Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recurring threads.

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These topics seem to come up all the time:-

1/. How much to fix? .... Ask a mechanic

2/. Importing & VRT .... Read the sticky

3/. I've bought a dud .... Why didn't you check it out fully beforehand?

4/. Same question asked on AskAboutMoney.com .... Why?

These threads are clogging cyberspace, and are worthless surely?

That is all. Have a nice w/e :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But what I want to know is what these questions will be after July 1st - should I ask them now or wait and ask them later. What kind of answer will I get?

Grrrrrrrr... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My god, not another 'Recurring Threads' thread......

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If you haven't noticed yet

Boards is just one massive recurring thread

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont forget -How much is X used car worth (or variation of same). We could nearly print our own Blue book at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Three of my faves:

1. FOGLIGHTS! Get over it like.

2. Speeding! With extra high horses and usually sandwitch balbbing about how speed limits are all about safety, and myself and other arguing its not. Repeat for 50 pages.

3. The "I hate boy racers/BMW drivers/SUV owners for no particular reason other then the fact they have a different car" thread. Repeat for 10 pages. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just to get the word out to fellow boardsies. I posted a thread on forumzes.ie about recurring threads and got a phone call from some yoke named Ann in Cyprus who said she could get my thread on all the major Irish and Canadian bulletin boards for only €99. Total scam. Just letting you know so you don't get scammed like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

javaboy wrote: »
    Just to get the word out to fellow boardsies. I posted a thread on forumzes.ie about recurring threads and got a phone call from some yoke named Ann in Cyprus who said she could get my thread on all the major Irish and Canadian bulletin boards for only €99. Total scam. Just letting you know so you don't get scammed like I did.

Best answer so far!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Meh - threads recur on most forums. In a general public forum the amount of topics is limited - especially in a forum like boards.ie/motors where people post threads looking for advice/information.

I don't see it as a problem per se, so let those seeking answers post, and those with the answers reply. That's the 'culture' of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

astraboy wrote: »
    Three of my faves:

2. Speeding! With extra high horses and usually sandwitch balbbing about how speed limits are all about safety, and myself and other arguing its not. Repeat for 50 pages.

3. The "I hate boy racers/BMW drivers/SUV owners for no particular reason other then the fact they have a different car" thread. Repeat for 10 pages. :rolleyes:

LOL! 100% true though.

Another recurring thread is I'm not going to pay VRT, we all tell the OP that he/she is a clown etc but they're gonna do it anyway because the revenue are as thick as the ditch apparently:rolleyes: but these people know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

If I'm wondering about something, I just post. I never read stickies or old posts. The whole reason I want to leech off the wisdom of the crowds is that I want to save time instead of doing it myself.

Sorry to go off-topic, but it really annoys me when people drive slowly in the fast lane. I'd sure love to kill thos m*th*rf*ck*rs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    I don't see it as a problem per se, so let those seeking answers post, and those with the answers reply. That's the 'culture' of the forum.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

rediguana wrote: »
    Sorry to go off-topic, but it really annoys me when people drive slowly in the fast lane. I'd sure love to kill thos m*th*rf*ck*rs!

This is a thread about recurring threads so complaining about people driving slowly in the overtaking lane is about as on topic as you can get! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

astraboy wrote: »
    Three of my faves:

+1 but you forgot about the tailgaters thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If there was a proper FAQ there'd be no need to keep a asking the same questions, no need for 99% of threads and no real need for discussion forums either.

It's the vested interests that are blocking FAQs, instead sticky-ing threads that are 200 pages of questions, and thus unreadable, and labelling them as "all you wanted to know about..."

So you see, without recurring threads boards, and more importantly, revenue derived from boards, wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't see a problem with them really. Alot of infrequent vistors here just looking for genuine advice.

If I have nothing useful to contribute to a thread then I just move on to the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

JHMEG wrote: »
    If there was a proper FAQ there'd be no need to keep a asking the same questions, no need for 99% of threads and no real need for discussion forums either.

It's the vested interests that are blocking FAQs, instead sticky-ing threads that are 200 pages of questions, and thus unreadable, and labelling them as "all you wanted to know about..."

So you see, without recurring threads boards, and more importantly, revenue derived from boards, wouldn't exist.

Even if there was such a sticky, the same people would post their previously answered questions because they either don't know how or couldn't be ar$ed searching for the answers.

I think that there are a lot of genuine members here that have a lot to contribute but who become disinterested when the same questions are asked time after time.

I also firmly believe that we need to split motors into "moral motoring" in which the clip-clop brigade can moan to their hearts content about their right to block the right lane whilst not exceeding the inappropriate speed limit and "real motoring" where members who are actually interested in cars can discuss things like sport tyres and induction kits without their being branded as boy racers and having to go to confession for seven years before the horses go away...

sorry, rant over..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

jesus, ye have little to be complaining about;)

the only other motoring forum i had used before boards was a UK based MR2 site and recurring threads is 95% of that forum:D
    In the same page of threads you could have 2 or 3 threads asking the same questions. In the general section, if you took out all the questions on tyre size, offsets, which rev car is mine, you'd have nothing left.
    When i started reading motors here i couldn't believe the variations in threads.

Advertisement