Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand racer bikes

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am planning on doing a triathlon at the end of the summer which means
    I need a racer bike. I hope to get a good second-hand one maybe. I have
    tried buyandsell, gumtree and ebay but there doesn't seem to be much
    there. Do any of you know any places in Dublin where I can buy one?

Thanks,
    Triathlete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

you might find something in City Cycles of Fairview/Marino, Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Got a 56cm Cannondale Caad 4 with dura ace and kysirium ssc wheels , 6 years old but good nick. 500 if you're nterested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Please be careful buying a secondhand racer as I work with racing bikes a lot (30 years) from what i see only 1 in 20 are worth the money that people are looking for them most need chain, chainrings, bottom brackets, bottom headset bearing, cables,
    check the braking surface on the wheel for the wearline, If the wheels have ballbearing and cones they are most likley rusted and pitted in the hubs, That my 2 cents worth having worked on over 30 racers last week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Good point liamtinney, personally I find I have to change all those yearly any way (chain and block twice a year most years !). I've seen alot of overpriced muck over the years as well. (bought a few lemons as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

RiddleCon wrote: »
    Good point liamtinney, personally I find I have to change all those yearly any way (chain and block twice a year most years !). I've seen alot of overpriced much over the years as well. (bought a few lemons as well)

Yes me too I traded in a trek 1400 (9 speed) for €450 about a year ago from a man in his late sixties bike looked like new, so never give it a check over,
    he must have lived on it needed everything, full drivetrain, wheels, headset,ETC, I ended up putting it in the skip as i would never got my money back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 edward8519

hey there,

think i replied to your ad on gumtree. i have a trek 1400 which is 4 months old. it is in great condition and a beautiful bike. its never been raced. im selling it because i simply dont use it enough. i am a student in final year and dont have time during the week. the bike cost me 1500 but im selling for 1000. it comes with lock, helmet, speedo, and is still under warrenty from where it was bought. if you want pics of the bike im more then haappy to supply them! PM if your interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hollingsworth cycles in Templeogue had a few fairly nice second hand racers last time i was in (few weeks ago). Couldn't tell you if they've anything right now, but they'd be worth checking.

Advertisement