Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Polish scene

Options
  • 22-02-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

There are thousands of Polish in Galway, so where is the Galway Polish scene?

I know there is mass at St.Patrick's on a Sunday at 5 but in terms of social life is there a Polish pub (or pubs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Krcma is a Slavic pub in Salthill (across from the Church).

Or you could hang around outside Lidl on the Headford Road smoking fags like the rest of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I'm not sure there's a explicit scene, I'd more gather that's there a bunch of mini-scenes that are just part of the bigger standard scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

tristanc wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's a explicit scene, I'd more gather that's there a bunch of mini-scenes that are just part of the bigger standard scenes.

From what i understand of the Polish that i work with is that they either go to that Pub in Salthill or head to Karma or all just have house parties like every weekend, so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

The Brewery in Oranmore has a fair few in it at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

its in between the German hardcore industrial metal (with triangles) scene
    and the Swedish folk trad and banjo scene
    ahh no its everywhere really, except for Garveys pub on the corner of eyre square(big sign on the door saying "no way")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

From what I'm familiar with they love their houseparties..head out Deochuisce way and it's Polish Party central..banjos and smokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Unlike the Irish, the Poles in general refuse to line the pockets of the pubowners who charge ridiculous prices. I know quite a few Polish people and, as other posters have mentioned, they all tend to have house parties. I've been to one or two of these parties and have to say they are great craic(ov).
    I also know some Polish people who actually keep their distance from other Polish people saying they didn't come here to hang out with Poles, they came here to hang out with Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

galwaybabe wrote: »
    they came here to hang out with Irish.

And heres me thinking they came here to make money:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

And heres me thinking they came here to make money:rolleyes:

I think a lot of it is to learn English as well (same reason packs of French, Spanish, and Italians seem to be working here). Presumably only hanging out with other Polish people isn't the best way to do that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Maybe we could start a boards outreach programme. I've seen a number of polish girls who I'd like to meet in a social enviroment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

papagormo wrote: »
    ahh no its everywhere really, except for Garveys pub on the corner of eyre square(big sign on the door saying "no way")

huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    huh? :confused:

im referring to the topic about the galway polish scene and where its located,
    im suggesting its everywhere in galway, except in garveys pub-itsa ajoke son, dont ya get it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's all house partys for the vast majority of them. They just get a few bottles of Vodka and have the craic at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

We need a Celtic-Polska Integration Party. Political or house,Hmmm??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We need a Celtic-Polska Integration Party. Political or house,Hmmm??
    Sensitivesoul to fill the Lech Walesa role?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There could be threads about this in the new Polish forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    There could be threads about this in the new Polish forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1000

Dem foreigners, dey be stealin our boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Unlike the Irish, the Poles in general refuse to line the pockets of the pubowners who charge ridiculous prices. I know quite a few Polish people and, as other posters have mentioned, they all tend to have house parties. I've been to one or two of these parties and have to say they are great craic(ov).
    I also know some Polish people who actually keep their distance from other Polish people saying they didn't come here to hang out with Poles, they came here to hang out with Irish.

YEY YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT THERE.........THE POLISH ARE NOT A BAD BUNCH ALRIGHT.....THEY ARE A HARDWORKIN BUNCH AND ARE NOT FOOLS AS THEY DONT SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED CASH IN THE PUBS......ITS LOT CHEAPER GO TO THE OFFIE FOR THE VODKA!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

do they shout a lot ????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    do they shout a lot ????

Only if you try to steal their vodka! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Well there is definitely a lot of Eastern Europeans ( I won't generalize by saying just Polish) who like their dance music, and can be found in the Cellar, an Pucan etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

MattKid wrote: »
    Maybe we could start a boards outreach programme. I've seen a number of polish girls who I'd like to meet in a social enviroment

poundit.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

- Krcma at Salthill, there's also Polish beer, spirits, music.. You can find them there.
    - The Living Room, I've seen many of them at evenings there

I agree with traceyde, they are not used to spend all their money on alcohol.

Most of them prefer for ex. to buy a car.. And that annoy many natives. Cause how is that possible? They're working for 8-9 Euro per hour and have much more than me?

That's why many of them prefer house parties, they are good at organizing them! ;)

Advertisement