Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

That goal was almost comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jackdaw will suddenly just log in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea will still win.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

chelsea havent beeen themselves at all

strange move taking off keane hes tired but a brilliant peno taker if it goes that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ramos is probably my favourite manager in world football, he was fantastic at Seville and it looks like he's doing the same at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

3 mins!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mike65 wrote: »
    Chelsea will still win.

Mike.
    Bet you a grand of your funny european money they won't. 4 Minutes to go too.

Who-hoo! :D

T4TF I wuz using cheap psychology of course :)

Mike.

Grand down mike eh, I will take it in beers over the next couple of years.

Well done spurs, Woodgate really is the difference in that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

FT 1-1 Chelsea will win now

Mike.
    Chelsea will still win.

Mike.

you should stick to opinion.

your facts dont appear to be up to much.

great win, and in europe again next year.
    pressures off, and silverware in the cupboard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fantastic stuff, well deserved from Spurs. Deserved to win it. I just don't think Grant has that extra level required to win the tough games. Why he left Anelka on is beyond me. Cole should have been on from early on.

Great stuff to see, great to see King lift a cup.

Oh my god the ref was terrible. At first I thought he'd never give a free to Spurs, but he was just terrible all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

congrats spurs, got a few lucky decisions like the ref blowing up when he did! but overall i thought they deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ramos is seriously a winner.

My god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

PHB wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff, well deserved from Spurs. Deserved to win it. I just don't think Grant has that extra level required to win the tough games. Why he left Anelka on is beyond me. Cole should have been on from early on.

My thoughts exactly, also mikel:mad:!! He shouldnt even be at the club, hes second rate, he wouldnt make the squad at man yoo and arsenal, yet he continues to start for us, shocking.

If mourinho was still there we'd have been 1-0 up early and shut up shop, ugly but effective.Now its time for a proper manager, Grant just isnt top class, bring on Hiddink.

FWIW im not just attacking him here coz we lost the cup, ive kept quiet as a fan till now, but his ineptitude was on show for all to see today, hes just not good enough.

Fair play to spurs, they were excellent

WhiteWashMan read my posts again. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    congrats spurs, got a few lucky decisions like the ref blowing up when he did! but overall i thought they deserved it.

They got lucky when the ref blew up almost a minute after the 3 minutes extra he put on a 15 minute half (20 percent) ? Really ?

Chelsea fans now turned on Grant

So harsh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

rubbish goal .. spurs had to be told they scored after it went in..

anyway , i knew Spurs would win this one , since Chelsea are no better
    then a 3rd divission team now, couldn't score in a brothel , and it will
    get even worse when Drogs leaves this summer...

dark times ahead for Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fully deserved, and now Spurs don't have to worry too much about the league.

What does this do in terms of qualifying for the UEFA Cup via the league? Will it only be 5th place now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I really hope Ramos can win the Uefa cup for three seasons in a row... I cant see past Bayern Munich though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I thought Chelsea would win this one but they didn't turn up at all. But well done to Tottenham. It was a bit of luck that won it for them in the end but they still deserved it.

Good to see Robbie getting his first winners medal.

jackdaw wrote: »

I love your post match reactions :) Ups and downs like nobodies business :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Jackdaw will suddenly just log in
    jackdaw wrote: »

:cool:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Chelsea fans now turned on Grant

So harsh :D

Not really, i never liked him to start with, but now that we have lost 3 important games under him(manu, asnl and today), i feel i have a right to voice my opinion. I wasnt singing his name during that good run during the winter period, because as title contenders we should be beating weaker teams week in week out regardless of whos in charge, that squad should be able to do it. My point is, when it came to the crunch, on 3 occasions, he got it wrong, im not simply jumping on the probable bandwagon;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

2-1 to Spurs. I feel it in my waters.

Hope Chelsea spank them though.
    Arf.

topnutz wrote: »
    Not really, i never liked him to start with, but now that we have lost 3 important games under him(manu, asnl and today), i feel i have a right to voice my opinion. I wasnt singing his name during that good run during the winter period, because as title contenders we should be beating weaker teams week in week out regardless of whos in charge, that squad should be able to do it. My point is, when it came to the crunch, on 3 occasions, he got it wrong, im not simply jumping on the probable bandwagon;)

So basically you expect to win every game?

He was in charge for about 4 days before the Man Utd away game, and were down to 10 men for most of the game.

Arsenal match I thought they were unlucky not to get a draw, and Cech made a terrible mistake for Arsenals goal.

Liverpool draw, fair enough poor show.

He's done well to hold Chelsea together when nearly half the squad have been missing all season and with the shambles at the start of the season

I do think that Grant is not good enough to win the big games. The squad is unreal, I could get them to beat anybody outside the top 6. But when it gets to the big games, tactical ability and player selection make the difference so often, and he just doesn't have any record of getting the choices right.
    That's why I think Chelsea won't win anything this year to be honest, because in the games, he'll play absurd formations, like a 4-3-3 with 2 strikers and a winger, giving them no shape.

Bar at the end today, they never really threatened, and it's no surprise they scored from a free kick, because their general play just wasn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I do think that Grant is not good enough to win the big games. The squad is unreal, I could get them to beat anybody outside the top 6. But when it gets to the big games, tactical ability and player selection make the difference so often, and he just doesn't have any record of getting the choices right.
    That's why I think Liverpool won't win anything this year to be honest, because in the games, he'll play absurd formations, like a 4-3-3 with 2 strikers and a winger, giving them no shape.

What has Grant not being a great manager got to do with Liverpool not winning anything? Grant doesnt manage Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Congrats to Spurs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hows Hutton gettin on down there? Did he play today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Ramos is special 6cups in three years!!!

What has Grant not being a great manager got to do with Liverpool not winning anything? Grant doesnt manage Liverpool.

