Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi ike im just asking some of the other running logs what surfaces do they run on and how much on each. road, grass,trail,track ? i mainly run on road but trying to vary it as it cant be too good for me long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I was conscious of varying my routine this year as well - at the moment with my wife working every 2nd weekend I run 4 days one week and 5 the next week - and a rough breakdown would be:

Week 1 (4 Days)
    Monday - Road
    Tuesday - Threadmill Hill (Session)
    Thursday - Road
    Friday - Road

Week 2 (5 Days)
    Monday - Road
    Tuesday - Threadmill Hill (Session)
    Thursday - Road
    Friday - Road
    Sunday - Grass

But I'm going to change 2 of those sessions over the 2 weeks and run them on grass in the evenings probably each Friday. I also have the option of running on the River bank which I can run 30miles of if I wanted to, its mixture of grass and trail I suppose. Just need to work out some routes.

Started my training on the 1st of February so I'm now past the three month mark, so I'd thought I put in a brief summary.

Weight starting was 220lbs now 199lbs, I'm far from being 'toned up' but i just don't have the time to concentrate on that aspect. Its obvious but carrying less weight makes it so much easier to run.

I missed a week of running in April and slipped up on my weight training for nearly 2 weeks - reckon I would have been closer to 14st if I'd kept it up.

My diet hasn't changed much but as I increase the mileage I feel much hungrier especially late in the eveing around 9:00.

I've increased my milage each month by about 20% and am currently running about 20 miles per week, with the 'long run' at about 10k.

I can't put a number on my fitness level but indicators such as my lungs working more efficiently and I'm not puffing and panting on a run, and also my recovery after runs is very quick.

As regards my running I'm much more comfortable and in control of how I run. I used to get flustered and hung up on how far I had left to go. I'm able to judge my pace a lot better and know when I'm going too fast or slow but more importantly I'm enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play to you Ike, I've tried at the start of every year now since 02 to get fit but always end up quitting, but not this time, and part of that reason is reading your log and the logs of others, so keep up the good work

Thanks Woddle putting it down on paper or somewhere certainly helps and as you said reading other's logs keeps a bit of motivation.

Did a slow 4 miles today just over 8min mile legs were feeling a bit heavy after yesterday. No more running until Monday for me.

• Advertisement

Cracking day for a run - did 7.15 miles this morning averaged just over 8min/mile. Wasn't too concerned about the time was more interested in seeing how I felt after running for close to an hour. Great being out on the country roads with the sun shining.

I've gotten myself talked in to doing a relay in the Cork marathon at the start of June. My brother in law was signed up but his running partner had to pull out so I've volunteered. So I have about a month to train for the half marathon yikes! :eek:. Not too worried I've enough ground work done at this stage, just need to squeeze in a few more long runs over the next few weeks.

hi ike, might see ya in cork then, like ya said 1 or 2 longer runs and you'll be grand you've got plenty of miles under you belt as it is . its a nice bit of extra motivation as well , not that ya need it but you know what i mean ,i love the excitement of lead up to any race makes ya feel like your training for/towards something . best of luck

Cheers SUNGOD might try and meet up for a quick hello on the day. It'll probably be a bit a slog around, but I'll be after training for nearly 18 weeks and no races entered, so its a good time to keep the motivation on track.

5 mile lunchtime run - hot out there, good way of getting a tan on the old milk bottles!

Rest day planned for tomorrow but might crack on with another run...

5K hill session on the threadmill (I feel these are really helping). Coming down with a bit of a head cold/chesty cough, hopefully it won't turn into much as I really want to get a long run in on sunday.

Did a few lenghts of the pool after the gym really enjoyed that too have'nt done that in ages.

• Advertisement

5 mile run today - trying to work on running each mile at the same pace rather than speeding up or slowing down, got it close today ran all 5 pretty much between 7:40 - 7:50. Did another few lengths of the pool afterwards niceway to cool down.

I've also gotten my weights program back on track over the last two weeks. I've reduced it to 3 nights per week was 5.

No running tomorrow but all going well I'll hit 10 on Sunday.

Did my first 10 miles this morning (1:21).

Ran a 5 mile route twice, slightly slower on the 2nd 5 but happy with the run.

thats good stuff ike.good time too. whats your plan ? will you try get one more 10 or longer in before cork or taper from here ?

Ideally I'd like to get another long run in next weekend, but my wife is working so thats out. So basically I'm going to hit 10-12 in 2 weeks time, which will be a week before Cork unfortunately - but I'll do very little in the 4-5 days before.

well you have to live as well ike , next weekend would be perfect for another long one but what harm,just do as you have planned and you'll be grand like i said in an earlier post you have plenty of miles under your belt so the distance shouldnt be a problem, especially with the 10 just gone and 10-12 in 2 weeks. take it easy then till race day best of luck ike , you'll be flying it .

Hope so SUNGOD - will be nice to have a Half marathon done at this stage of the year.

5 mile recovery run today (8:27/mile) - was feeling a bit achy after yesterday - but legs feeling really good now. Felt strange but good to be running at the pace

Rest day yesterday - Ran a 6 mile road race this evening literally just back - targeted sub 47, finished in 46:53 had to go all out on the half mile. Delighted with the time could be happier with how I ran, wanted to run all of them close to 7:50 but 3 of the miles were around 7:55 so I had to pull it back over the last 2.

Going to hop into a cold bath now and chug back some Arnica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats yourself Ike on your race time also love the pics of Hook head, my parents have a holiday home there, love the area.
    Cheers for your comment, I finally feel like I'm slowly getting back to where I once was

Love it down there too...usually get in a few fishing trips each summer - heading out from Fethard and out past the hook

8.2 mile recovery run (9min/mile)

• Advertisement

well done on the race yesterday , you got the time you wanted so its all good . great running in the good weather isnt it , you'd have an extra spring in your step

Cheers SG - running in this weather is seriously addictive alright - today's run was 4 miles on the road and the other 4 in the park on grass - loads of people out enjoying the sun

5 mile run on grass (surface that is :D). Quads are feeling a bit rough after this week, but there will be no more running until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ike wrote: »
    Rest day yesterday - Ran a 6 mile road race this evening literally just back - targeted sub 47, finished in 46:53 had to go all out on the half mile. Delighted with the time could be happier with how I ran, wanted to run all of them close to 7:50 but 3 of the miles were around 7:55 so I had to pull it back over the last 2.

Going to hop into a cold bath now and chug back some Arnica.

Congrats on achieving your goal. Nice one. +1 on the arnica great recovery aid.

5 mile run today, easy pace to start the week

Got my mate to pace me for 10k today wanted to run a PB, finished in 47:45 so well pleased with that. Just to put it into context its better than the last 10k I ran by 1:33 and the Bupa Run in 07 by over 6 minutes. Would love to get a sub 45 over the next 2 months.

I was going to run the 10k in Youghal on Sunday but I'll give it a miss and just do a lazy 8-10 on Sunday morning and a couple more easy runs next week before Cork.

3rd outing on my new runners and no issues with breaking them in.

great stuff ike its good for us to compete with others and see how far we have come good stuff .you will be flying in cork

Rest Day yesterday

5km Hill session on the threadmill today

6 mile run today - steady 8min/mile. Might do a longer (very easy) run on Sunday as my last one before Cork and one other 5-6 next week.

• Advertisement

Held off and did a shorter than planned 7 miles this morning. Easy enough pace 8:15/mile. Really enjoyed it this morning. Will probably only do one more run this week before Cork next weekend. Will probably feel strange not running nearly every day.

Advertisement