Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Bum..again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can't help but notice the number of first time posters in this thread, i think we have someone with multiple accounts, and to say that the homeless man is 28 is just fúcking stupid, you talk about us not having facts about this, your made up piece of crap "scrap book" is not evidence, common sense is all the evidence anyone needs. Mods lock this thread, and hand out numerous bans please.
    Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pertive

I can't help but notice the number of first time posters in this thread, i think we have someone with multiple accounts, and to say that the homeless man is 28 is just fúcking stupid, you talk about us not having facts about this, your made up piece of crap "scrap book" is not evidence, common sense is all the evidence anyone needs. Mods lock this thread, and hand out numerous bans please.
    Alan.
    this is the kind of bitter negativety that ruins spirited academic debate, why doesn't anyone who has a negative comment just go start a new thread and stop trying to ruin this one, shame on you.

Pertive wrote: »
    this is the kind of bitter neagtivety that ruins spirited academic debate, why doesn't anyone who has a nagative comment just go start a new thread and stop trying to ruin this one, shame on you.

Spirited academic debate? that's the funniest thing i've ever heard!
    Stop trolling, you silly dope

No you stop trolling, why don't you just leave it. If you don't like it then let it go, i'm not trying to annoy you I just think everyone would be better off without you posting your negative remarks. Stop being so childish

Pertive wrote: »
    No you stop trolling, why don't you just leave it. If you don't like it then let it go, i'm not trying to annoy you I just think everyone would be better off without you posting your negative remarks. Stop being so childish

hahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Warned and infracted for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stripedpyjamas

There is a certain level of immaturity being brought to this debate, by alanstrainor,pertive and others.

I really didn't want to make a big deal about this at all, I just wanted to share with you that piece of information, on the basis that the Bum seems to be a bit of cult hero around these here parts! I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit. I genuinely amn't trolling.

With regard to the book, I am seriously more than happy to scan a bit of it up onto this site, if people really want, but I'd really rather not, cos its gonna take so long! Why don't we move the conversation along a wee bit. Does anyone have any decent UCD Bum anecdotes? Good stories? Can anyone confirm whether UCD feed him or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There is a certain level of immaturity being brought to this debate, by alanstrainor,pertive and others.

I really didn't want to make a big deal about this at all, I just wanted to share with you that piece of information, on the basis that the Bum seems to be a bit of cult hero around these here parts! I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit. I genuinely amn't trolling.

With regard to the book, I am seriously more than happy to scan a bit of it up onto this site, if people really want, but I'd really rather not, cos its gonna take so long! Why don't we move the conversation along a wee bit. Does anyone have any decent UCD Bum anecdotes? Good stories? Can anyone confirm whether UCD feed him or not?

Do, scan it. Where did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Yeah, and be sure to scan the title & copyright pages, while your at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

When are we going to see some bums then, this thread promises so much but delivers so little :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arsebandity

I had heard something similar before about the talented youth thing squandering all his money, wasn't sure of the details but I'd have to disagree with the age thing unfortunately. Other than that, there is certainly some level of authenticity to this whole business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Pertive, strypedpyjamas. You two are either joking at this point or your intelligence stoops to very very low levels. My money is on the latter. I can dispute all the evidence here because why should I believe some randomer who found a speculative book of urban myths and insists that it be taken as gospel truth? The guy is not 28. The euro only came in in 2002. There was no machine in the library like the one described because I was there. And when I asked people who had been in UCD before I got there in 2000 they told me that guy had been knocking around for years. Grow Up. Honestly just grow up. I'm not the only person here questioning this absolutely ludicrous and laughable story. Your credibility is in tatters. And yes go ahead and post the cr@p you found. It wont make me anymore convinced. Who knows you probably wrote the thing yourself. You're a deluded chap. Go back to bed Margaret. Or "Margarent" as you spelled it.

forbesii wrote: »
    Pertive, strypedpyjamas. You two are either joking at this point or your intelligence stoops to very very low levels. My money is on the latter. I can dispute all the evidence here because why should I believe some randomer who found a speculative book of urban myths and insists that it be taken as gospel truth? The guy is not 28. The euro only came in in 2002. There was no machine in the library like the one described because I was there. And when I asked people who had been in UCD before I got there in 2000 they told me that guy had been knocking around for years. Grow Up. Honestly just grow up. I'm not the only person here questioning this absolutely ludicrous and laughable story. Your credibility is in tatters. And yes go ahead and post the cr@p you found. It wont make me anymore convinced. Who knows you probably wrote the thing yourself. You're a deluded chap. Go back to bed Margaret. Or "Margarent" as you spelled it.

