit.ie m8, the new server, saw even windows mails to fetch sometimes, dns lookup error or something?

Nick

finally the new email system is working on Apple mail and my iphone

now just to be allowed to change my stupid DOB password :rolleyes:

Cremo wrote: »
    finally the new email system is working on Apple mail and my iphone

now just to be allowed to change my stupid DOB password :rolleyes:
    You use www.mypassword.dit.ie Cremo, also iirc you need to make several "recovery questions" before you can change it, once done you will be able to login using new password :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I find imap.dit.ie works fine with windows mail for receiving mail but sending mail is a different story!

yoyo wrote: »
    You use www.mypassword.dit.ie Cremo, also iirc you need to make several "recovery questions" before you can change it, once done you will be able to login using new password :)

Nick
    i tried that but it's saying it cannot connect to the active directory.
    Gazza22 wrote: »
    I find imap.dit.ie works fine with windows mail for receiving mail but sending mail is a different story!

imap.dit.ie is working perfectly for me for both sending and recieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

None of them seem to work for me. I've tried:
    smtp.dit.ie
    imap.dit.ie
    mail.dit.ie

for outgoing mail. The results are this:

smtp.dit.ie - An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <recipient address>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipients and try again.

imap.dit.ie - Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server imap.dit.ie failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

mail.dit.ie - An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 <recipient address>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipients and try again.

The smtp is set to port 0, the imap and mail are set to port 25. They're all set to use my student number (with a capital C) as a user name.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Stern

It sometimes fails on imap.dit.ie lol! Keep trying!

Nick

As far as I know DIT's SMTP server will not relay outbound mail if you're not on the college network. If you're on the college network then it should let you, if you're using an ISP at home then use their outbound SMTP server.

Some ISPs SMTP servers may not forward the mail if your from email address isn't set to be one they're happy with. They may reject sending mail with a @dit.ie address, try yours and see.

In this case you'll need to find an STMP server somewhere that's happy to relay, or use something that can send mail directly to the recipient's STMP server (bypassing the need to hand your email to an STMP server). Mail Direct or similar may work for you (though it's primarily a tool used by spammers) if your ISP's smtp server refuses to forward mail with a @dit.ie from address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

anyone ever get gmail to collect mails from dit servers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement