Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Focus launched?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I Read on the Independent .ie html webpage dated wed 20/02/08 that Ford have announced prices and spec for the new focus that will be here this week. There is a small piece written which basically says that there are 46 models in the range from freedom to titanium spec and ford are delighted that esp is now standard, also all 1.6 tdci will come in under 120 grams of co2and there are prices quoted for only the freedom and titanium models, interestingly enough these prices are exactly the same prices as before, no change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

46 models? Thats a lot of cars for a model range, but probably means: eg LX with either manual or auto available. the facelifted focus cc convertible is in the lineup, I think that was only available in the last year. I find the independent gets its information relating to overseas markets, like the recent Co2 emissions where most of the pictures and spec for comparision were either US or UK and the price given in euros so it was just for the sake of filling a page with useless information.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Some hatchback models are in dealers since middle of last week, saloons not due for another month or so AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Some hatchback models are in dealers since middle of last week, saloons not due for another month or so AFAIK.

Seen the saloon on a dealer's forecourt last weekend. Looks to have only got the new front, rear section looks untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I see the new model listed on carzone/new cars now with new spec, it still shows side rubbing strips as standard which isnt correct, no lx model just style, its a pity aircon isnt standard on this model, makes a better arguement for a basic level hyundai i30 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

I have an ex-demo 05 focus with low milage (15,000mls) and half a notion of trading up to the new 1.6diesel Focus. I am wondering what sort of trade-in I would get from dealers? Perhaps from a financial view it is better to wait till later in the year and trade in for an 08 1.6 demo model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

They robbed the grill from the mondeo. Looks like a cat fish I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anyone have the full pricing(rather than just the outline as seen in the Indo)? I've tried Ford's website since I read this thread last Thrusday, and I still am none the wiser on how much the new Focus will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Carzone.ie has them listed, it originally seemed to me that there was no change but then I noticed that new zetec is priced at what was previously the old zetec connection price, this had bluetooth as standard. There is no mention of bluetooth on the spec list for the new model but then again I suppose it has the esp fitted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

JoeA3 wrote: »

And the wood interior is much worse than it looks in the pictures. Reminds me of cabinets my parents had from the 70's!

Pricing hasn't changed yet but there is a Ford Price increase due next week (around 2%), I presume this will affect the Focus but there is no premium for the new Model.

Apart from the front grill the rest of it looks like the previous model (well it did on the new Ghia hatch we had in last week).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The front looks a lot better when a number plate is on it.

The dealers don't seem to know engines. specs, or prices yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Some news on the diesel engines, which will be of interest to the many sitting on the fence waiting for July 1st currently.

The 1.6 TDCI (90bhp) engine is being withdrawn completely, and is being replaced by the 1.8TDCI (115bhp) unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Oooh ... any word on pricing for that?!

Post VRT change prices are not available yet. It's quite frustrating, as I want to order a new car.

Shouldn't be too long now however.

The 1.6 TDCI (90bhp) engine is being withdrawn completely, and is being replaced by the 1.8TDCI (115bhp) unit.
    Why is that? The 1.6 gets into the 14% VRT band. The 1.8 gets into the 16% VRT band. The 1.8 is €50 more for road tax every year. Isn't the whole point of the new VRT system to get manufacturers to bring in cars that are lower emitters of CO2:confused:? Will Ford import the 2.0 TDCi now finally, it would get into 20% VRT if they sold it here?
    Post VRT change prices are not available yet. It's quite frustrating, as I want to order a new car.

Considering that Ford are desperately trying to shift 1.4 Focuses and 1.6 Mondeos by telling us how much more these cars will cost if we don't buy now in the papers, they're not going to rush into telling us July pricing in the immediate future IMO.

The 90bhp engine was nice and sweet (for a diesel) but hardly a stellar performer.

The 115bhp lump offers way more real world performance, and similar economy. An extra 2% VRT and €50 road tax are worth it I suppose.

New prices BEFORE JULY VRT CHANGES:-

3 Dr Style 1.8 TDCi 115ps €23,120
    4 Dr Style 1.8 TDCi 115ps €24,025
    5 Dr Style 1.8 TDCi 115ps €23,725
    Wagon Style 1.8 TDCi 115ps €24,835
    3 Dr Zetec 1.8 TDCi 115ps €25,305
    4 Dr Zetec 1.8 TDCi 115ps €25,700
    5 Dr Zetec 1.8 TDCi 115ps €25,910
    4 Dr Ghia 1.8 TDCi 115ps €26,350
    5 Dr Ghia 1.8 TDCi 115ps €26,055

I have the 110bhp version of the TDCi in the Focus and while it is no rocket it is quite suited to a car the weight and size of the Focus, etc.

I thought there was a newer even lower emmissions version of the 1.6 TDCi planned for the Focus to meet tough new EuroV emissions tests?

If the reason is for better peformance then maybe they should use the 125bhp version of the 1.8 TDCi in the Mondeo. The 115bhp version is getting on in age now.

I think maybe their partnership with PSA who make the 1.6 TDCi might have ran it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the reason is for better peformance then maybe they should use the 125bhp version of the 1.8 TDCi in the Mondeo. The 115bhp version is getting on in age now.

Same engine!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-418

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

I saw a new Giha recently and the wood effect is horrific. I still think the dash off the original focus is the most attractive.

maidhc wrote: »

Indeed, strange that the Focus seems to get the detuned version.

• Advertisement

The 90bhp engine was nice and sweet (for a diesel) but hardly a stellar performer.

The 115bhp lump offers way more real world performance, and similar economy. An extra 2% VRT and €50 road tax are worth it I suppose.
    Ford still sell a 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi and that also pollutes less than 120 g/km. Check out their UK website. Or else try Ford in Germany.

People like you and me may well appreciate the better performance of the 1.8, but the vast majority of people aren't that pushed about the whole thing. In any event I'm sure the 90 bhp version offers a superior driving experience to the current favourite Focus(in the eyes of the buying publc), the 1.4 80 bhp, and even the 100 bhp 1.6.

If Ford don't bother with the 1.6, then that will mean that they have nothing to rival a Corolla/Auris 1.4 D-4D, or the new Golf Bluemotion(with it's 14% VRT).

To be honest I'm amazed that Ford are meant to be doing this. It makes no sense to me really. Diesel is the way of the future here in Ireland for now at least, and it is utterly pointless IMO trying to lose the title of Ireland's best selling car, which is what Ford seem intent on doing by getting rid of the TDCi 90 PS.

I remember Eddie Murphy saying that Ford will be bringing in the Focus ECOnetic for Ireland, which does indeed use the 1.6 TDCi engine(in both 90 PS and 110 PS guises).

Therer may be a little confusion here, which I may have caused inadvertantly. Apologies if so.

I said the 1.6 TDCI 90bhp engine is being withdrawn immediately, and it is.

The 1.6 TDCI 110bhp engine is not available currrently in a Focus. I expect that it will be reintroduced, and that ECOnetic versions will be sold as promised by Eddie Murphy.

For now it's 1.8 TDCI though.

p.s. Bazz it (1.8 TDCI) looses 10bhp over the largely identically engined Mondeo due to "more restrictive plumbing".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Some news on the diesel engines, which will be of interest to the many sitting on the fence waiting for July 1st currently.

Its still on Ford's website? Wonder why this is as it looked dirt cheap to run? Especially as other makes will have diesels matching the petrol entry price, Ford don't want to have an expensive diesel only

Any exisiting Irish orders for the 1.6 TDCI have been automatically designated the bigger unit.

The website is very poor. Badly out of date. It shows no Zetec models at all in the new Focus. The configurator works, but the info. contained is innaccurate..

Advertisement