Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does shape matter to extension planning?

• 22-02-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I am building an extension to rear of my house, 34sq mtrs so under planning requirements. Just wondering if I will need planning though if I am going out past the sightline of the rear of the house (when viewed from the front).

See the link below:
    - black square -> existing house
    - blue square -> proposed extension
    - green line -> back garden wall (2mtrs high).

I've checked the planning laws and there is no mention that I cannot do what I am proposing but that's not to say that my interpretation is correct, but just really want to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mickahwallace/extension/extension.jpg

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That looks fine to me. So long as the proposed extension does not move forward of the rear building line (back wall) of the house it would be exempt. Just make sure you comply with the other conditions - 25 sq. metres of open space to be retained, distance from boundary, height of roof etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Hey Muffler,

Yeah, there should be plenty, at least 40sq mtr left. The blue square in the pic will join the existing house as the corner by one block, but I can't see that being a problem. Although I do live in Wicklow so who knows what the planners down here would say...................I'll take my chances :D

Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gonna have to disagree with muffler on this one.

The criteria in the LAs i deal with state that once the extension extends beyond the line of the side of the dwelling its not exempt. The extension should not be visible beyond the sides of the dwelling.

perhaps contact your local authority to get a definitive answer.

Damn, was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Right, will give them a buzz to find out.

Thanks for the update sydthebeat

wicklah wrote: »
    Damn, was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Right, will give them a buzz to find out.

Thanks for the update sydthebeat

can you let us know..... there is always diversity on how different LAs consider regs.
    the LAs i deal with would be Laois, Kildare, Offaly and Kilkenny mostly.

• Advertisement

Yip the regulations can be interpreted in different ways. In Donegal your proposal would be deemed as being exempt but it may be no harm to contact your local planning office if in doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Gonna have to disagree with muffler on this one.

The criteria in the LAs i deal with state that once the extension extends beyond the line of the side of the dwelling its not exempt. The extension should not be visible beyond the sides of the dwelling.

perhaps contact your local authority to get a definitive answer.

Snap ! I agree ( all Dublins + meath coco's)

On a similar note lads how do your individual planning depts. view a detached garage in relation to its location being exempt.

It has to be located behind the front building line of the dwelling.....

other than that and the other requirements there doesnt seem to be issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Behind front line of building in dublin, rarelt in front of this anyway

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It has to be located behind the front building line of the dwelling.....

other than that and the other requirements there doesnt seem to be issues.
    The front building line its here and in the regs

edit; Ah you've changed it.

clear as mud as usual Muffler

DLRCC made a client apply for retention for a detached single story sun room to front ( 5m x 4m x 3m high ) . Located to front so , no surprise

however same enforcement officer was satisfied on same site the a 4m x 2.5 x 3m high detached to side plant room ( heat pump ws tank ) was exempt .

as we discussed at length elsewhere ( attics - say no more ) the regs could be worded just a little bit better :rolleyes:

ALSO - where you intend to widen a driveway access - not exempt . Include always in planning application description of development . Plenty of neighbours in 'burbs will shop you to enforcement for this . doesn't matter if clearly stated on drawings . You may have to re apply just for this later - with description in advert + site notice :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

If you were building/replacing an old garage out back that had a flat roof, how high can you go above original height if you were doing an A roof...3/4 meters or less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sinnerboy wrote: »
    ALSO - where you intend to widen a driveway access - not exempt . Include always in planning application description of development . Plenty of neighbours in 'burbs will shop you to enforcement for this . doesn't matter if clearly stated on drawings . You may have to re apply just for this later - with description in advert + site notice :mad:

Its generall good to include a "and asscioted works", and a "and landscaping work" clause at the end, that way neighbours can't nit pick at the wording

Mellor wrote: »
    Its generall good to include a "and asscioted works", and a "and landscaping work" clause at the end, that way neighbours can't nit pick at the wording

we include 'and all associated site works' on ever application where applicable.

we have often included 'and all associated site works' when applying for retention of developments to protect against narky neighbours complaining about every little bit of development change.

mad m wrote: »
    If you were building/replacing an old garage out back that had a flat roof, how high can you go above original height if you were doing an A roof...3/4 meters or less?
    For it to be exempt the max height of the ridge is 4 metres providing its slates or tiles to match the house. Any other type of roof is max. 3 metres.

Was talking to them yesterday and they said that they will post out their documentation and then leave it up to myself to decide if I need to proceed with planning permission.

I might just go ahead with the build and apply for permission at the same time, I doubt it will be refused due to the site and the like (I've no neighbour on that side). It is probably the best course of action at this time particularly if I plan on selling the house in the future.

best to apply first . second best is to post or fax even a simple sketch in to the planning officer . to see " if he /she "would have any difficulty" granting a permission . smooths things later

Was talking to them yesterday and they said that they will post out their documentation and then leave it up to myself to decide if I need to proceed with planning permission.

I might just go ahead with the build and apply for permission at the same time, I doubt it will be refused due to the site and the like (I've no neighbour on that side). It is probably the best course of action at this time particularly if I plan on selling the house in the future.

What a croak of the proverbial......

Thats a very poor effort. Its the first time I've ever hear of it being left to an individual to decide if the wanted to apply for PP or not. But then again nothing surprises me any more when it comes to planning.
    I might just go ahead with the build and apply for permission at the same time
    No, dont do this. Apply first and wait until you have the PP and then start work. If I was to tell you to proceed and then apply for retention then I would have to ban myself for breach of charter. So I wont tell you that. ;)
    The worst thing you can do in this situation is to make a planning application and then proceed with the work. If and when the planners would visit the site you would be ordered to cease all work, withdraw the current application and submit a new one for retention and completion which will set you back more money and time.
    It is probably the best course of action at this time particularly if I plan on selling the house in the future.
    If in doubt at all you should always seek PP for the development and you will have no problems in the future.

Picking up on sinnerboys post above you could submit a very rough sketch to the local planner for comment. Maybe even ask if you do in fact need permission for the proposal. As stated above it does vary from county to county.

• Advertisement

Had a read through the brochure they (Wicklow Co Co) sent, and I can see absolutely nothing that says I cannot do what I am hoping to do. There is no mention of line of sight from front of the house etc.

Therefore I will just lash on ahead, excellent :D

Advertisement