Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear change (quick Question)

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

When you start and would like to cross the road to go Right, do you stay in first gear or are you allowed to shift gears while making the turn?

Received some conflicting advice on this, at the moment i shift gears while i turn, but got test coming up and do not want to risk a mistake on this.
    (this would mean make the whole turn in first gear)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Wook wrote: »
    When you start and would like to cross the road to go Right, do you stay in first gear or are you allowed to shift gears while making the turn?
    In general, changing gears in a turn is not a great idea, particularly at speed. Going 1st to 2nd while turn off shouldn't be a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you're already moving when making your turn i wouldn't change gear mid turn, leave it in second. As for starting off making a right turn, i'd just change up to second quickly, staying in first for the whole turn feels a bit odd as you'd pick up a lot of revs quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Would start in first and move into second quickly before i start the turn. Would never change gear in a turn, and that goes for roundabouts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My test is comin up in a couple of weeks.This is proving to be one of my biggest problems.My instructor says that i should complete straightening up the wheel before I shift into 2nd.To do this you have to do it really slowly and my car sounds terrible if I hold on too long in 1st!!!Should i just do it really slow or smoothly change while i turn?????I really dont want to pick up a fault i know i can avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

AFAIK focus on the traffic and steering. Change gears automatically without looking at the gear stick. And make it quick and fluent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ThOnda wrote: »
    AFAIK focus on the traffic and steering. Change gears automatically without looking at the gear stick. And make it quick and fluent.

That post didn't appear to mention anything about looking at the gearstick, although it was edited. Like i said above, i would agree in saying that staying in first feels odd and you build up the revs too quickly in first, so i would get rolling in first and pop it quickly into 2nd, i'm not talking lightning speed here, so there's no need to panic, but do it quick enough and continue your turn. Do whatever feels natural to you. And good luck with your test!
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

unless the corner is very tight (in which case making the turn in first wont be too bad) ive found i'd turn the wheel to a certain point and hold it there, change to second very quickly and then straighten up the wheel. its a tough one to explain in writing... it took quite a bit of practicing to get it without knotting my arms up but once you do it will be second nature

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I used to change gears all the time during turns, but I was told not to. It's because you'll be declutched while gear changing so overall will have much less control of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I just try to be in second before starting the actual turn - it should be grand in most standards cars, I mean you can generally take off in second unless it's on a hill like? Only occasions I've found dodgy for this is say a steep hill with a traffic light on the top and you're turning left and have to hill start, in that case I'd just take it slowly and leave it in first until I've completed the turn.

But don't take my word as gospel - I haven't passed my test yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

is there any official rule on this one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

As far as I am aware (when I did the test), you have to complete the turn, straighten up the wheels, then change up gear.

As long as you are in a junction you own the road (so to speak), so if you have to complete the turn in first gear, then take it smoothly and try not to rev the car too high, maintain a consistant speed.
    I've yet to see a school car whizzing around a right or left turn!

Advertisement