Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F-Class Confusion.

Options
  • 22-02-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I eventually got the facts about F-Class ranges in the ROI. Apart from
    the Midlands Range (god bless them ) no other full Bore rifle range exists in the South of Ireland. Getting Confused and jumping up & down about what's Restricted is recycling, very worthy I'm sure the Green party would be proud but from what I read here on Boards before this list came out the advice was, wait until you see the list published. Should that same advice be given again, wait until you see how it get put into practice first as it looks to be a done deal then handle the the problems in a rational way.

What's not rational is why only One Full Bore Rifle range opperates to
    cater for the entire ROI, who dropped the ball on this one. This is where
    the focus should be, very sorry state of affairs indeed!
    The people organizing this type of shooting or who are responsible
    for it in some way need to get together and work out a plan.

If you don't cater for this type of target shooting in any major way here on boards then I posted to the wrong site, if you do, can any of you
    advise on how new members can get into F-Class shooting if they can't
    travel as far as the midlands from any other part of the country?
    I know we do love our politics in this country, sometimes more than
    politics loves it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

can any of you
    advise on how new members can get into F-Class shooting if they can't
    travel as far as the midlands from any other part of the country?

Why not start a club with a full bore range near where you live? This is how all the other clubs got started. I realise that this is no mean achievement. You may have a disused ex military range near you or an old quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 F-ClassWillie

Thank's Fourtycoats for the advice, I did think about that option but
    from the advice I have been given the chances of sucess are small and
    most attempts so far looked to have failed. Is it possible for some experienced target shooters shooting organization to set up some group to take this on. Appearently you must know what you are doing especially regarding range building.
    The cost must be one of the big hurdles, could some funding be offered
    or some wealty shooting benefactor's got into some group.
    As for Military ranges don't know how you could approach this, has it been
    tried as an option, has it been brought up with this panel who talk to the
    government, F-Class looks to be a very challenging sport that I would love
    to take up any more advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Why not start a club with a full bore range near where you live? This is how all the other clubs got started. I realise that this is no mean achievement. You may have a disused ex military range near you or an old quarry.

Following our Committee Meeting the other night it was agreed that we would pursue this project and get a full bore range going.

DTSC are in the process of setting up a full bore Range on the East Coast, all interested parties please PM me.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club.

That's great news SikaMick I will PM you. Now is the chance for others
    to get up and do the same around the country.

To give more infromation and keep away from the politics would Boards or the range in the Midlands consider putting up this sort of page.
    www.freewebs.com/fclassuk/# Rifle target shooting / F-Class Only Forum for target shooting talk, no sparing allowed? The sport needs to get highlighted in a positive way in order to grow.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you might also want to contact
    www.nrai.ie
    I understand they are the official NGB for F-Class shooting in Ireland.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is it possible for some experienced target shooters shooting organization to set up some group to take this on.

In a free market economy I don't see why you want the shooting organisations to open clubs. Especially when you arent keen to give it a go yourself.... :)

Either there is a lot of interest in the topic or there isnt...

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Indeed, there's an argument to be made to keep the number of clubs low and the number of participants in each club high. It cuts down on overhead and should improve the chances of clubs making money which can be put into improving facilities and so on. It's nice to have a local range, but sometimes that's just not economically viable.

QUOTE=DeVore;55207972]I think you might also want to contact
    www.nrai.ie
    I understand they are the official NGB for F-Class shooting in Ireland.

DeV.[/QUOTE]

Yes F class willie, DeVore is right the Mid-Lands club is the main place for F Class shooting and their facilities in bench rest full bore and rim fire is excellent as well.

Our club members (DTSC) were invited down to an introduction to F Class shooting last weekend and we had a great day.

Our club committee meeting was on Wednesday night and it was agreed that we would setup a full bore range.

We have been looking at sites over the last few months and we have a few of them.

I would like to see the Mid-lands getting involved in the setting up of an East Coast range, their advice and experience would be invaluable.

That would be great if it worked - I would love to try out fullbore but midlands is too far away for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

That would be great if it worked - I would love to try out fullbore but midlands is too far away for me.

Where abouts do you live?
    You cant rent anything other than a 22lr in Midlands.
    If your interested in buying they might let you try before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You cant rent anything other than a 22lr in Midlands.
    If your interested in buying they might let you try before you buy.

Don't tempt him, he has enough guns as it is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

A semi, tongue in cheek to answer some of the above queries about lack of F-Class ranges.

