Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Disco!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I had heard of them, wasn't sure if I had heard right though. It turns out I had. SOunds like some major fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Altough Im usually against anything with even a whiff of post modern wankolody about it I gotta say the clip above looks like right craic.

Kinda like the idea of two channels as well.
    I can imagen it with maybe dance stuff on one track with a load of kids getting more wired as the track builds up and maybe indie stuff on the other channel with a load of kids jumping around like mad things during the chorus.
    It would look really weird, but in a funny way I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

It's stupid. I went to one once, and it was really funny because I was drunk, and was good for about 5minutes but then you realise how gay it is when you take off the headset to talk to someone. They're sh1te - i wouldn't go to one again. The whole point of discos/nightclubs is that the music is blaring so loud out of speakers that you have to shout in yer mates ear just to say that the guy dancing beside you is hot!

It's one of these modern 'totally out there' things thats supposed to be cool because everyone looks stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

It's stupid. I went to one once, and it was really funny because I was drunk, and was good for about 5minutes but then you realise how gay it is when you take off the headset to talk to someone. They're sh1te - i wouldn't go to one again. The whole point of discos/nightclubs is that the music is blaring so loud out of speakers that you have to shout in yer mates ear just to say that the guy dancing beside you is hot!

It's one of these modern 'totally out there' things thats supposed to be cool because everyone looks stupid.
    Stupidest point ever. There is nothing homosexual about it. The point of nightclubs is not that the music is so loud you can't hear yourself think. And it's not meant to be cool because everyone looks stupid. The only people that look stupid are the people that can't dance, and they would look stupid at a regular disco as well.

Kthxbye.

Mirror wrote: »
    Stupidest point ever. There is nothing homosexual about it. The point of nightclubs is not that the music is so loud you can't hear yourself think. And it's not meant to be cool because everyone looks stupid. The only people that look stupid are the people that can't dance, and they would look stupid at a regular disco as well.

Kthxbye.

:rolleyes: Yes, when I said it looked gay I meant it looked homosexual. That's exactly what I meant.

The whole point of nightclubs IS that the music is so loud. There's also the fact that you go to have a good time, have a few drinks, dance and meet a few people. But the music is always loud. Have you ever been to a nightclub where the music wasn't loud, where it was played at a 'reasonable' level so you were able to actually talk to the people next to you? No. Except for this new revolutionary fantastic new idea of silent disco.

I'm not saying people can't dance, and have a good time at these silent discos I'm just saying it's not for me. And IMO it is stupid. It looks stupid. And the fact that everyones dancing to different music is stupid as well. I'm allowed to have my opinion amn't I?

Sorry, I'm p1ssed off today, for another reason alltogether so don't mean to snap at you.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Yes, when I said it looked gay I meant it looked homosexual. That's exactly what I meant.

That's fair enough, but let me start by saying I have little time for people that use "gay" as a derogatory term. Nothing to do with being gay (I'm not), or having any particular feeling for gay people (I don't), but if someone wants to make a decent point I expect them to be able to come up with something more intelligent and developed than "it's gay!", you know?
    The whole point of nightclubs IS that the music is so loud. There's also the fact that you go to have a good time, have a few drinks, dance and meet a few people. But the music is always loud. Have you ever been to a nightclub where the music wasn't loud, where it was played at a 'reasonable' level so you were able to actually talk to the people next to you? No. Except for this new revolutionary fantastic new idea of silent disco.

As for the point of a nightclub, I would say the point is to dance to music. They play it loudly because 100 or 500 or however many people make quite a bit of noise and the music needs to play over that. And people enjoy dancing to thumping loud music, hell so do I. I regularly attend clubs and enjoy it. But you say "There's also the fact that you go to have a good time, have a few drinks, dance and meet a few people." The people meeting is far easier when all you need to do is take off your headphones if you strike up a conversation. And the music in the headphones is perfectly loud, so you wouldn't know any different, as they're don't block out all sound so you can still here the ambient sounds of the club, people shouting, laughing, singing etc. over the music.
    I'm not saying people can't dance, and have a good time at these silent discos I'm just saying it's not for me. And IMO it is stupid. It looks stupid. And the fact that everyones dancing to different music is stupid as well. I'm allowed to have my opinion amn't I?

Sorry, I'm p1ssed off today, for another reason alltogether so don't mean to snap at you.

It only looks stupid if you can't hear the music. If I was to record myself on video dancing here in my kitchen to music and then take the sound out you would say it looks stupid. If I left the music in, suddenly it's not stupid. I just think this is a ridiculous point altogether, take just video of a silent disco and a regular club and use no sound on either and there's no difference apart from people wearing headphones in one video.

And lastly, everybody is dancing to the same music for the most part. There are only two channels and generally everyone would be on whichever one had the "best" song at the time.

No offense taken, and I'm sorry you had a bad day, but try and form a solid argument or simply accept that they're not for you and don't try and force your opinions on others by bouncing into a thread to slate them based on your experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

actually a video of you dancing in the kitchen would be pretty stupid.

actually a video of you dancing in the kitchen would be pretty stupid.
    I knew someone would say that. But then again, what if I was a highly trained professional dancer? Or nekkid?

That's fair enough, but let me start by saying I have little time for people that use "gay" as a derogatory term. Nothing to do with being gay (I'm not), or having any particular feeling for gay people (I don't), but if someone wants to make a decent point I expect them to be able to come up with something more intelligent and developed than "it's gay!", you know?

