Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 140 se exec or mondeo 125 zetec

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on the above, both are around the same price.

It will be a company car so has to be new, also has to cope with a family of 5.

Would like couple of extras - blue tooth and keyless entry/starting -but dont know if these extras are available on the 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tough decision! I'd probably go with the 6, but then again I have one! Or maybe the Mondeo... I think you can only get the keyless start on the top 6 model - Sport SE or something. I think either will be a fine car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I suppose it boils down to personal preference as both cars are rated as being at the top of their class.

I personally would go for the Mazda, I think the styling looks alot less fussy than the Mondeo. I think the boot on the saloon Mondeo sticks out too long.

While superfical and probably anal I like the chrome surroundings on the windows of the 6. Gives it that little bit more upmarket feel than the Mondeo. Saying that the Mondeo does have the advantage of having a wider range of engines and trim levels than the 6 does. It's things like that which can sway you one way or the other.

OP the best advice I can give is for you to test drive both cars and see which one you like best. As it is a company car you will probably be spending alot of time in the car so only you can make the final decision at the end of the day.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

While availability on the Mondeo isn't as fantastic as you might think, the Mazda 6 2.0 SE Exec in Diesel is even worse. I ordered one recently and my supplier had one coming through at the end of March (luckily the colour my customer was after) but anything else was going to be towards the end of the year or even next year!

Might be the odd one or two floating around in dealers across the country, but might help to make up your mind to a car you can actually get hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Thanks Guys

ROR i notice youve been driving the laguna 111 what did you think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Here we go! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys

ROR i notice youve been driving the laguna 111 what did you think

For a 1.5 Diesel the engine has a good bit of poke.

And that's probably about the best thing I can say about it so I'll leave it there.

any other comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have an old model Mazda 6 Sport. Hugely underrated car IMO - I was hoping to upgrade to the new model but I'm undecided at the moment.

My main gripe: to get the equipment I want e.g. bluetooth, 18'' alloys etc., i'd have to go for at least the Sport spec.

Firstly, the Sport spec - for some unfathomable reason - is not available in diesel. :rolleyes:

On top of that, they've lumbered the top-spec models with this slightly chavtastic body-kit:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=927487

So if you want the aforementioned Bluetooth for example, you've no choice but look like an overgrown boy racer... An Exec SE with decent set of toys and (personally) 18'' wheels would look fantastic IMO. But spec choices provided by Mazda are very poor I think...

I'd still have one over a Mondeo though, which is a bit of a barge IMO. With family of 5 though that might be a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd say the mazda is the better choice for keen drivers, because of its light weight and more poke.The mondeo though, IMO has a better quality and better designed interior.I'm also guessing that the mondeo has more interior space.The mondeo is probably better as a family car.BTW i definately prefer the looks of the mondeo but many like how the new 6(apparently) looks like a lexus

I hope nobody minds me bumping this up.

If you where to chose ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you where to chose ?

Mondeo. Best drivers' car in the class. That would be the most important to me. It's a brand new model, it is big. Read a few reviews on line. They are all very positive indeed

In the past, the depreciation on a Mondeo was painful. It is unknown if that will remain with the new model, but you don't care because it is a company car :)

unkel wrote: »
    Mondeo. Best drivers' car in the class. That would be the most important to me. It's a brand new model, it is big. Read a few reviews on line. They are all very positive indeed

In the past, the depreciation on a Mondeo was painful. It is unknown if that will remain with the new model, but you don't care because it is a company car :)

have you driven one

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

have you driven one

No I haven't. But dozens of professional car journalists have and they're impressed. Very impressed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't forget to buy in July, and make it a diesel whatever you decide.

The Mondeo is now available in ECOnetic trim, it's sold as a Zetec here(but Ford haven't updated their website for Ireland:(), CO2 starts from 139 g/km, so it is the greenest car in it's class apart from the Laguna 1.5 dCi.

What that means to you is 16% VRT rather than 20% with the Mazda and a road tax bill of €150 rather than €290 a year, so the Mondeo 1.8 TDCi should be a fair deal cheaper in July than at present.

EDIT: didn't realise that the OP is getting a company car until now, so the above is no good to the OP. Sorry! Though for anyone interested in a private purchase, this is worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Dont buy the Mondeo anyway, highly over-rated car and a pure salesperson car and company, cheap and cheerful scrap!!! Wouldnt buy a Ford full stop :pac:

Alz® wrote: »
    Dont buy the Mondeo anyway, highly over-rated car and a pure salesperson car and company, cheap and cheerful scrap!!! Wouldnt buy a Ford full stop :pac:

Have you driven the new Mondeo???

As you are such an expert what would you recommend?

OP - The Mondeo is great to drive, and a nice place to be stuck in traffic in. I haven't driven the new Mazda 6 yet. The only one we had in so far this year was cleaned and collected by the driver on the same day. I'd say the drive is very similar to the Mondeo, just don't know what it's like to sit in and whether the seats are as comfy as the Mondeo.

Advertisement