A number of points in response:

- I have been nothing but reasonable and fair and honest in my dealings on this thread so far. I believe it totally inappropriate for people to get so angry and petulent about this. After all, in the middle ages, people who claimed the world was round were derided, but they were proved right; I think that anecdote has alot of relevence to this situation. Its so unreasonable to get so staunch when you have no proof I'm lying.

- people have gotten in trouble already for calling people stupid, so I'd stop if I were you. Especially since its taken you 8 years to graduate from college, most poeple are out within 3 or 4. Less time on Boards and more time at the books will stand you in good stead.

- The machine does exist, have a quick look below the library. And if its such an obvious lie, why did you have to go and ask people about the whther the machine was there before your time/ Obviously you arn't too sure about all this.

- I personally don't know Margaret, but at least my spelling error was a kistake, you're the one who put an @ into the word crap. Crap is spelled with an 'a', not an @.

- I dont insist that it be taken as gospel truth, and as Pertive, who unlike you appears to be at least semi-reasonable, pointed out, you dont have to read this if you dont want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felletor

Listen man you have serious issues this started as a fun board and now you and others have turned it into an outlet for your anger and bitterness for life. I have never posted before put felt compelled to upon reading your post. You need serious help, if your still in college from the year 2000 its obvious that things aren't really working. So why not direct your energy towards doing something with yourself as opposed to taking it out on others. PM me if you like I know some people that could help you. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

holy...
    some dudes on here need to chill out. its a story, no need to get so het up over it!

true anger is not welcome in this discussion, chill out or get out

A number of points in response:

- I have been nothing but reasonable and fair and honest in my dealings on this thread so far. I believe it totally inappropriate for people to get so angry and petulent about this. After all, in the middle ages, people who claimed the world was round were derided, but they were proved right; I think that anecdote has alot of relevence to this situation. Its so unreasonable to get so staunch when you have no proof I'm lying.

- people have gotten in trouble already for calling people stupid, so I'd stop if I were you. Especially since its taken you 8 years to graduate from college, most poeple are out within 3 or 4. Less time on Boards and more time at the books will stand you in good stead.

- The machine does exist, have a quick look below the library. And if its such an obvious lie, why did you have to go and ask people about the whther the machine was there before your time/ Obviously you arn't too sure about all this.

- I personally don't know Margaret, but at least my spelling error was a kistake, you're the one who put an @ into the word crap. Crap is spelled with an 'a', not an @.

- I dont insist that it be taken as gospel truth, and as Pertive, who unlike you appears to be at least semi-reasonable, pointed out, you dont have to read this if you dont want to.

eh it hasn't taken me 8 years to graduate. i graduated in 2004. just because i posted here it means i'm still in college? i saw this ridiculous thread (the minute details, not the story itself) and decided to comment. the machine wasn't there in my time (which is, according to the story, also the bum's time), and read my post again- i've asked people about the bum- not the machine. why would i ask people about a machine? and using @ was done on purpose so as to not have that particular word censored out. dont worry its a common technique on boards and often used by people when swearing. and really what has this turned into a hippy commune where everyone plays nice? you make outlandish claims people are bound to disagree with you. let me say it again, the fabric of your story may well be correct, the small details of it are complete and utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Everyone calm down, or ther'l be wippin's from de ban-stick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol stop feeding the troll!

but a troll is what we have been looking for ages in UCD forum :D play nice!

edit:
    just find out that there are multiples trolls here!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

stolenwine wrote: »
    When are we going to see some bums then, this thread promises so much but delivers so little :D

I second that

If you are going to go the the whole 'you spelled this wrong route', you could at least spell stripedpyjamas name correctly
    felletor wrote: »
    Listen man you have serious issues this started as a fun board and now you and others have turned it into an outlet for your anger and bitterness for life. I have never posted before put felt compelled to upon reading your post. You need serious help, if your still in college from the year 2000 its obvious that things aren't really working. So why not direct your energy towards doing something with yourself as opposed to taking it out on others. PM me if you like I know some people that could help you. :mad:

