Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Scarf/Shawl..does anyone wear them now?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

One sees a some older women wear them....and they were worn by women since pre-biblical times....Can anyone ever imagine them becoming fashionable...even in a revamped or trendy form for younger generations?. Just curious...Mum as a relatively young woman wore them frequently...but very rare in anything but the oldest of women today.

Regards
    A

Comments

Thats an odd coincidence, I was surprised to see two old ladies in head squares today. It occured to me that it might be the last time I see the like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Only head scarfs I see these days are muslim women. There are 2 or 3 girls that go to TCD gym that wear them. I know they're probably happy wearing them etc etc but my GOD it gets hot in that gym and wearing a head scarf?? I coudn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

A finnish girl in her 20's that I went to college with used a shawl thing as a scarf and was not adverse to putting it over her head when it was cold or windy or raining. Very practical. They do seem to have fallen out of favour though. I used to wear a bandana every now again. Don't think I would these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'm having flashbacks of the Totes Hoodwrap ads from the late 80s/early 90s :D

Apparently this is the modern version of said hoodwrap.....don't know anyone who wears one though. :cool:

http://stylishway.com/product?link=2460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd wear one if I had one. I might buy one now...
    Do people still wear bandannas?

Oh yeah, I was talking to my Mam about this not so long ago, she used to wear a head scarf becuase Women had to keep their heads covered in church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Does a pashmina count as a shawl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Head scarves all the rage here with the over seventies....Sunday mass is the Who's who in the world of Head scarf wearing old ladies.

Couldin't see meself in one though. Might do when / if i ever hit seventy, just to blend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

My Granny use to wear one!

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I was talking to my Mam about this not so long ago, she used to wear a head scarf becuase Women had to keep their heads covered in church.

Not in your Mams day and only after they had a baby. They were dirty and had to wear it as a mark of shame until they had been through a cleansing churching ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 clairefrilly

yeah. I wear them a lot . I have a whole suitcase full of headscarves. They are very handy on bad hair days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

themadchef wrote: »
    Head scarves all the rage here with the over seventies....Sunday mass is the Who's who in the world of Head scarf wearing old ladies.

Couldin't see meself in one though. Might do when / if i ever hit seventy, just to blend ;)

It used to be that you were not allowed to attend mass as a woman with out your head covered for modesty's sake so not to distract the men folk.

Then it was that you could attend but would have to sit at the back of the church and could not go up to receive communion.

I remember my Mam when I was growing up wearing a head scarf right up to the early 90s.

Advertisement