Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Site Idea - Hard To Find Phone Numbers

• 22-02-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

I am just wondering on the legalities of my idea of a web page.
    That is to create a site with phone numbers that are not listed.
    For instance i have an important phone number (think i still have it) to get directly to an important department in an Airline (that shall currently remain nameless).
    I dont believe it is a private number as the company gave it to me for corospondence when i was taking legal action.
    What i am getting at is a list of direct numbers to specific departments within companies, as in ireland you can spend hours and lots of dosh trying to just get to the right department.
    Or am i digging an early grave.
    Garry

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Do you really have access to that many numbers that would justify you actually making a website ?

It isn't illegal here in France but is just plain annoying for the companies involved esp when you give out a PABX number so that people don't have to dial the 1850 number and therefore don't have to pay the changes involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

Ponster wrote: »
    Do you really have access to that many numbers that would justify you actually making a website ?

It isn't illegal here in France but is just plain annoying for the companies involved esp when you give out a PABX number so that people don't have to dial the 1850 number and therefore don't have to pay the changes involved.

Well i have about 5 and if other people (Customers, unhappy employees etc) have some, could piss off some useless lazy people and get them their ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I think it's an excellent idea.
    You could just start a thread asking people to add their own useful numbers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

I have 3 fears
    The Legality of it.
    How easy is it for companies to change their numbers, once a umber is changed it could take ages o get the new one.
    Recently my postman rang me from AnPost on a Saturday as he knew i was waiting on something important. I missed the call and called him back but it said "Confidential Number" on my phone. So is it really simple for companies to put a block on external numbers.
    Garry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's probably legal...can't see why it wouldn't be.

As for changing numbers....well imagine that the company has a PABX with an E2 (30 telephone lines) plugged into it. There is 1 telephone number associated with these 30 lines.

They also have a 0850 number which points to the telephone number of the E2 group.

It's not all that easy to change the phone number associated with the T2 but I suppose it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Company probably has a DDI range that maps to extensions. These can be changed in a few seconds, almost all such PABX's will have remote managements too.

PABX can be setup to provide the DDI number associated with an extension on outgoing calls or just to use the lead number. I think it can probably be set to not show any number on dial out.

Problem is only helpful people give out DDI's so you are penalising them while the jobsworths get off. And agents don't get stats for them.

What you need are alternative numbers, like jumping to internal queues that are short or bypass pre-screening. Agents still get the stats so they don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Something like this? http://gethuman.com/ - it tells you how to navigate through automated phone systems to get to a human being.
    It only covers the US, UK and Canada so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

Great idea. I think it would work really well. Grab yourself a .ie domain and you'll be very high up in Google. I've worked with websites for a long time, and if you use a good PHP script, which would be similar to a database/wiki like feature, then you can have constantly reviewed and updated pages.

For example, look at http://www.bugmenot.com/ - it lists logins for registered only websites. You can use these, and need not be spammed by signing up. Users can vote if they work, add their own, edit and more. You should use a similar platform on yours.

Good on ya boy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

If you want to publish numbers on the internet it must be very difficult to legally stop you. The net is a worldwide tool and it must be difficult to prevent publication of virtually anything if you really want to.

Having said that, I doubt very much if you will make much money out of such a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Great idea. I think it would work really well. Grab yourself a .ie domain and you'll be very high up in Google. I've worked with websites for a long time, and if you use a good PHP script, which would be similar to a database/wiki like feature, then you can have constantly reviewed and updated pages.

For example, look at http://www.bugmenot.com/ - it lists logins for registered only websites. You can use these, and need not be spammed by signing up. Users can vote if they work, add their own, edit and more. You should use a similar platform on yours.

Good on ya boy! :D

bugmenot.com has actually been shut down - the host pulled the plug on the website admin (probably because some legal eagles got on their case!)

just to beware!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Grinderman wrote: »
    Hi All

I am just wondering on the legalities of my idea of a web page.
    That is to create a site with phone numbers that are not listed.
    For instance i have an important phone number (think i still have it) to get directly to an important department in an Airline (that shall currently remain nameless).
    I dont believe it is a private number as the company gave it to me for corospondence when i was taking legal action.
    What i am getting at is a list of direct numbers to specific departments within companies, as in ireland you can spend hours and lots of dosh trying to just get to the right department.
    Or am i digging an early grave.
    Garry

Hi,

Someone in France set up a website like this one ( I can't remember the name ) but it's very useful indeed. It's totally legal in France, go for it.

Advertisement