Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Native English speaker" requirement in recent job ads

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I just wonder if this is legal.

I have recently seen quite a few jobs going with "Native English speaker" listed as one of the requirements. These jobs have nothing to do with e.g. teaching English, they are regular marketing and/or e-commerce jobs.

Although I could see reasons for that I think this very phrasing discriminates against nationality - which is illegal (?). It means no matter how fluent in English you are you won't get this job for you are e.g. French.

In terms of prospective work quality there would not be any difference between a "Native English Speaker" and a "Fluent English Speaker entitled to stay and work in Ireland". If an employer decides to use the first phrasing for it is more efficient way to put things across they risk legal action against them. In my opinion at least.

What do you think?

I am not starting this to have discussion going about cheap workforce taking Irish jobs or some Irish employer behaving racial although, arguably, for a reason. This is not an issue here.

I just wonder if you can legally advertise a job as only available for a native English speaker in Ireland?

Apologies if this does not belong here. I could not find a legal section and I thought this was close enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I know a few people working for recruitment agencies and they always have problems placing foreign office workers even when the worker is insanely more qualified than the job requires.

The problem being that the HR say they want "native speakers" only as they had a "bad experience once" or the classic "they must have experience of working in Ireland", and these jobs aren't exactly rcket science, we are talking basic office / admin roles and the applicant would usually be educated to masters level and speak a few languages.

There is an inherent racism in a lot of big companies in Ireland that I find disgusting. I'd personally love to name and shame, but I couldn't afford the legal bills.

Advertisement