Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1080P input?

• 22-02-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Ok so I bought a new TV and it has a 1080P input! The guy in the shop told me its not a full HD 1080P TV but it can take 1080P, if what im connecting can do 1080P.. I know the xbox does, but for some reason it wont let me select it! Im using the componet cables and its set to HDTV.. Im just wondering would using a HDMI cable make any difference?

this is the TV in question..

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_37lc55.jhtml

I upgraded it from a 32" Samsung and the differnce is unreal for the extra couple of inches!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well, what I think it means is that it will accept a 1080p signal but it doesn't have the capability to produce that signal at that resolution.

It's a 720p native resolution TV, so it will output the 1080p at probably, 1080i, 720p and all the others.

What you'll prob pick for the 360 is 1080i or 720p, I go for 720p.

EDIT: If what you mean by "selecting it" is that you can select 1080p res on the xbox settings menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Is there any difference between using the component and HDMI?

Main reason im asking all this is.. A friend got a 32" tv for 500 quid somewhere(I dont know he got it for christmas) and it displays 1080P!

Now getting a 1080P TV for 500 quid is fairly nice.. I was thinking maybe it had this special feature "1080P input" and thats why it was working in 1080P! I dont know though!

There was a nice difference between 1080i and p when we tried it on his tv.. Everything in 1080P was alot sharper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That said I wouldn't loose sleep if you can "only" use 1080i their isn't a huge difference between it and 1080p (again don't listen to the videophiles!)

On a 32" LCD the difference between 1080i and 1080p might be difficult
    to notice, but if you can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p on
    a 42" + TV you need to get yourself down to Specsavers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well none of mates can notice the difference on a Sony Bravia 52" HD TV. Maybe we aren`t all wearing our 1080p hype glasses :)

If you have a 52" sony bravia that has a native resolution of 1080p then you won't really see any difference because the 1080i will be displayed as 1080p.

The difference between looking at 1080p on a native 1080p screen and 1080i on a native 720p screen is noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

person in shop is talking rubbish. that tv cant produce 1080p pictures its
    1080i. even if it could the xbox doesn't support 1080p games so don't waste money buying different cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

person in shop is talking rubbish. that tv cant produce 1080p pictures its 1080i.
    It can't produce 1080i either, or anything over 720p. But it can accept 1080i and 1080p images though.
    even if it could the xbox doesn't support 1080p games
    Yes it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

even if it could the xbox doesn't support 1080p.

The 360 DOES support 1080p and has done for about a year and a half now since before the ps3 was even launched actually.Where are you getting your facts from????

bought a hdmi cable plugged it in... 1080P came up in the display settings straight away. Theres a nice difference over 1080i aswell! Alot sharper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

dazftw wrote: »
    bought a hdmi cable plugged it in... 1080P came up in the display settings straight away. Theres a nice difference over 1080i aswell! Alot sharper!

But you're not seeing 1080p... Your tv is accepting it (only over HDMI, very same as mine) and scaling it down (probably to 720p, though I ain't sure) to be viewed on your panel. Most recent 720p tvs support this because of Blu-ray and the now defunct HD-DVD players outputting in 1080p.

Also, sorry for this, but you're friend having a 32" TV that outputs 1080p (extremely rare) and for 500 quid. Pics or it didn't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As for the inputs most decent HD tv`s will accept a 1080p input but will only output it in 1080i if you know what I mean.
    On a 32" LCD the difference between 1080i and 1080p might be difficult
    to notice, but if you can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p on
    a 42" + TV you need to get yourself down to Specsavers

Theres a couple of quotes above from different posters on how confusing all these new flat screen features are to people. Both are wrong for various reasons but there are a hell of a lot of people that think they are true.

Some basics ,

Unless you own a Hitachi Alis TV , no flat screen can show an interlaced image , none , they all take the signals , and de-interlace and scale to show the final image progressively at the native resolution of the screen.

In short , if you own a 1366 x 768 TV , regardless of what type of signal is fed to it , the final picture you see will be a 1366 x 768 progressive image. The quality of this final picture will vary depending on how hard the TV has to work to convert the incoming signal , but thats the final output anyway.

Regarding 1080i and 720p , a lot of people are under the impression they are the same , they most definitely are not , 720p is a 1280 x 720 resolution , 1080i or 1080p is always a 1920 x 1080 resolution.

There will always be a quality difference between 1080i and 720p no matter what set you watch it on as the electronics behaves in a different way in terms of what it has to do to display the final image.

Regarding 1080i and 1080p , there will be very little difference between these two regardless of what set its shown on , both will end up having approximately the same amount of scaling done to the signal , and on a true 1920 x 1080 native resolution set , the general consensus is that the output is indistinguishable.

Regarding component and HDMI , HDMI is the latest tech and most of the latest flatscreens concnetrate on this as the preferred connection method , therefore it should be the best way to connect and should provide a noticable quality difference over component. HDMI is purely digital.

Component can be as good a picture , but the electronics handling it are entirely different as its an analog feed. As most content you will be watching is coming from a digital source , the quality of the digital to analog conversion comes into play here , which has to be done at source , this can be good , it can also be pretty dire , and as HDMI is where all the focus is at these days , that is most likely to be your best quality input , so stick with that for the best picture. On cheaper sets it is very likely that savings have been made in terms of the analog circuitry.

