Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Today's run was about running a PB over my usual 5 mile route. Ran it in 37:37 very happy with that - nearly 30 seconds faster the the previous a month ago.

Based on how I ran and today weather I can defiantely go sub 37min and beyond for 5 miles.

Will try to get a run in everyday this week as Saturday I'll be heading off with the family for 2 weeks in France...can't wait. The running gear will definately be packed of couse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Super stuff Ike, keep it up, I do keep quite a close eye on your training ,aswell as 1 or 2 other boardsies, are you doing the 5 mile next month in the phoenix park, would love to be going back to France, brought the kids to euro disney in March, booked a hotel based on wether it had a gym or not, of course it did, keep up the good work.

Thanks Woddle! Likewise always keep an eye on your training log, I think we're both fairly similiar in terms of where we started and where we're at.

Won't be doing the Phoenix Park 5 miler as it's on the Ssturday we come back - but I'll probably do the 10 and half marathon later in the year.

From researcing where we're going it should be ok for doing a bit of running. There's a wooded walk to the beach which is about a mile long and the beach itself is nearly a mile long and fairly flat, I'll check out a few other route when i get over there....So i'll definately be getting out, couldn't stop now if I wanted to!

6 miles today 50:03 average 8:20/mile. Legs felt really really bit of a struggle to keep any momentum for the last 1.5 miles. Think thats a cue for a rest day tomorrow.

Slow steady 10 miles today 1:27:11, overall average 8:43/mile.

This will probably be my last log entry for about 2 weeks as I'm off on the hols to France.

I have the running gear packed so I need to suss out a few routes when I'm over there - really just enough to keep me ticking over. Should be able to get some nice running on the beach for a change

au revoir pour le moment, vous voir dans deux semaines :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

ike wrote: »
    Slow steady 10 miles today 1:27:11, overall average 8:43/mile.

This will probably be my last log entry for about 2 weeks as I'm off on the hols to France.

I have the running gear packed so I need to suss out a few routes when I'm over there - really just enough to keep me ticking over. Should be able to get some nice running on the beach for a change

au revoir pour le moment, vous voir dans deux semaines :D

Enjoy the hol - the French def needs more work though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi ike i take it your home, how did ya get on ? did you do any running over there ?

Ok just back from France since yesterday - here's the running updates!

Week 1
    First run on Tuesday 1st 4 miles was not feeling the mae west for the first few days so cut my losses and did no more running for a few days and just chilled.

Sat 5th - 4 miles 7:56/mile

Week 2
    Mon 7th - 4 miles 7:50/mile
    Tue 8th - 5 miles 8:09/mile
    Wed 9th - 5miles 8:00/mile
    Thur 10th - 10 miles 8:15/miles

Each run was slightly different as I got to know the area a little better each day and all consisted of some trail/road and beach, all were morning runs 8:00latest start and pretty much all through a haze of wine or beer! Did'nt really watch my diet that closely but accoring to the scales this morning I'm still at 192lbs so nothing gained or lost.

This mornings run - 8 miles averaged 8:13 over the first 5 and 7:52 over the last 3.

So apart form the 1st week of the hols when I only ran 8miles I managed to clock 32 this week so overall I'm pleased with that!

SUNGOD wrote: »
    hi ike i take it your home, how did ya get on ? did you do any running over there ?

Cheers SUNGOD was just updating when you replied. Had a quick scan through some of the other running logs, some good training going on, looks like everybody is getting serious at this stage!

8 miles this morning 1:03:06 average 7:53/mile pushed myself most of the way. Would love to get a sub 60min 8 mile time. Based on my mile splits i know I can take another 1:30 of that time. I ran this circuit in reverse which is significantly more uphill and 2 very steep climbs.

I'll come back to it again, want to clock up as many miles as I can in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

10 miles easy pace this morning - 1:25:46 average 8:35/mile.

hi ike so whats next up for you, any plans ?

Hi SUNGOD - I'll have to check the calendar to see what going on - other than that it'll be the Frank Duffy 10 in the Park in a months time. I wouldn't mind racing a 5 miler or 10k just to test myself.

I'm not sure about the longford half need to chekc my own calendar. Other than that its miles, miles and more miles!

9 miles this morning average 8:27/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play to you Ike your flyin, are you doing the Dublin marathon and out of curiousity are you still doing the weights, I've given them up already after only a few weeks, I found it was zapping my energy.
    Keep up the good work.

Yup signed up for Dublin a few weeks ago. Just trying to do a few continous longs runs to see how the body holds up. Will probably do another 8-10 tomorrow evening which will give me well over 24 hours to recover.

Gave up the weight months ago - found them great at the start for getting rid of some of the flab, but being honest I don't think they gave as much of an advantage for my running as I initially though and what with increasing milage my motivation to do another workout in the evenings was not too high!

Maybe when the winter comes in I might start a 10-12 week program to tone up and get me ready for next year.

Could only manage 5 this evening was feeling pretty drained after the last 3 days running. Completed in 40:40 so happy enough with that. Next run will be on Sunday morning, distance yet to be decided!

15 miles this morning in 2:08:23 average pace 8:33/mile. Wanted to test my self over a longer distance as I haven't ran further than 10 since the Cork relay. I decided to run a nice 5 mile loop X 3 knowing that if i blew up I'd be no more that 2.5 miles away from the car. The route is practically flat all the way and I wasn't in the humour for any hills today!

One disadvantage was that I had to pass my car twice at the 5 and 10 mile mark very tempting to stop particularly the second time round :D

Gave me chance to try out an enery gel that I had lying in the fridge no adverse affact to taking one apart from being very sticky on my hands. Can't really say for sure if i got any benefit from it

Give me a total of 47 miles for the week my highest weekly total so far and the old body and legs are holding up nicely.

well done ike 47 miles for the week is good going

Thanks SUNGOD - took a rest day yesterday even though the body felt great with no hangover from sundays 15 miler.

7.5 miles this morning wanted to inject a bit pace to see how the legs would hold up. Completed in 1:00:30 overall average 8:03

Mile Splits

Mile 1 8:37
    Mile 2 8:19
    Mile 3 8:10
    Mile 4 7:55
    Mile 5 7:51
    Mile 6 7:39
    Mile 7 8:04 (lost concentration!)
    Mile 7.5 3:52

• Advertisement

Ok so I'm back to work today after 4 weeks off and hopefully get the routine back in order. My last run was lasts Tuesdays 7.5 miles and after that if was over to connemara for 3 glorious days of fishing. Did'nt pack the running gear as I had no intention of running. No run this weekend as my wife was working so today was the first run in 6 days.

5 miles 38:28 average 7:42/mile. Legs felt really fresh, breathing was a bit off

Despite being overcast it was one of the hottest days I've ran in.

Today 10k 51.44 average 8:20/mile.

For various reasons I won't be able to go in the 10 miler in the Phoenix Park this month (pissed off to say the least). So hopefully I'll be heading out with a mate of mine to try and get a sub 1:20:00 10 miles on thursday evening.

Yesterday 5k hill session on the threadmill

This evening went out with my mate to break a sub 80 10 miles, cut a long story short I managed 79:21. I lost a lot of time through loss of concentration and the conditions were really bad. Still can't complain over 2 minute faster than i ever ran over the distance.

Next run Sunday hopefully

well done ike ,a sub 80min ten miler. its good to set goals for our training but its even nicer when we break them.

Cheers SUNGOD if I hadn't done a fast(ish) 5 miler in the week and a hill session the day before I would have been a lot fresher but still happy to have it in the bag.

10 miles this morning gives me about 34 miles for the week.

Great incident this morning was out running, about 2 miles gone when this donegal accent from the far side of the road going in the same direction shouts over to me. I turned around kinda of recognised the face...none other that Helena Crossan who was down these parts for the weekend and was out on her morning run. She wasn't really sure about the routes told her what I was doing and she tagged along. Had a great old natter I finshed up and I think she continued on for another 7 miles!

For those of you who don't know Helena is Ireland top female Ultrarunner. She off to represent Ireland in Rome in November in the 100K using the Longford and Berlin Marathon as a warm up!!!!

Great run today, my mate is trying to push me a bit harder and to be honest I need it as I tend to ease off too much when I'm doing a fast run and nearly always too much left in the tank when I finish.

Today's run 10K 45:50 (7:23/mile) nearly 2 min better than my previous best over the distance. Thats the fast run out of the way for the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Good going ike. Always nice to improve a time, but you really smashed it!:D

I only realised how much better it is to run with a partner last weekend... the miles flew by when running with my mate.

Thanks figs - I needed someone to kick my arse a bit, as I know I'm capable of doing those times and better.

6 miles today 8:30/mile

Yesterday evening 11 miles average 8:28. Had hoped to pick up the pace for the last few miles.

I had a bottle of powerade left well hidden behind a rock to pick up after the 6 miles, but either some little sh1t robbed it or some do gooder was on litter watch :mad:. I was starting to feel the need for a drink after 9 miles so I took it easy and kept at the same pace throughout.

• Advertisement

7 miles today average 8:30 zero energy today really had to force myself to even get out in the first place, bring the weekly milage to barely over 30 for this week.

I seem to have developed a pain in my left foot which has all the symptons of Plantar Fasciitis. Hopefully not but i'll need to keep an eye on it first time I've had anything resembling an injury this year....

Advertisement