Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Sligo

Options
  • 22-02-2008 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi Sligonians :)

I may be a jackeen but my father is from your good County!

I am hoping to study in Sligo next Sept and was wondering how easy it would be to get a part-time job?

I would be able to move down before September if that would help my chances before the other students arrived..

Is there many places who hire students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Are you looking to get employment relevant to your studies or just something to tie you over finacially?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Thanks for your reply..

I guess something just to tie me over financially as I will only be in first year and not sure if I will be hired in something in my field on those merits.. I'd be doing social studies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I doubt it would be hard to get something part time. What kind of hours would you be looking for or any type of job in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

McDonalds

There is McDonalds. Or Toucan are always looking for people so if you think you can cope with customer service you could try there.

You're bound to get something anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Toucan won't take on students, just so you know.

I'm guessing pretty much any hours..Evenings, Weekends etc.

I reckon my course will be max lecture times of about 20 hours?

I just don't want to move and all and then not be able to get through Uni :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

One of the places at the retail park maybe (Homebase seem to be always looking for staff)

Toucan won't take on students, just so you know.

Sorry but that's complete rubbish. I know a couple of students who work there at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Dublad, there's any number of part time jobs in shops and bars, you shouldn't have any bother getting something. Good idea to move down before college starts though, so you can miss the initial rush for jobs. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

magnumlady wrote: »
    One of the places at the retail park maybe (Homebase seem to be always looking for staff)

Homebase are not always looking for staff,wish they were though,they could do with a few more people in there but you can always give it a try.
    I'd say your best bet is to look at bars/restaurants as there hours seem to be fairly flexible.

Thanks again y'all..

Another mundane question (Sorry) - If I get a job and move and there is a boards drinkies meet in Sligo I will shout ye a drink (Just one though to share between ye all) :D

Would there be any use in sending my CV down with a letter saying I am hoping to move down soon if I am succesful with a interview and that I would be happy to dedicate the next 4 years to them :) and willing to work 25 - 30 hours a week. This being as opposed to moving down without the promise of a job?

Thanks,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

takola wrote: »
    Sorry but that's complete rubbish. I know a couple of students who work there at weekends.

My sister applied and was told they don't take students, and I've heard that from several other people who've applied. Perhaps they've changed their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a part time job being advertised in the window of Marys of Sligo, between Foleys pub & the Post Office on Castle Street. Saw it this morning.

Advertisement