Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thought just came to me this morning

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

It was a shock as I haven't had one in awhile....

Has anyone ever been (or is it possilbe to be) pulled over for speeding on a bicycle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

When I was about 10 years old I got banned from a camp site as I kept cycling faster than the 5mph speed limit in front of the owner.

Does that count? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kinda, I was cycling back from the Gym the other day and feeling fantastic. There is a great corner that I love to just go around because it feels cool. after I came off the Corner there was a Bike Garda and I blew right past her. She shouted after me so I stopped. She came up and started explaining all the things I did wrong.

No Helmet
    No Hi-vis
    Going too fast (about 30 kmph)
    no concern for other cyclists (I came within 2 meters of her)
    Not paying attention (I was perfectly concentrated on what I was doing)

I got no ticket but I did get a stern talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i wouldn't be surprised if somebody was given a 'stern talking to' after being spotted descending howth hill, either side, into the village or past the school + graveyard. 'cos you can reach some serious speeds on those roads.

and since when is wearing a helmet + hi-vis compulsory/law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

None of those things are against the rules of the road, AFAIK, so she couldn't have given you a ticket - but she probably thought she had your best interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ba wrote: »
    i wouldn't be surprised if somebody was given a 'stern talking to' after being spotted descending howth hill, either side, into the village or past the school + graveyard. 'cos you can reach some serious speeds on those roads.

and since when is wearing a helmet + hi-vis compulsory/law?

I love the graveyard stretch :)
    Mind you, some days I feel like I'm going to end up in it what with all the parked cars and obstacles that accumulate there later in the day. A couple of times I've overtaken cars on the way down, it's just too frustrating sitting behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Since bikes have no built in speedometer, there is no reasonable way for them to expect you to measure your speed - all you can guage it on is headwind, but sure that changes all the time. I guess in theory they could pull you, and the best you can do is hide your bike comp (some little scrote stole it from the bike!) and act incredibly surprised that you managed to achieve such a speed, that you had no idea you were capable of going that fast *on a pushbike*! AND you were even on the brakes too! Wow.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

there was a Bike Garda and I blew right past her. She shouted after me so I stopped. She came up and started explaining all the things I did wrong.

don't stop next time, it would be cool to see a real life garda chase on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am pretty sure that bikes are subject to the same speed limits as any other vehicle. You can also be done for riding recklessly. I have read reports of people getting tickets in other countries certainly, but not in Ireland.

I have managed to break the limit (just) in an 80 km/h zone. Needless to say it was downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can't see anything explicit about a bicycle. They mention "vehicles" which are "driven".

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/speed.html
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/pedal-cyclist.html

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Raam wrote: »
    I can't see anything explicit about a bicycle. They mention "vehicles" which are "driven".

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/speed.html
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/pedal-cyclist.html

One of the major problems with the 'rules of the road' booklets is that all the talk about is cars, drivers & driving. No proper mention of cycling or even pedestrians, not even shown in photos or diagrams.

The rules of the road are an interpetation of the law, not the law.

I'm open to correction on this, but I'm pretty sure a cyclist in charge of a vehicle is bound by all rules of the road where applicable. Speed limits apply.
    If I remember correctly, for some reason the Blood alcohol limits don't apply, but you can be charged for being 'drunk in charge of a bicycle'. There was some other thread about somebody being done for this in Galway lately.

Later
    Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I was stopped some years ago on a well surfaced downhill near a well known local speedtrap area. I hadn't noticed a motorbike cop driving behind me whilst I hit speeds (with the aid of a nice tailwind) of around 70kph in a 50kph residential area. He just gave me a lecture on the rules of the road applying to cyclists also etc... I responded by apologising and then as he was pulling away challenging him to a race to the traffic light 200 yards up the road, sprinting away as hard as I could. He just drove past again shaking his head (at this point I was doing 40kph and being cheered by a bunch of people from a bus stop shelter). Happy times.

And yes, just to confirm, you can be done for being drunk in charge of a bike. An associate of mine, naming no names, at the Waterford Spraoi several years ago decided to cycle home from the pub. Wobbling off down the road before we could grab him. Thankfully he turned the corner and literally into the back of a Paddy Wagon. They took him and the bike to the barracks, kept him there for the night and brought him to court and fined him too. I don't recal if the charge was breach of the peace or if it was specifically related to being drunk in charge of a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

don't stop next time, it would be cool to see a real life garda chase on bikes.
    I've seen a few fit athletic looking Gardai on the bikes but I have to say the majority of them I've seen about the place are porkies who look like they got bike duty because they failed their annual fitness tests. I'm hardly one to critise but I'd still fancy out pacing most of them if I had too. Their bikes look really heavy too. Beyond catching people on foot and the odd skanger on a €150 twin suspension mountain bike I don't think they'd be up too much high speed bike chasing tbh.

Some of the womens look kinda cute though, huffing and puffing and all sweaty trying to cycle the heavy garda bikes up hills. I was going to stop and tell one the other day that her saddle was too low but when I caught up with her she looked well pissed off so I decided to cycle on by rathar than risk getting a clatter off her. She didn't look to be in the mood for taking advice. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Did 88kph down Howth hill (the steep side) when i was younger and didn't know any better !
    As far as i kow sppeding law applies to bakes as well. Drunk cycling ? think its a breach of the peace issue , not a good isdea though !!
    I remember a guy dne for "furious cycling " in England a few (lots) of years ago , he was doing 30 mph in a residential area. Claimed he was training to break Boardmans hour record (never heard of him again). This is an old law so probably still applies in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

RiddleCon wrote: »
    Did 88kph down Howth hill (the steep side) when i was younger and didn't know any better !

88kph :eek:
    God help you if some fool in Howth opens their car door on you as you come down the hill. If it hasn't yet, it'll happen some day.

Amazing speed, well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Hi Miclicmo
    I was a bout 20 and training with a mate (who went on the be Irish triathlon champ) and got carried away.
    Stupid thing to do but great memory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

This is barely related since yee're all talking about rallying round Howth at crazy but impressive speeds, but I noticed today that there's 50kph limit signs around the city centre. I thought the city centre speed limit was brought down to 30kph recently?

I can hit 30 easily enough and not hinder any car traffic, but if the limit is 50 then I gotta watch my ass for impatient drivers. So is the speed limit 30 or is it 50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

30kph for a few areas in central Dublin. Near Parnell St in D1, O'Connell St and possibly the quays in D1 are the areas I know of.
    But generally anywhere outside of central Dublin is higher than 30kmh.
    Oh and near Talbot St too. Tbh anywhere that is 30kph is well advertised by signs

Since you asked about Dublin I've only answered about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

micmclo wrote: »
    30kph for a few areas in central Dublin. Near Parnell St in D1, O'Connell St and possibly the quays in D1 are the areas I know of.
    But generally anywhere outside of central Dublin is higher than 30kmh.
    Oh and near Talbot St too. Tbh anywhere that is 30kph is well advertised by signs

Since you asked about Dublin I've only answered about there.

I believe it's a Dublin specific thing, don't think it's like that anywhere else. Parliament st. is 50 for example, It all seems a bit arbitrary and confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

operation freeflow gaurd is standing in middle of cycle lane on the nangor road i missed him by millimeters doing about 40kph my brother behind me got the smell of brown coming from him he got stopped and a big lecture i stopped up the road and a laughing fit

also something i love to do is people at bus stops on cyclanes the irish are fine but certain nationalitys seem very ignorant when it comes to moving out of the way so i charge straight at them I swear there stupid they look at me coming for them and dont move

Advertisement