• Advertisement

But you're not seeing 1080p... Your tv is accepting it (only over HDMI, very same as mine) and scaling it down (probably to 720p, though I ain't sure) to be viewed on your panel. Most recent 720p tvs support this because of Blu-ray and the now defunct HD-DVD players outputting in 1080p.

Also, sorry for this, but you're friend having a 32" TV that outputs 1080p (extremely rare) and for 500 quid. Pics or it didn't happen!

The only 32" lcd that is true 1080p that i know of is a sharp one.Its aimed solely at gamers but it does'nt add up if you ask me

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/676626/art/sharp/lc-32x20e-full-hd-32-wide.html

Over 1200 for a 32"??If this does'nt have 100hz(which is'nt mentioned) its a pointless exercise. Many 37" full hds are now avauilable for circa 1100euro

If this does'nt have 100hz(which is'nt mentioned) its a pointless exercise.

100hz and flat screen TV's , this is another issue cropping up a lot ,

Again , as all flat screens ( except Alis ) are progressive in nature anyway , the benefit of so called 100hz technology on flat screens is very very questionable.

Its not the same as the tech applied to the old CRT's , where it was a real benefit. With a old CRT working at 50hz , the picture was interlaced , and making the set 100hz reduced flicker , however with all flat panels already being progressive at 50Hz/60hz these additions to flat screens seem pointless.

Reading descriptions of the tech applied to flat screens seems to indicate that its not the same tech at all but an interpolation routine , indeed Sony have recently stopped calling it 100hz flicker free and now call it 100Hz motion rendering.

The thing about interpolation is that a screen with a decent refresh rate shouldnt need it at all , indeed many dont and work perfectly well without it. And as with old camera tech , any device that uses interpolation unavoidably introduces artifacts , ( image trails and unwanted motion blur ).

In almost every review of this tech applied to flat screens the universal opinion so far is that the only good thing about the feature is that you can turn it off!

I've always wondered how response times differ from Hz when it comes to lcd's. Surely the response time is the number of frames per second??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

the 100hz thing is to do with the tv adding in an extra frame between the two input frames. So it adds in a "fake" frame to make the transition between two frames smoother. This is according to some samsung tech explanation.
    Response time is how quick a pixel on the LCD screen can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The 360 DOES support 1080p and has done for about a year and a half now since before the ps3 was even launched actually.Where are you getting your facts from????

But none of the games actually run in that resolution, they're all upscaled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ShaneU wrote: »
    But none of the games actually run in that resolution, they're all upscaled.
    Some games run natively in 1080p.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Some games run natively in 1080p.

PGR4 and mass effect run at 1080p natively i believe.I Sure as hell hope that GTA4 does.....

Zonda999 wrote: »
    mass effect run at 1080p natively,

And what fantastic frame rates that has.

ShaneU wrote: »
    And what fantastic frame rates that has.

I've heard nothing but praise for PGR4, so your point swings both ways!

I dont mind if you dont believe me.. Im not going go asking my friend can I take a picture of your TV to show some random lad on the internet your tv does 1080P through your 360 lol...

My 360 and his in display options shows 1080P mine through the hdmi cable!

Also I hooked my TV up to my PC and it has a native res of 1920 X 1080 I can take a picture of that if you like :)

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote: »
    I dont mind if you dont believe me.. Im not going go asking my friend can I take a picture of your TV to show some random lad on the internet your tv does 1080P through your 360 lol...

My 360 and his in display options shows 1080P mine through the hdmi cable!

Also I hooked my TV up to my PC and it has a native res of 1920 X 1080 I can take a picture of that if you like :)

I was being facetious.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that I think someone's (your friend's) facts are wrong. That, or it is the Sharp one and it fell from the back of a lorry for that price...

Your TV has a native resolution of 1366 x 768. It has a set numer of pixels, and you can't see 1080p on it. It can receive 1080p, but that is a completely different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ive got a 26inch hdtv that support all these modes :)

and i paid 400 for it, thanks to argos old stock sales

ive got a 26inch hdtv that support all these modes :)

and i paid 400 for it, thanks to argos old stock sales

My tv supports every mode under the sun!!! Isn't that fantastic. Thing is my TV is 1366 x 768. Now it supports all these modes, but the reality is it displays 720p. Simple as!

Just because a TV supports 1080p, doesn't mean it displays it!

I've heard nothing but praise for PGR4, so your point swings both ways!
    I haven't played pgr4 so I didnt mention it

I've always wondered how response times differ from Hz when it comes to lcd's. Surely the response time is the number of frames per second??

Heres a good breakdown of it , it should also be clear from this why the so called 100hz thing has no relation to flat panels , at least not in the same way as applied to CRT's anyway ,

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_8.html

So , when an LCD has movement blur , its not a 50 hz v 100 hz thing , as 50 would be absolutely fine for a good LCD , it is the screens inherent response time thats at fault , and no amount of frequency doubling can fix that.

Any LCD with a decent response time in ms ( that is black to white to black ) wouldnt need to have this 100hz tech.

Advertisement