Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about RAM

Options
  • 22-02-2008 3:51pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I've been thinking of upgrading to PC6400 4 gig of RAM as its going cheap atm :) Got a quick question though, I currently have 2 gig PC5300 RAM in my pc and would if possible like to keep this aswell making it 6 gig :), I'll get 64Bit Vista of course :). Just the question is I wont loose Dual Channel functioning due to it being different speed (I will of course match each stick to its same slot as to enable Dual Channel mode and having the 2 gig 5300 wont affect the 6400s ram speed? Sorry if its a stupid question just curious :D

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Im fairly sure you cant have two different speeds of ram running in your system. In which case you would have the full amount of Ram but your 6400 speed ram would be lowered to the 5300 speed.Not sure if it would stay in dual channel or not.
    Its not a definite that theyll work together as some ram is incapable of being set at different speed ,timings etc... as your faster RAM in this case would have to compromise on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah thats what I thought m8 :( , Any one else had expiereince doing this?

Nick

Advertisement