Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bittorrent and BT broadband?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

can anyone that has BT broadband tell me if bit torrent works ok with it, cos im just reading their website and its says they dont do static ips..only dynamic, and for port forwarding you need static ip..so im wondering if this affects being able to download.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

www.portforward.com

Follow the instructions, also most ISPs don't give a static ip unless its needed, and a extra charge may incur, you can force a ip using their guides though, its relitivley straightforward

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Works fine for me, except they throttle torrents and other rich media

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

tricky D wrote: »

No they dont, NTL do as far i know...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

tricky D wrote: »

Agreed

• Advertisement

The Fool wrote: »
    Agreed

I dont think they throttle it, but when connention is involved and you everyone ( which most users ) downloading then everyone is going to be affected unless you are on ADSL where is provided on a individual line and not 48/24 others on a line.

Well my connection certainly appears to be. My torrents and vids never get above 22kBps in the small hours. My FTPs and other downloads are significantly faster than that

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Personaly find that i get full download speeds for regular non torrent downloads, but torrents speeds are not great ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Barlow07 wrote: »
    No they dont, NTL do as far i know...
    The Fool wrote: »
    Agreed

ntl dont throttle torrents.

36419864mq8.jpg

ntl dont throttle torrents.

36419864mq8.jpg

I stand corrected, but i have read threads from other posters complaining about NTL blocking torrents.

I personally believe that NO ISP block torrents or throttle them as people suspect, its most likey the network congested or or contention or something else.

• Advertisement

Barlow07 wrote: »
    its most likey the network congested or or contention or something else.
    Not at the hours I am online at home (very early hours) and it is always at the same limit. Also before I got connected to BT I was borrowing (legitimately) some of the neighbours bandwidth and its performance was so much better. Had to go with BT because of their 6 month min contract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, I'm using BT and have never found any reason to think they've been throttling torrents - I'm usually able to get a download rate dramatically exceeding my upload rate.

Using BitTornado

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

No throttling on my end. Can max out my download speed if I let it. Of course it depends on the quality of seeders.

Advertisement