Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many roundabouts?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

On your regular commute each day, how many roundabouts do you normally go through?

ETA: I take 6 myself and flyover 1.

How many roundabouts? 53 votes

None
    0% 0 votes
    18% 10 votes
    15% 8 votes
    16% 9 votes
    5% 3 votes
    5% 3 votes
    3% 2 votes
    5% 3 votes
    3% 2 votes
    9% 5 votes
    10 or more
    1% 1 vote
    Dungarvan
    13% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Last few months I've been in Fas. 7 from Tallaght to Cabra. I've gone through all of them gefore I've gone trough Drimnagh. I could avoid 5 of thos by taking parallel roads to 2 I take, but just habit in the way I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

corblimey wrote: »
    On your regular commute each day, how many roundabouts do you normally go through?

Is this a trick question?

I work from home so I don't go around any!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

1 on the way there but I have to take 3 on the way back. (Damn one-way streets!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Carlow..

So 5 to get onto a main road.
    Then about 14 or 15 on the way into work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Celbridge to Blanchardstown by "back" roads usually 7 or 8, though 4 of those are on the same road through an industrial estate.

Even still though the reliance on roundabouts for junctions over here is shocking! Of all the times I have been to the states I have only seen 1 roundabout over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

6 going to work and 10 on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Way to:

1 in Celbridge, about 7 through Newcastle and one at the N7

Way home: 1 big one or 1 small one, depending on which way I go through Clondalkin and 1 at the M4 in Maynooth

I take two totally different routes due to traffic flows...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1, and only because the entrance to work has its own roundabout!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oh dungarvan, what a rediculous place for roundabouts. Is the OP from there or is it just a known thing about the amount of roundabouts they have.
    Generally Il only use 1 roundabout going to college, but on a trip from Galway to Dungarvan which I do every now and then, ill take somewhere around 26 or so. Thats off the top of my head. 8 on the way out of galway, about 6 in dungarvan (not going into the town) and about 6 inbetween (Limerick, Tipp, and some bypasses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Carlow..

about the same as clio, being in carlow too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Oh dungarvan, what a rediculous place for roundabouts.
    Is Dungarvan worse than Portlaoise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

There's loads of them in Mullingar..
    They even stuck a mini roundabout on the busiest junction in town.
    Most people just drive over it! It's handy for U turns though

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

What's the point of this thread:confused: It's a bit after hours don't ya think;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh dungarvan, what a rediculous place for roundabouts. Is the OP from there or is it just a known thing about the amount of roundabouts they have.
    Not sure how well known it is, I have to go through there on the way from Cork to Wexford to visit the parents. It's such a pain in the hole little town, what is it 8 roundabouts I think just to bypass it, and most of the them completely unnecessary as far as I can see, as nearly all right turns (from Cork side) just go into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

only 2 goin to college, there in the process of building another one but i dont count it as no one can go around it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

8 each way, Derry loves roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

During rush hour(s): 15 on the way to college & 13 on the way back.
    (most in clonee, mulhuddart, tyrellstown area)#

If going at off-peak times 5 to and 5 back.

colsers22 wrote: »
    There's loads of them in Mullingar..
    They even stuck a mini roundabout on the busiest junction in town.
    Most people just drive over it! It's handy for U turns though

Everytime I go to Mullingar now the drivers are so aggressive.
    A side effect of the mini roundabout mania?

I have 3 but my commute is 3 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

I love roundabouts mainly for the reason that their quicker and cheaper for us all compared to traffic lights. However, I notice alot of people cut across them and I'm forever getting worried that the idiot to the left of me is going to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Rovi wrote: »
    Is Dungarvan worse than Portlaoise?
    And he's from Galway, where they're so proud of their roundabouts that they've given them all names!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I drive 2 miles to work and the route is across a bypass, where I've to go through 4 roundabouts but have to drive across 2 of those "fried egg" small roundabouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Carlow..

Yeah 14 on the way to college

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Here's a challenge for those that answered 10 or more: Get up early on Monday and find the route with the least roundabouts. I'm pretty sure I can do my commute with zero roundabouts.

Also how many of you can completely cut traffic lights out of your commute as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

javaboy wrote: »
    Here's a challenge for those that answered 10 or more: Get up early on Monday and find the route with the least roundabouts. I'm pretty sure I can do my commute with zero roundabouts.

Also how many of you can completely cut traffic lights out of your commute as well?

Not unless I got a job IN my housing estate I can't :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

javaboy wrote: »

I can cut 1 roundabout and 4 traffic lights out and only have 1 set of traffic lights. Plus if traffics bad going the 1 traffic lights way cuts about 30 mins off my trip to make it 15mins.
    If traffics ok its 15mins either way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

2, including one painted on the road. So only one that people actually treat like a roundabout, really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Portlaoise has to be the worst town in Ireland for rondabouts. Honestly you'd get dizzy driving around the town. It even has double roundabouts!:mad:

Advertisement