Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCI

Options
  • 22-02-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I never realised these even existed until I started doing my trawl of various websites hunting down a big feck off diesel to buy in July or shortly afterwards. They don't seem to have been on sale here at all but I was wondering has anybody driven one or heard anything about them?

On the face of it, they seem like a very good cheaper option if you can't stretch to an Audi, Honda, BMW etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

In the UK the same 2.2 Tdci (155PS) engine comes in other models.
    Edge,Zetec,Ghia,Ghia-X,Titanium and Titanium-X. (dont think I missed one :) )

The ST Tdci is a good car , well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I saw a couple on sale up north, haven't really checked across the water yet, and as always there's much better value than down here. Especially seeing as they're so rare in the Republic as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Cyrus wrote: »
    worst looking steering wheel.....ever :D

Its a crappy camera/photograph - its not that bad looking in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Churchy wrote: »
    Its a crappy camera/photograph - its not that bad looking in the flesh.

The clock in the middle of the dash is really bad though.
    Why do ford keep using it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They sold that engine here too, in Titanium trim only.

And the new Mk4 Mondeo will be available with a 24% VRT 2.2 173 bhp twin turbo diesel shortly as well as a 113 bhp 2.0 TDCi ECOnetic model too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had a number of Mondeo's, last of which I owned was a 03 2.0TDCI GHIA X which i imported frrom the uk.
    Top spec motor, heated and cooling leathers, sony 6 stack headunit,zenons, big wheels,6 speed - the works.......and looked a peach.

Things to look out for in a mondeo. The drivers door are rewnowned for taking in water. In the carpet in the drivers footwell where the fuel tank flap release is, pull up the carpet and chack for water ingress. Mine was a pig to cure.........a real pisser on such a nice car.
    Servicing on them is A PLEASURE.
    Great engine......great power and good economy.
    The ST wil be running probably on 18's on low pro's and whilst they look good etc, the ride will be hard to live with every day of your life on irish roads......and will shake the life out of the car. Watch out for this.
    Overall tho', a lovely alternative to a 3 series or audi or any of the really commom marques around nowadays.

Cavanmaniac, pm me for more if you have any questions!
    Rgds,

NIF>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Never driven one but have to say i'm a fan of this car from when I first saw it. Good performance,economy and space, gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Cyrus wrote: »
    worst looking steering wheel.....ever :D

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the 2.2 TDCi a PSA unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AFAIK in the Mk3 Mondeo it was a Ford engine but the new 2.2 TDCi in the Mk4 Mondeo is from PSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Cheers guys, am definitely considering it. It's on the list of possibles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Saw on a motor program (auto trader AFAIK) that after 40k miles they can start to rattle a bit which can be expensive to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Cracking car, look great, they were special order only over here I think, but were overpriced, well inexcess of €40,000. Bit too much for any Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the previous model ST220 is a better looking car than the present model it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Cracker of a car. I test drove a few of them before I bought a TDI passat instead (25% VRT versus 30% and saved me €3500 last year)
    The only reason I didn't import an ST is because of the high VRT and tax. The resale was also on my mind but all that has changed now!
    Go for it, I say. See one in the flesh, (those pics do it no favours) and drive one. That 2.2 TDCI is really a belter.
    The only drawback I found were the brakes. A bit weak for the power in the car. Aparaently there is a cheap fix for that too.
    As another poster said though, those lovely 18" wheels need taking care of on Irish roads, so also consider your commute to work etc.;)

Advertisement