Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Disco!!

Options
  • 22-02-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

So I was at a silent disco in Galway on Tuesday night. Absolutely legend idea! :D

So my question to you is does anywhere do them regularly at all, and have you been to it/one yourself?

Mods, couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to post this, feel free to move if necessary, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Silent, as in silent? Whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

lol no, the idea is everyone gets a set of wireless headphones so the music only plays through them, they're called silent discos. I know electric picnic does them, but beyond that it's my first experience of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Like, no sound at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

That sounds like it'd be the best craic ever! Great idea.

I'd love to go to one in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

I think they do them at the Electric Picnic. No idea of anywhere that do them regularly.

Maybe find out from Halo who did it that night and contact them directly to see where they do it the rest of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

What's the point of this exactly? I mean...if you're wearing earphones it's not like you're talking to people or anything...am I missing something here?

Actually it was in Karma, and it was sponsored by o2 for some charity. Absolutely great craic, and the best bit is take the headphones off and you can chat away happily if needs be :)

What's the point of this exactly? I mean...if you're wearing earphones it's not like you're talking to people or anything...am I missing something here?
    As stated, if you're dancing, headphones on. If you're not, take them off. They're just you're standard over the head type headset, so you just let them hang around your neck while your not listening.

I reckon it'd be a great idea for colleges to start having nights (or even in the day) like this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mirror wrote: »
    As stated, if you're dancing, headphones on. If you're not, take them off. They're just you're standard over the head type headset, so you just let them hang around your neck while your not listening.
    So you don't have to listen to the shoite charts music usually played in nightclubs. :D

I heard there was a few of them going on around Galway last week. A few where planing to go but heard that every nightclub was doing it and you had to bring your own iPod for the music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Stupid idea

edit: theres one in NUIM next week but you need a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have seen this at a music festival. Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Fair enough, might be a lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Cool idea! But I can't imagine what it would be like for a load of drunk people walking into a disco, getting this headphones, and not breaking them... is there a deposit?

Is there volume control and all that on the headphones as well?

Mirror, were you talking to anyone that said "oh, this is a **** idea, why can't we just have speakers, like every other disco?".. Just wondering...

ScumLord wrote: »
    So you don't have to listen to the shoite charts music usually played in nightclubs. :D

I heard there was a few of them going on around Galway last week. A few where planing to go but heard that every nightclub was doing it and you had to bring your own iPod for the music.
    Precisely. There were two channels, one was more dance/hiphop and the other was more pop-rock to some quite heavy stuff.

And no, you didn't have to bring your own ipod, that's bull. The whole point is that you're all still listening to the same thing, or one of two things. There were two djs running the channels.

Stupid idea

edit: theres one in NUIM next week but you need a ticket

Stupid in what sense?
    nevf wrote: »
    Cool idea! But I can't imagine what it would be like for a load of drunk people walking into a disco, getting this headphones, and not breaking them... is there a deposit?

Is there volume control and all that on the headphones as well?

Mirror, were you talking to anyone that said "oh, this is a **** idea, why can't we just have speakers, like every other disco?".. Just wondering...

There was a ten euro deposit which you got back in full, handy for your taxi money! ;) and they were quite durable, I dropped mine at one point, no bothers to them. Didn't see any broken sets lying around at the end either.

There is also a volume control.

As for the people there, while we were queuing quite a number of lads came back out past the queue saying don't bother lads, it's a silent disco, it's ****. But that's the reason I was there, and everyone that I spoke to thought it was legendary! The lads coming back out never even bothered to get headsets afaik. :rolleyes:

I think it would be better if you brought your own MP3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Was one in Trinity Rooms in Limerick for RAG week. Great craic. Different. I'd go to another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great things they are. Was at one in UCD recently, its such a laugh. Had Phantom DJ's, so decent music(RATM, Bloodhound Gang:D). Two channels aswell, really fun. Handy to talk to people aswell.

FunkZ wrote: »
    I think it would be better if you brought your own MP3.
    But sure half the fun is knowing you're still dancing to the same songs, or asking one another what they're listening to and laughing about the fact that you've been dancing together to different music! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

There was one at the DCU rag ball, run by Phantom, twas absolutely great craic.. Works really well. My only criticism is the DJ's would NOT shut up between songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I know some artists that run them around Dublin and Meath, but more in a flashmob style. Libraries and the like.

There's a set in the featured galleries part of my website if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Think I'll be avoiding it somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Yeah I was there Mirror, it was class at first, but then the novelty wore off half way through and I decided to go home at half 1, it's good for a try or two, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Was at the one at Electric Picnic a couple of years ago, excellent stuff. I think the original point of them was allow people to keep dancing late after the noise curfew kicks in. Its does look a bit stupid/surreal (depending on how you look at it) from the outside but its good fun.

rb_ie wrote: »

Think I'll be avoiding it somehow...
    And long may you not enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Was one in Trinity Rooms in Limerick for RAG week. Great craic. Different. I'd go to another one.
    There is a couple on for UL rag week in about 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i saw one before, looked SO weird!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

They've definitely been one of the highlights of the Elecric Picnic these past couple of years... Tremendous fun!

Advertisement