Ha :) Good spot, I guess it's just force of habit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well done Spurs, absolutely delighted for them and the better team won. Was a great match to watch as well. Delighted for Robbie Keane too, he was like a child on Christmas morning at the end! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well done Spurs, absolutely delighted for them and the better team won. Was a great match to watch as well. Delighted for Robbie Keane too, he was like a child on Christmas morning at the end! :D

Yeah I'm delighted that the Super Spurs won and got all emotional when I saw Robbie crying at the end and hugging Berbs! Its been a long time coming for us Spurs supporters and no nuetral would have denied us the win (bar the Arse supporters)!

Ramos is a great Manager and lets hope we can go on from this and win the UEFA cup!

COYS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Jackdaw you really are the Eamonn Dunphy of boards. Nobody listens to you but we have a good laugh at your stupidity and sensationalism.

On topic it hurt today, a lot. Had it been city, newcastle etc... it would have been fine but Spurs!

They did deserve it though. We just didn't turn up. It seemed the players didn't want the distraction of it and when we went 1 up it looked as though they were happy and decided to leave it at that. No drive, no imagination, no spirit, no desire & no trophy. The better team on the day did win and hats off to spurs they gave it a good go. It wasn't until the final 15mins (of et) that Chelsea looked as though they were suddenly interested.

Id love to know what Grant was thinking. Cole on the bench and Anelka starting on the wing. Add to that Ballack on the bench also? Has he been watching the team the past 2 month. When the african nations kicked in we lost essien and jon obi. Ballack came back from injury and chelsea had to play with 4 across the middle. Mak and Ballack running the show. They have been amazing and Anelka was looking good up front. Now as soon as players come back he reverts to 4-5-1 leaves our best player this past while (MB) on the bench and decideds to stop attacking. Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm gonna predict 5-3 to Chelsea.

u were only slightly wrong!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Chelsea will still win.

Mike.

starting to think you're a closet blue, but with 5 minutes to go I stil thought spurs would bottle it.

chles were very poor today and spurs fully deserved to win that game, they should have been 3-1 up on 90 minutes i felt, i did think we had a decent extra time shout for a penalty but even had we come back , spurs wanted to win that game more than chlesea did.

Grant is out of his depth against almost any other decent manager, we seem to be getting worse every game of late, it certainly isn't entertaining football, but life goes on! carefree !

Haha, just looking at Woodgate's goal again, the way he winces when the ball rebounds off his face! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Chelsea shoulda had a peno there..... Flag didn't go up for offside (though he looked off to me), then Woodgate grabbed Drogba and (with help from Didier) threw him onto the ground. THEN the flag goes up, I think for offside.

Well done to Spurs anyway, I was hoping they'd win! Was hoping for penos though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

strange moment to blow the whistle :confused:

edit: woah, time warp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Chelsea shoulda had a peno there..... Flag didn't go up for offside, then Woodgate grabbed Drogba and (with help from Didier) threw him onto the ground. THEN the flag goes up, I think for offside.

Well done to Spurs anyway, I was hoping they'd win! Was hoping for penos though!

seeing that on tv it looked a clear penalty to chelsea, typical, robbed ;)

feck it, we still didn't deserve to win playing like we did for the first 100 minutes of that.

Flag didn't go up for offside (though he looked off to me), then Woodgate grabbed Drogba and (with help from Didier) threw him onto the ground. THEN the flag goes up, I think for offside.

But he was offside :) They don't put it up until they are interferring with play etc. Woodgate having to actually rugby tackle him was interfering with play :) Seriously though, what the **** was woodgate thinking?

But he was offside :) They don't put it up until they are interferring with play etc. Woodgate having to actually rugby tackle him was interfering with play :) Seriously though, what the **** was woodgate thinking?

True, if it wasnt given as an offside decision that was a stone cold peno, not that we deserved it, but it was. At one point i think both of woodgates hands actually interlocked:eek:, like he was wrestling a feckin bear!! He was good on the day though for the most part, with clinical finishing like he displayed for the winning goal im amazed its been 2 years since he scored:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im so tired! up at 3am to watch that, and then off for a full days work!
    but still buzzing.

great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Absolutely delighted with the result. I didn't think it would happen, and going a goal down strengthened that belief but fair play to Spurs they kept on going for it.

Where the ref got nearly 6 minutes of injury time in extra time is beyond me though.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Where the ref got nearly 6 minutes of injury time in extra time is beyond me though.
    I'd say Tainio's throw played a small part in it, and Drogba didn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Congrats to Spurs on winning the League Cup. Its good to see another club for a change getting a trophy. In terms of the match, it was closely fought, and I think either team could have taken it. Neither team shaded it, it was evenly matched, and Spurs played very well to match Chelsea who seem to be lacking a killer instinct in terms of goals. Ledley King played a big part in Spurs defence. Without him and an inspired Woodgate, it would have been Chelsea's. But Spurs also attacked very well, which is their key attribute, and Cech saved Chelsea on several occasions. A good final.

And its good to see Robbie Keane getting silverware. This should help him and Ireland's cause, although for me he pops up on the wing a bit too much. He should lay it off and get himself into the box on those occasions. Also his wall work.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redspider wrote: »
    And its good to see Robbie Keane getting silverware. This should help him and Ireland's cause, although for me he pops up on the wing a bit too much. He should lay it off and get himself into the box on those occasions.

In fairness, I thought he was very good yesterday and his contributions from outside the box were meaningful. Was great to see that pride and emotion from him after the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I was far too drunk at 6pm yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say Tainio's throw played a small part in it, and Drogba didn't help either.

But the ref clearly motioned that he had stopped the watch for that incident so he couldn't have added time on surely?? The 2 minutes after the first half of E.T, where was that from??

• Advertisement
Advertisement