+1

Now time for me to wade in on this. First of all I have been a member since 2006 as you can see, so no fake accounts here. This story has been told to me by numerous different people. There is also a rumour that he saved a girl from being raped, which may or may not be true, but that doesn't need to change stripedpyjamas' story. The joke also goes that he is an old arts student who got stuck in stage X, and now wanders the corridors looking for tutorials that exist only in his mind. Back to the point - if you a bitter and looking for a place to release tension forbesii then go buy a stress ball. People wanted to try to find some info on a popular UCD character and you responded with aggression for some reason. Pointing out minute details such as the punt being the currency at the time can be easily explained by careless transcribing of the story. Take a look at this http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.htm , you would probably really enjoy it. Why has this turned into a big conspiracy theory? That game is known to be addictive and it is no surprise with 20,000 students in UCD per year that one fell by the wayside. You need to open your mind a little. There are people who still work in UCD who can verify this story. There is no reason why you could not have just been skeptical; instead you just decided you knew everything and that everyone else was wrong. You need to take a look at your analytical methods, and until you do, maybe you should ease off posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

yeh.. bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

duty_calls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Pythia wrote: »
    That story can't be too old as Economics and Finance was only brought in as a degree about 10 years ago, which would make him 28 max, which is what is said there. But he's not 28.

It's a made up story folks!

Arguably the stupidest point ever made in an forum.

HE CANT BE 28, ECONOMICS AND FINANCE ONLY CAME IN TEN YEARS AGO, WHICH WOULD MEAN HE STARTED IT AT 18, WHICH IS THE USUAL AGE TO BEGIN A DEGREE, MAKING HIM 28 NOW. CAN'T YOU SEE HOW IT IS MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE?

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

That game started to get popular in pool halls and pubs in 2001/2002 IIRC
    I really don't think it existed in 1998.

This is going round in circles. i think the subject matter of the story may be true. the small details and timescale are 100% wrong. and oh my god you students are becoming more hippy like than ever before! peace man, say no to war. :)

This is going round in circles. i think the subject matter of the story may be true. the small details and timescale are 100% wrong. and oh my god you students are becoming more hippy like than ever before! peace man, say no to war. :)

'You students...'? Are you telling me you're not even a student, and yet you believe you are qualified to comment here? Jesus, can't believe I wasted my time arguing with someone who dosent even know what they're talking about.

And El Griff, can you not see that if you're 28 and the degree started 10 years ago, and you were 18 then, and you're 28 now, but you didn't do the degree in the first place unless you were young enough, which you wern't, and that was ten years ago, that its obviously true?

'You students...'? Are you telling me you're not even a student, and yet you believe you are qualified to comment here? Jesus, can't believe I wasted my time arguing with someone who dosent even know what they're talking about.

eh are you reading any of the replys? maybe you cant read. how am i not qualified to comment? I was in UCD until 2004. Thats less than 4 years ago just in case you're having difficulty. The bum was as much part of the furniture then as he is now. And due to the fact I'm in UCD most days of the week for one reason or another and I see the guy walking around, I'm as entitled to comment as you are. my god, start attending your lectures man and brush up on your reading skills. or at least spend less time reading urban myth rubbish.

eh are you reading any of the replys? maybe you cant read. how am i not qualified to comment? I was in UCD until 2004. Thats less than 4 years ago just in case you're having difficulty. The bum was as much part of the furniture then as he is now. And due to the fact I'm in UCD most days of the week for one reason or another and I see the guy walking around, I'm as entitled to comment as you are. my god, start attending your lectures man and brush up on your reading skills. or at least spend less time reading urban myth rubbish.

1. I can read perfectly fine thanks.

2. The Bum is a human being, its disrespectful to call him a piece of the furniture

3. Its not 'rubbish', its true as far as I'm concerned

4. You graduated in 2004, and you're still here most days of the week......is there any chance you ARE the UCD Bum? I know it would fly in the face of the my story, but its still a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

1. I can read perfectly fine thanks.

2. The Bum is a human being, its disrespectful to call him a piece of the furniture

3. Its not 'rubbish', its true as far as I'm concerned

4. You graduated in 2004, and you're still here most days of the week......is there any chance you ARE the UCD Bum? I know it would fly in the face of the my story, but its still a possibility.

scan the pages to silence everyone then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

But it's not disrespectful to call him a bum?

I'd rather a piece of furniture in my house than a bum any day.
    bum.JPG
    Perhaps you should brush up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figurative_language

Advertisement