As the law stands at the moment and before new range laws are introduced, as I understand it, you need the following.

For 1000yd range, you will need strip of land at least 1200yds long by say minimum 50yds wide (small but will fit 5 firing points)

Backstop will have to be 50Ft high (open to correction) with open ground (no houses, roads, or publicly accessed areas) behind for probably 1500Yds (again open to correction)

So now we need land Minimum 2700Yds X 50Yds with adequate backstop, with no houses, roads or publicly accessable areas behind or to either side.

Sort of limits where you can build a range--not think so

cantona wrote: »
    A semi, tongue in cheek to answer some of the above queries about lack of F-Class ranges.

publicly accessable areas behind or to either side.

Sort of limits where you can build a range--not think so

cantona Explain :Public Accessibility please.

And a full bore range does not have to be F Class standard.

We could have a full bore range on the East Coast that will allow people to practice and become competent to a level to compete in competitions in the Mid - Lands. They shoot 100, 200 and 300Yds in the Mid - Lands as well as F Class.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

There seems to be a problem with a lot of people in the sport of target shooting, they will complain a lot but wont get up off their arse and help get things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi F-Classwillie & Fourtycoats.

To start a new target shooting club and set up just for F-Class shooting only is, in my opinion, would be extremly cost prohibitive.

We don't know how lucky we really are to have the guys of the MNSCI at the centre of this island, equalily distant for all to travel to.

The Costs of set up, gathered through gossip & stuff, I believe that the back-stop at the 600yd Windmill range cost in excess of approx €18,000 to build and remember that they have all the sand they need right under their feet, no hauling costs. Then take into account the butt system they have with 16 turning targets and reinforced concrete shelter for the butt crew, the cost of building the firing points, plus the road to and from the butts, plus landscaping, plus rental of the land, build and maintain a club house, toilets, electric etc, etc, You're talking huge money just to set up, and that's just for 600yds.

Some other clubs in the South tried to set up F-Class shooting at a mere 300yds, http://www.geocities.com/pro_lrrai/LRRAI.html , thats not F-Class shooting. Others have tried it in the East of the country, http://groups.msn.com/TheLeinsterRiflePistolClub/competitions.msnw?action=get_message&mview=&ID_Message=582 , havent heard much from them either. As far as I know there is nothing in the West but if you travel North across the border to Northern Ireland / UK you will find the likes of Ballykilner.

You say that the MNSCI is too far away for you to travel to. The guys there come from all four corners of the country every weekend to shoot and then some of them will travel abroad to meeting in the likes of Canada, the USA, Scotland and England to shoot as a team / individual. I've seen car loads, well 4 guys anyway, share cars from Northern Ireland, the same from Monaghan, Wexford and Dublin.

Don't worry about distance, if there are other shooters living relitivly near to you, driving and petrol costs can be shared..........Where there's a will, there's a way........Talking is good, go organise a few friends and pay a visit to the guys in the MNSCI.

I would like to wish Sikamick and his club the very best of luck in their new venture.

http://www.nrai.ie/

http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/

HI Lads. V bull thanks for the info, looking at all options. what are the correct distances for F-Class? I know I can shoot well enough to get
    into this sport but sometimes it's best to start at the beginning as we all
    tend to think we are the best then you go and make a complete make ass of yourself first time out. Is 300 yards a good starting point to get into F-Class? Is this new savage in 308 30" barrel called F/TR good enough to get you started or do you need something fancy costing big money.

Shame to see the two Lenster Clubs getting into trouble. I was not sure if
    my shooting buddy had his facts right, he is and now I will have to buy him beer for the whole weekend ahead. In Farming we help each other out when one of us gets into trouble, can you all give a bit of a dig out saving these ranges on the East coast? It's just a taught and they look have given it the best shot. One more taught wave and guess its not for me to say but seeing as the DTSC are about to start out with range building with all the costs that look to be enormous, would the East Coast Clubs not help each other out saving the DTSC the trouble of building a range and have them save at least one of the other two ranges.

Re the F-Class UK web site. It caught my eye it did a good job explaining what is involved,had you almost on the range, very good I taught so I put it up for all to see, not that the Midlands site is any less clear. Looking
    at the car sharing option good idea bye for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

make a complete make ass of yourself first time out.

