Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wes Brown

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Comparing Brown in this situation to Cole is silly. Brown has a right to try and negotiate a good contract for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Brown is right to try and negotiate what he can get. However I don't see why United should give him it.

To compare him as a player to Ferdinand is laughable, Ferdinand is integral to what is the best defensive record in the league, Brown is merely solid.
    Same with Evra, he is nowhere near that standard.

I like Brown, he's a United lad and I'd like him to stay. However wages must be kept under control, and if he isn't going to accept 50k a week, let him go elsewhere, but where he thinks he is gona get 60k a week I'm not so sure. I guess Spurs maybe, or else Newcastle, but he'd be stupid to go to Newcastle.

Personally I think it's about more than this. The wages are a reflection of where United see him. 50k says excellent squad player. 60k says first choice RB for the future. If they aren't willing to give him 60k, it's likely that they don't see him as the future first choice RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Comparing Brown in this situation to Cole is silly. Brown has a right to try and negotiate a good contract for himself.
    Bang on! Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate a better contract as he's certainly putting in the preformances to earn, so what if he wants £10,000 more... still alot less then Rio's earning! Nice to see Mr. Alan agrees. :p

BTW, Happy 1st Boards.ie Birthday! Almost 10 posts a day?! Thats good going! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Can't believe the cheek of Brown tbh, United stuck with him through those nightmare three injuries, and this is how he repays them :(
    The only reason he's askin for this is because he got an extended run in the team, only due to Neville's injury, get rid of him in the summer, I don't care for him anymore, we will still have Evans and Pique as back up plus probably a new right back. That will do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nailz wrote: »
    BTW, Happy 1st Boards.ie Birthday! Almost 10 posts a day?! Thats good going! ;)

STALKER!:eek:

over ten posts a day and every one full of **** :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    STALKER!:eek:

over ten posts a day and every one full of **** :p
    Stalker???? Eh, No....
    "over ten posts a day and every one full of ****" INDEED!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    To compare him as a player to Ferdinand is laughable, Ferdinand is integral to what is the best defensive record in the league, Brown is merely solid.
    Brown has been part of that defensive record for most of the season has he not? I don't see anyone saying Brown is as good as Ferdinand, but then Brown isn't asking for equal parity with Ferdinand's wages. Hell, he isn't even asking for half of what Ferdinand reportedly earns.

Villa are in need of a right-back, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

get rid of him. never liked him. a good right back would be welcomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,700 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    Brown is right to try and negotiate what he can get. However I don't see why United should give him it.

I like Brown, he's a United lad and I'd like him to stay. However wages must be kept under control, and if he isn't going to accept 50k a week, let him go elsewhere, but where he thinks he is gona get 60k a week I'm not so sure. I guess Spurs maybe, or else Newcastle, but he'd be stupid to go to Newcastle.

Personally I think it's about more than this. The wages are a reflection of where United see him. 50k says excellent squad player. 60k says first choice RB for the future. If they aren't willing to give him 60k, it's likely that they don't see him as the future first choice RB.

Nail on the head there really. I'd say Ferguson is more mad at the fact that these private contract talks are in the public domain in the first place. Ferguson rewards squad players, because of their loyalty and ability to play where their told, take O'Shea as an example, a limited player, but does what he is told, does a certain job, also I think he has played in nearly every position including goal.

As has been said Brown is fully entitled to negotiate, but it is up to the club to value the player. Not the player and his agent. As for comparing him with Ferdinand it is unfair to both. Ferdinand is a 1st choice international, he is vice captain, has almost the same amount of appearances for United as Brown, although only joining the Club in 2002 and being out for a season on the missed drug test charge.

People say that he should be rewarded for his loyalty, but loyalty is a 2 way thing, United could have cashed in on him several times, but chose to stick with him.

It is widely accepted that Uniteds weak link is right back, this speaks volumes of Browns position in his contract, not many regard him as good enough, this is more due to the fact that the postion has greatly changed since Brown started, if United got in a clone of Evra the general consensous would be Brown who?

As for feeling sorry for a prem players wage packet, he is being offered a couple of million a year to play football with the biggest club in the world, his endorsements will flow, he will be watched by the international setup more, he will be a better player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    get rid of him. never liked him. a good right back would be welcomed

thing is, good right backs are hard to come by these days. not saying browne is class, but he does a job. maybe when neville come back in 2 weeks, he will sign the deal cos he will be back on the bench again.

Advertisement