Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Balbriggan

• 22-02-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

They have finally put in their planning application.

Site is located at Clonard Hill, cornering Harry Reynolds Road and The Cemetery.

Also in the scheme is just what the town needs too, a gaggle of apartments in three and four story blocks :rolleyes:
    Permission for development on a 2.54 hectares site at Clonard Hill. The development includes the construction of a mixed use residential (107 no. units: 14 no. 1 bed, 69 no 2 bed, 24 no. 3 bed apartments), offices (4,542 sq.m. gross) and retail (2,455 sq.m. gross) scheme, including crèche (243 sq.m.), in 5 no. three to four storeys blocks, comprising: 1.) Block 1: 28 no. apartments in a four storey over basement building with balconies and private gardens (4 no. 1 bed; 16 no. 2 bed; 8 no. 3 bed apartments); 2.) Block 2: 17 no. apartments in a four storey over basement building with balconies and private gardens (3 no. 1 bed; 10 no. 2 bed; 4 no. 3 bed apartments), and a crèche measuring 243 sq.m.; 3.) Block 3: a three and four storey over basement retail and office block incorporating a discount food store measuring 1,536 sq.m. gross (1,125 sq.m. net) at ground floor level including an external service area, and 3,030 sq.m. gross office space in 6 no. units on ground, first, second and third floor level; 4.) Block 4: a three to four storey over basement retail and apartment block comprising 4 no. retail units at ground floor level measuring in total 919 sq.m. gross, and 62 no. apartments with balconies and private gardens (7 no. 1 bed; 43 no. 2 bed; 12 no. 3 bed apartments); 5.) a three storey over basement office block measuring 1,512 sq.m. gross; 6.) 466 no. car parking spaces, of which 421 no. are located within underground car parks or under deck, and 45 no. are at podium level. 77 no. car parking spaces will serve the food store, 53 no. car parking spaces will serve the retail units, 155 no. will serve the office space, 176 no. spaces will serve the apartments and 5 no. will serve the crèche; 7.) 160 no. cycle spaces, of which 140 no. are located at basement level and 20 no. at surface level; 8.) Two ESB sub-stations at basement level; 9.) Vehicular access is to be provided off the Clonard Hill road, which is proposed to be realigned and upgraded with new roundabouts as part of the approved Part VIII Stephenstown to Naul Road Distributor Road Link; 10.) All landscape, boundary treatment and site development works including the internal road network.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for that Bluetonic.

That sounds quite huge.

I am in 2 minds whether I agree with it or not though.

Balbriggan needs more industry and shops but definitely doesn't need more small houses and apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for the info Bluetonic - I know they put a sign up there about two years ago, but nothing happened since.

Also Forgive me if this takes is slightly off topic - is there any provision for expanding the cemetary? (Not that I'm planning on moving in there soon, but I'm sure the last thing everyone wants for visiting their loved ones is to be overlooked by a gaggle of apartments?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Also Forgive me if this takes is slightly off topic - is there any provision for expanding the cemetary? (Not that I'm planning on moving in there soon, but I'm sure the last thing everyone wants for visiting their loved ones is to be overlooked by a gaggle of apartments?)
    They really should have reserved some land already for it but i presume they can expand onto the old road and get a good few plots out of that. Still, your right, it will be overlooked by commercial and residential buildings which isn't great. The Cemetery used to be a really peaceful place, all changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Aldi has also suffered a setback for its €60m development plans in Balbriggan. It would include 49,000sq ft of offices, more then 26,400sq ft of retail space and 107 apartments.

While Fingal County Council has approved this project at Clonard Hill, it has imposed development levies of more than €4.1m on the development.

Consequently, it is being appealed to Bord Pleanala by Aldi, but also by The Parkway Partnership which itself plans an even larger shopping centre in the Balbriggan area.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/planning-problems-hit-aldis-northside-hopes-1435021.html
    229986: Clonard Hill, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin. (F08A/0181)

Fingal County Council

Mixed use development of 107 no. residential units 4,542sqm of office space and 2,455sqm of retail space on a 2.54ha site.

Case reference: PL06F.229986

Case type: Planning Appeal

Parties
    Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd (Applicant)
    Parkway Partnership (Appellant) (Active)
    Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd (Appellant) (Active)
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/229986.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Balbriggan already has an Lidl.I can't understand why Aldi or Lidl don't open stores in Swords.They would clean up especially because Swords has such a large Eastern European community.Finglas has both Aldi & Lidl,as does Ashbounre and now Balbriggan will have two.Opening a store in Swords is a no brainier if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

PWEI wrote: »
    Balbriggan already has an Lidl.I can't understand why Aldi or Lidl don't open stores in Swords.They would clean up especially because Swords has such a large Eastern European community.Finglas has both Aldi & Lidl,as does Ashbounre and now Balbriggan will have two.Opening a store in Swords is a no brainier if you ask me.

You are right, I heard the Swords Local Area Plan will allow the retail space around the Pavilions to double so there must be the potential for the two of these to come into that. :)

If you think about them both they have stayed out of "multiple" situations in bigger shopping centres except in a few cases. I know in Blanch they are in the BSC but they are at the edge of it. They always go for sub-prime sites away from footfall. This is why they have stayed away from Rathbeale (JCs) and the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Does anbody know if Swords will be the location of one of the new 35 stores announced today? I haven't been able to find a list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RayMooney

I might be wrong but I believe Swords was one of the first areas in Ireland both Lidl and Aldi considered but a local interest (Mr. Savage) was put before them. In fairness to JC's it always has operated as a discount supermarket and has employed local people from the many corperation estates adjacent to the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

What work is commencing on the site on Clonard Hill, the Circus field site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's been a long time in the works...

• Advertisement

Something is going on in the circus field

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

That decision is still pending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Aldi got planning permission for the field behind the circus field, the one full of trees. The field that has the annual bonfire in is where that planning permission is for. Hopefully the work is providing power into the "Aldi Field" as the store is long over due in the town.
    470320.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Went running by there on the weekend. It looks like site preparations work in the Circus field. Also notice that they are cleaning up the wasteland south of Millfield beside McDonalds. Not sure if it's landscaping or site preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

is this still going ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Would love to see the Aldi development go ahead. 

The planning permission extension was applied for in August 2014 and granted in October 2014. It is valid until October this year so it will have to start soon, get a further extension or it is gone for ever.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F08A/0181/E1&theTabNo=2

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭EarWig

Any news on this?

Advertisement