As for the point of a nightclub, I would say the point is to dance to music. They play it loudly because 100 or 500 or however many people make quite a bit of noise and the music needs to play over that. And people enjoy dancing to thumping loud music, hell so do I. I regularly attend clubs and enjoy it. But you say "There's also the fact that you go to have a good time, have a few drinks, dance and meet a few people." The people meeting is far easier when all you need to do is take off your headphones if you strike up a conversation. And the music in the headphones is perfectly loud, so you wouldn't know any different, as they're don't block out all sound so you can still here the ambient sounds of the club, people shouting, laughing, singing etc. over the music.

It only looks stupid if you can't hear the music. If I was to record myself on video dancing here in my kitchen to music and then take the sound out you would say it looks stupid. If I left the music in, suddenly it's not stupid. I just think this is a ridiculous point altogether, take just video of a silent disco and a regular club and use no sound on either and there's no difference apart from people wearing headphones in one video.

And lastly, everybody is dancing to the same music for the most part. There are only two channels and generally everyone would be on whichever one had the "best" song at the time.

No offense taken, and I'm sorry you had a bad day, but try and form a solid argument or simply accept that they're not for you and don't try and force your opinions on others by bouncing into a thread to slate them based on your experience.

Why would you consider an argument less valid if someone used 'gay' as a slag? I'm not going to go into whether it's ok or not to use it as a slag cos frankly I don't care but the point is most normal people who are not overly politically correct uber-nerds use it. Just because I'm on an internet forum doesn't mean I have to form 'solid arguments' about something as trivial as silent discos. I'm still going to use the word 'gay' or 'stupid' or 'crap'.

I do enjoy dancing to thumping loud music. So do you. There's something we agree to. Unless I'm overly drunk I don't dance to music while listening to my iPod on the bus into school/work, so I don't think silent discos are as fun as normal nightclubs.

Not most people are listening to the same music. The one I went to actually had 3 channels (which is strange, I know. I've heard it's usually 2 channels so I'll give you that) but it still means a lot of people are listening to something different, so danc-wise I think it looks stupid and it doesn't have the universal "oh my God I love this song" effect with everyone jumping up and down shouting the same words. Maybe I went to a bad silent disco, but there wasn't the same buzz as a normal disco.

And lastly, yes I've had a bad day so thank you for sympathising. :) Doesn't really change anything. I still maintain that silent discos are crap after the novelty wears off, and are not - and never will be - better than normal nightclubs. That's just my opinion. To everyone else go and try em if you like. You might like it because you like looking like an idiot :D

And how am I forcing my opinion on anybody :confused: :rolleyes: Just voicing my opinion like everybody else on this thread. Is nobody allowed to post on this thread unless it's pro-silent discos? :rolleyes:

I didn't expect such over-analysis of a simple post saying I dislike silent discos but there ya go that's what you get posting on an internet forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I knew someone would say that. But then again, what if I was a highly trained professional dancer? Or nekkid?

it depends what kind of dancing, i don't really see this modern arm/leg flailing nonsense as dancing... and re the nekkid question. couldn't hurt.

• Advertisement

pm for teh sexy dance. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sligo had it's first one (as far as I know anyways) last Thursday night.. F*cking stupid idea!

That is all.

Thank you for you're input, please call again!

Thank you for you're input, please call again!
    Christ Mirror... don't take it so personally! :rolleyes:

Everyone who has expressed an negative comment so far in this thread has been replied to with a sarky comment by yourself. Now cut it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sounds like a good idea actually, I wouldn't mind going to one. I'd say it beats ripping your vocal cords if you want to talk to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

the cornmarket have 2 possible 3 of them during UL rag week Week before paddys day tickets on sale for UL students on Wednesday me thinks

Basquille, I posted the thread to ask if anyone had attended one and if anyone knew of anywhere that held them regularly. I didn't ask people to tell me "they're stupid" etc. I know exactly what they're like. So no, I'm not taking it personally, I just find it rather pointless, just seems like a bit of post++ going on.

The majority have commented favourably or informed me of when/where there will be one, but there's been 3/4 people who simply posted to say they think it's stupid. How that helps me regarding the point of the thread I don't know, so I feel well within my rights to respond to those posts. Especially when it's coming from someone who's never been to one.

Surely if you can take issue with my response, you can take issue with the initial post, no?

Basquille, I posted the thread to ask if anyone had attended one and if anyone knew of anywhere that held them regularly. I didn't ask people to tell me "they're stupid" etc. I know exactly what they're like. So no, I'm not taking it personally, I just find it rather pointless, just seems like a bit of post++ going on.
    The majority have commented favourably or informed me of when/where there will be one, but there's been 3/4 people who simply posted to say they think it's stupid. How that helps me regarding the point of the thread I don't know, so I feel well within my rights to respond to those posts. Especially when it's coming from someone who's never been to one.
    Hmmmmm... just to get this straight, your original post asked the following:
    So my question to you is does anywhere do them regularly at all, and have you been to it/one yourself?
    If you ask people if they've been to one, surely you're expecting to get opinions on them and not a simple 'Yes / No' answer.

And so what if people criticizing may never have been to one, let their vent their own uninformed opinions / criticisms of them - why should it bother you? :confused:

You don't necessarily need to experience something in order to form an opinion on it (be it un-informed). For example: I've never stuck my balls in a vice but I can tell you now, I don't wanna do it!

Take it to 'Feedback' if needs be but these sarky replies to people expressing an opinion is something I want to see finished with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyy there's one on i the Cork Savoy this Wednesday for Rag Week. O2 are sponsering it.
    I was at one at a certain music festival in '06.Thought it was a good laugh so methinks ill go to this one.:)

blow69 wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaayyyy there's one on i the Cork Savoy this Wednesday for Rag Week. O2 are sponsering it.
    I was at one at a certain music festival in '06.Thought it was a good laugh so methinks ill go to this one.:)
    You lucky sod! Cork is too far away for me I'm afraid! :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement