Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

5 miles in 37:38 an PB for me over the distance the good thing is I wasn't even trying had just intended on averaging 8:30 or so, but I felt so good after the first 1.5 miles I just kicked on and settled into a nice rhythm.

Mile Splits

08:22
    07:43
    07:21
    07:10
    06:51

Judging by the first 2 miles I could have close to another minute off.

Not much to report n the training front for today and yesterday. Yesterday (Tuesday) was very strange in that I woke up feeling very sick and eventually threw up, had breakfast and kept it down, went to work and was feeling so tired and weak that I had to go home for the afternoon. Slept for about 3 hours in the afternoon woke up at 5 still a bit weak and aches in the legs had some food and solpadine around 8 O'Clock and was feeling much better by 9. Back in work today feeling 99% better but decided not to run as a precaution. Very odd was almost like a 12 hour mini flu.

Strange thing is the 2 other guys in work who I run with sometimes are both laid up but much worse.

Back to normality tomorrow....

10K average 7:49/mile

8 miles 62:57, average 7:52/mile.

Brings me to just under 20 miles for the week not where I want to be at this stage but I've not much choice. So if I can't get the miles in I'm trying to keep the tempo up a bit.

16 miles this evening in around 2:30:00, I went out with a mate of mine and had hoped to go for 18 or even 20 if i felt right, but my foot was niggling me at around 10 miles so I quit while I was ahead. Its more like an ache but it kinda make mes run not so fluent, like I'm over compensating with it.

Either way I'm going to get it looked at this week and I need to order a new pair of runners. I like the Mizuno's but they tend to wear down very quickly as they're a very light shoe.

• Advertisement

Booked an appointment with a physio for tomorrow evening.

Rather than sitting around waiting did 10k hill session on the bike in the gym, would have went for more only most of the cardio machines are limited to 20mins!

Been taking it a bit easy this week until I'd seen the physio. She reckons the pain in my heel is caused by me having a tight calf, I have very long calves which if their not stretched enough can get very tight causing the pull on my heel. My right calf has a lot more stretch in it ever since I got my achillies repaired probably because I spent so long in recovery and constantly stretching it. Anyway I need to keep streching it as much as I can and use heat pack to get them warmed up and loose. Basically keep an eye in it for the next couple of weeks.

Tonight was my first run since Monday - went in 6 mile race completed in 44:34. I ran the exact same route in another 6 mile race back in May and ran 46:52, so happy enough with that improvement. Looking back on the splits I probably could have went under 44min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi ike good improvement on your times.
    at least you know if you do keep an eye on your calf and stretch/heat it it should be ok. thank god its in your control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Ike I have suggested on other threads but I swear by the foam roller and I really ownly use it for my calfs and congrats on your race time, good to see we're all still flying 6 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sweater

Hi Ike,

Just read through your log. It's been quite a journey over the last few months. Fantastic progress despite the injuries & a great record of progress on here.

Great times on the last run. Keep it up.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot guys - might check out the foam roller Woddle its the sort of this I could do sitting at the desk. After friday nights run my foot was aching on Saturday, but I iced it that night and last night and that seems to have helped. I was minding the kids all weekend so I was pretty much on my feet fom 7am til 8pm so there was no chance to rest it!

Today 5 miles 8:12/mile, foot a bit achy but not too bad more icing and gentle stretching this evening. Need to clock in some serious miles between now and the end of Sept.

6 miles average 7:55 (very enjoyable for some reason!?)

Rest day yesterday

Today 10miles 82:23 average 8:15/mile

5 miles today average 8:05. The foot is holding up well still a bit achy but not really affecting my running. Been icing it every night and gently stretching the calves as much as I can. The pain is mainly on the inside of my foot and as I'm a major supinator I'm not really landing on it which helps to a point.

18-20 planned for Sunday, which should tell me a lot hopefully. Planning to run at 8:35/8:40 pace and if I'm going ok to chip off 25 sec/mile for the last 4.

Ok so first long run out of the way...did 19 miles this morning in 2:43 average 8:35/mile.

My legs felt very crampy after mile 16 so I wasn't running as comfortable as I'd like to. Up to this 16 and a couple of 15's was the longest I'd ran so it was all new territory. Even though another mile would have given me the 20 I felt it would have done more harm than good.

Gives me an total of 45 miles this week so overall I'm pleased.

Today 5 miles average 8:05 including averaging 7:45 for the last two miles. Was debating having a rest day after yesterday but feeling all the better for it.

Did a few lengths in the pool afterwards followed by a bit of water jogging and stretching in the pool to ease the legs.

Rest day yesterday although I did do 12 lengths of the pool and a bit more water jogging and stretching.

Today 10 miles average 8:20 first 5 miles in the pi$$es of rain and the last 5 in glorious sunshine!

5 tomorrow and hopefully 18 after work on Friday which give me a free weekend.

This has turned into more of a marathon training log than a weight loss log so just quick update on my weight currently weighing in at 13st 2lbs (184lbs) at this rate I should be under 13st by the end of the month. Thats a total of 36lbs in 7 months. My diet has stayed pretty good since day one but since I've started on the longer runs I find myself eating literally everything

Just realised thats keeping in line with my 5lbs / month I set at the start

Today 5 miles average 8:11/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on the weight loss, great to see dividends after all the hard work. I'm about 7lbs shy of what I want myself just seem to be stuck at the moment but still not fretting

• Advertisement

Thanks Woddle I was stuck at the same weight for nearly a month at one stage, but I think gradually increasing the intensity and distance of the running kick started it again.

After last Sundays first long run I didn't stop eating for nearly 2 days and I mean eat nothing was safe!

Struggled, grimaced and forced my way through 18 miles this evening, was grand through 10 but kinda lost interest after that. I was running with a mate of mine who is runnng 8 marathons in 8 months for charity and is just after coming back after a problem with his achillies and wanted to take it really slow, so we averaged 9:15/mile through the first 15 he was happy to let me head off at my own pace for the last three and I averaged 8:10 over the last 3. I was really happy with being able to pick up the pace although it was a struggle.

The problem I'm find with doing these longer runs is the pace, any calculators I've checked tell me my long/easy runs need to be anywhere between 9:15 and 10:15/mile, running at that pace just wrecks my head. I find my legs get just as tired as if I'm running at 8:20-8:35 except I'm on the road longer slogging along and not enjoying it. I don't find my recovery any quicker if run at 9:30 than if I run at 8:30.

Maybe I'm missing the point to the pacing of the longer run :confused:

Maybe I just need to get my first marathon out of the way and reflect back

Start of another week.

Fast run today - decided on the threadmill for a change to give the old joints a bit of an easier time! Have'nt ran on the threadmill for a while so the change was nice, found the time went slower tho.

10k in 45min would have been a PB if it had been on the road

Breaking in a new pair of Mizuno's this week. My 3rd pair since Feb!

10K (Road) average 8:26/mile.

Savage wind straight into my face for the first 2 miles felt like I was running on the spot.

Rest day tomorrow

Today 10miles 1:25:00 average 8:30.

Really enjoyed the run today felt comfortable the whole way, conditions were really good about 15 degrees, overcast and a nice cool breeze and 2 quick gentle showers.

Got my first 20 miler done this morning finished 2:57:27 averaging 8:52/mile.

Was really happy with the run wasn't struggling as much as I have done on other long runs. Looking back at the splits there was very little difference between the first 10 and the second 10 so at least I wasn't flagging over the second half despite getting soaked to skin on the last 5!.

Easy enough week next week as I want to be fresh as possible for the half marathon next Sat.

Rest day today - legs feeling in good shape after yesterday more stiff than sore. Headed to the pool, did some stretching and jogging in the water, followed by 20 slow easy lengths. Legs feeling 100% after that!

Opted for the threadmill again today for my fast run: approx 5miles in approx 36 min

10K easy average 8:30/mile

• Advertisement

Much the same as yesterday 10K average 8:30 - hoping to feel fresh enough for a good run in the half marathon on Sat!

Advertisement