Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Garages

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

They won't need to, negative comments have already been removed.

We don't necessarily remove negative comments, if you look at some reviews on the site there are negative views there, but as you can understand we need to be careful with some of the stronger comments, and we reserve the right to edit these and are upfront about this. Every review is used to generate the average rating for a garage which decides it is displayed or not, this is due to the focus on our site being to only show the 'best' garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Had a quick look at the site. Nice idea and could potentially be a very useful tool. Unfortunately the idea is weakened by your decision to not include negative reviews... this in my view makes it pretty pointless as only positive opinions can be expressed. I see you are looking for the garages to advertise on the site which is probably why you have removed all negative comments as you do not want to upset any potential clients. I hope you change your mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Hi vox, showing reviews or not has nothing to do with the advertising, like any site it needs to make some finanical return for the investment made in building it! Any potential advertising would come with the provisio that this will not affect what reviews are posted, and the gargage will have the right to withdraw advertising if and whenever they want (i.e. they get bad reviews!).

Again, and not to labour the point, the site is not a ratemygarage site, I have no interest in having a site full of negative comments and 'avoid at all costs' reviews.. I have had both bad and good service with my cars, and whenever anyone asks me wheres good to buy/service I tell them about the good places, i wouldn't even be bothered talking about the crap ones. This is what this site is meant to do too. Its not a concept that everyone agrees with but thats fair enough. I think when it takes off and gets plenty of reviews up it will make sense.. ;)

thanks for looking at it and the feedback tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Very sorry I bought a car from Randles, in 6 months car has been there 9 times. Many faults they did not fix the right way like the alternator that fell twice and the gears and the hinge of the door. They rather see if they can get away with temporary fixes and if need be only then they send for the parts. Anyone interested in my case in detail pls get in touch. They are also in this weeks Kerryman because two brothers from Ballybunnion are taking them to the High Court. Not only did they lie about being members on the SIMI they also lie about car's history since my car had given an inordinate amount of trouble in 2007 before I bought it. And I have the reports to prove that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

rupamede wrote: »
    Very sorry I bought a car from Randles, in 6 months car has been there 9 times. Many faults they did not fix the right way like the alternator that fell twice and the gears and the hinge of the door. They rather see if they can get away with temporary fixes and if need be only then they send for the parts. Anyone interested in my case in detail pls get in touch. They are also in this weeks Kerryman because two brothers from Ballybunnion are taking them to the High Court. Not only did they lie about being members on the SIMI they also lie about car's history since my car had given an inordinate amount of trouble in 2007 before I bought it. And I have the reports to prove that.

Had you been posting that on the new site that cbyrne is trying to promote on here, your "review" would not be allowed as they only allow positive reviews and delete negative reviews. having said that, how do we know it you are not an arch rival of this "Randles" hoping to create negative publicity for them in the hope that their rivals ( ie you) benefit?
    audichris wrote: »
    How do you stop people bidding against themselves on Ebay, or submitting good reviews of books they've written on Amazon?

I really have no experience of either ebay or amazon. My question is how do we assess whether or not these positive reviews come from the garage owners about their own garages? I note cbyrne has not addressed this point, and it seems evident that the possibility reduces the usefulness of his site and questions its value to potential users.
    audichris wrote: »
    ...I can't see garages investing the time to vote for themselves more than once or twice, and if the site is any kind of a success that kind of trickery will be diluted by the hundreds of real answers.

It seems to be very little effort to write 15 or 20 reviews under different pseudonyms if it will generate business for their garages. How long does it take to post a comment here? If garages don't think it worthwhile to do this, then presumably thats becasue they think it not worthwhile.

It seems naive to think that garage owners would not be prepared to do this anonymously if it swelled their profits.

• Advertisement

"how do we know it you are not an arch rival of this "Randles" hoping to create negative publicity for them in the hope that their rivals ( ie you) benefit?"

If you read this week's Kerryman you will see that Randles are notorious for being dishonest. I am not the only one that had to get a solicitor and sue them. Facts are facts and intentions are intentions. I think it is a good thing that someone like me can actually give factual evidence of what I am saying. There's a newspaper and I also have in my power reports that are evidence of Randles Brothers fault. And I can produce them if asked.

Although I agree that we cannot allow every kind of reviews in that website, I think they should reconsider because it is important to open people's eyes to the facts. So when I posted that review I was thinking of helping people like myself who may get caught by these Randles (or should I say Rascalls) Brothers in Kerry.

It is important to have a good service but one cannot expect a good service if standards aren't met. That website obvioulsly makes no sense whatsoever, it does not help people and it can actually be like sand in people's eyes. Now the Kerryman's page about Randles and my review are factual things that can be of real help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

was about to write a review about poor experience I had at a Dublin garage but won't bother now, since the negative reviews are removed.

This makes the site pointless, won't be back.

quarryman wrote: »
    was about to write a review about poor experience I had at a Dublin garage but won't bother now, since the negative reviews are removed.

I cant understand why there isn't a site that allows us to complain about garages. There are sites like rateyourteacher and rateyoursolicitor so there should be one called rateyourgarage but there isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

quarryman wrote: »

+1

This website is a waste of time imo

Advertisement