I think we've all done this at some stage, but there are always the exceptions to the rule, the guy that never makes a mistake and is perfect at everything he does, yeh right, Mr Right, but I didn't know his first name is "Always".........................:D:D:D:D:D

For the moment the guys at the MNSCI are shooting at 300 - 500 & 600yds in competition, there is talk of extending the Windmill Range out to 1,000yds.

Yeh, 300yds is fine to start out with, never try to run before you can walk, get to know your rifles capibilities, different ammo, different loads and stuff.

The Savage in .308 will be just right to start with in F/TR. You don't have to go and break the bank to get started. Like I said earlier, take a trip to the MNSCI and talk to the guys down there. The only trouble you will have with them is that you wont be able to shut them up....................:D:D they love to talk, and by God, they can do the walk.................. great lads & girls (of which there are a few in F-Class).

It would be a perfect world if other clubs were to help out the lads in the DTSC to build a new facility...................If I could only win the lotto........:cool:

F Classwillie, V Bull is right about the Mid-lands, if you want to do proper
    F Class in Ireland the Mid-Lands is the only place.

F Classwillie you should make it your business to go and see the facilities in the Mid-Lands.

We hope to be going down Sunday week, just want to clear it with the people in the MNSCI first.

If you PM me maybe you will be able to get a space in one of our cars.

We are just back from John Greens in Waterford, sevens of us went down today and two of our lads have bought rifles of him. He does exceptional work, it is great to see that we have a rifle builder in Ireland at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

hi guys,any members of the midlands on here from cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

patbundy wrote: »
    hi guys,any members of the midlands on here from cork

Tipp ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »

cantona Explain :Public Accessibility please.

I'll step in here and explain that with full-bore shooting and with most shooting on unbaffled ranges (danger-area ranges), there has to be a danger area beyond the stop butts covering a cone shaped area from the firing point to encompass the normal cone of fire. This area can extend up to 1500m or more beyond the stop butts and must be strictly controlled during shooting.

Practically speaking, there should not be any possible access by members of the public during firing.

And a full bore range does not have to be F Class standard.
    The standard for F-Class does not differ from any other standard in terms of range construction. There may be minimum range lengths, but these are used in other disciplines as well. Safety considerations for long distance shooting are universal.
    There seems to be a problem with a lot of people in the sport of target shooting, they will complain a lot but wont get up off their arse and help get things going.
    The problem on the East Coast with regard to full bore ranges is land cost. If you take it that a 600 yard range will require up to 1000m of danger area probably out to a width of at least 100m (too lazy to do the sums :D), then you're talking about a considerable plot of land. Certainly could be as much as 40 acres.

• Advertisement

Tipp ?

ha ha ha,close enough bs.

pm on the way bunny shooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

replied

Quote= rrpc
    The problem on the East Coast with regard to full bore ranges is land cost. If you take it that a 600 yard range will require up to 1000m of danger area probably out to a width of at least 100m (too lazy to do the sums :D), then you're talking about a considerable plot of land. Certainly could be as much as 40 acres.[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________

We have the land in a perfect location close to Dublin and as for been to lazy I don't think so.
    I spend seven days a week working for our club , how much time do you give to the sport.

What club are you belong to and why don't you come along and get involved in setting up a full bore range instead of criticizing.

As for the cost of the land lease it is very reasonable.

Michael O'Connor

Quote= rrpc
    The problem on the East Coast with regard to full bore ranges is land cost. If you take it that a 600 yard range will require up to 1000m of danger area probably out to a width of at least 100m (too lazy to do the sums :D), then you're talking about a considerable plot of land. Certainly could be as much as 40 acres.

________________________________________________________________________________
    We have the land in a perfect location close to Dublin and as for been to lazy I don't think so.
    I spend seven days a week working for our club , how much time do you give to the sport.

What club are you belong to and why don't you come along and get involved in setting up a full bore range instead of criticizing.

As for the cost of the land lease it is very reasonable.

Michael O'Connor

Dear Michael

Please read my post again before you start flaming me. (Apart from the other unwarranted conclusions you also seem to have drawn).

Quote=rrpc

Dear Michael

Please read my post again before you start flaming me. (Apart from the other unwarranted conclusions you also seem to have drawn).[/QUOTE]

I think I got up to early , my apologises for misreading your posting.

I think I got up to early , my apologises for misreading your posting.

I know the feeling :D

Apology accepted. As a matter of interest does your club have an email address?, I would like to add it to the Rathdrum mailing list if possible.

Advertisement