Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening to the Leaving Cert forum?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just enquiring as to why my thread "Maths OL Examcraft" was deleted from the Leaving Cert Forum.

The rules of this part of the forum state that -
    "We aren't banning the discussion of mocks, only the posting of mocks papers and mock questions."

If this is the case, then why was a thread where I said this deleted?
    MATHS EXAMCRAFT Ordinary Level
    Anyone do it yet? How was it? What came up? What are the most important things to learn?
    I know that there has been a lot of trouble on the forum recently in regard to the Mocks thread, and I can't really complain about it being locked, but this really is a joke.

I don't see why every little thing related to the mocks needs to be deleted.
    After all, It is a leaving cert forum and the pre-exams are a major part of the year. I think that the mods on this part of the forum are becoming a bit power-crazy and I feel that you have gone a bit too far this time.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You seem to have missed this bit in the rules "only the posting of mocks papers and mock questions.". By asking what came up people will post up the questions that are in the paper. You weren't discussing the mocks you were asking for the questions that came up. This is against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

You seem to have missed this bit in the rules "only the posting of mocks papers and mock questions.". By asking what came up people will post up the questions that are in the paper. You weren't discussing the mocks you were asking for the questions that came up. This is against the rules.
    I asked what type of questions came up and what are the most important things to study! What is wrong with that? This is a discussion forum! What difference does it make to the mods anyway? Why do they care if people give away hints about the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

blue-army wrote: »
    Why do they care if people give away hints about the exam?

copyright for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Well, I didn't do too well in my leaving cert, and if i'd had the opportunity to cheat I could have done better. But i didnt have the opportunity, so now i want to take it out on all of you guys.

Its a discussion forum, not a cog forum. You didnt ask for topics, you asked "what came up" - looked to me like you were looking for people to give you the questions. That leads to the same kinda crap that was going on, etc. etc. and i'm getting kinda sick of my inbox getting clogged up with reported posts.

To be honest, the more stuff I have to delete, the more i'm gonna begin cracking down on borderline maybe/maybe not threads. The post you made seemed like you were looking for specific questions, but it does seem like you weren't. If you want to repost the thread, rewriting your initial post so that its clear you're wondering what topics, NOT QUESTIONS, then it won't be deleted.

EDIT: also, just an end note, hints on exams aren't the problem. but the people who've started using the forum recently don't just post hints, they post up the entire question. which does break a couple of laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Why do they care if people give away hints about the exam?

Because it won't help you in the long run. Getting good marks in the mocks by having insider information won't carry across to the actual exam.

• Advertisement

çrash_000 wrote: »
    EDIT: also, just an end note, hints on exams aren't the problem. but the people who've started using the forum recently don't just post hints, they post up the entire question. which does break a couple of laws.
    Surely its not copyright if someone types out random questions..who's to say they're not making them up themselves to fool people?

I know that a small number of people went to the hassle of scaning in the paper and posting links to it on the site and I agree that this isn't acceptable and thats fair enough, but that is only a small minority of people. That Leaving Cert Mocks thread had over 120,000 views and over 1,600 posts and I only saw a couple of links to papers.

I don't see why you couldn't just delete these links to the papers and permantely ban people who post them. It surely makes more sence than deleting threads looking for hints (before there is even 1 reply!).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OP you also conveniently leave out the end of your post which hinted at you wanting hints on the DEBS set of papers.

Sorry for reporting so many posts on your Crash but I was slowly driven insane by all the lowlifes. I had the opps to cheat back in the day; chose not to. What would have been the point? Still ended up repeating... :rolleyes:

edit: blue army would you really expect a mod to trawl 1600+ posts looking for all the copyright infringements? No. The thread was deleted and for damn good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

. That Leaving Cert Mocks thread had over 120,000 views and over 1,600 posts

Rofl that must be some boards.ie record! 120,000 views !! Turns out its 7.6k views and 103 posts. You were looking for mock questions which is against the charter. Thread was locked. Simple as that. Dont see why you even made this thread, back to studying.

Surely its not copyright if someone types out random questions..who's to say they're not making them up themselves to fool people?

Thats a good point, they could just be making them up to fool people.

In which case, WHY THE HELL would you as a leaving cert student NOT want those posts deleted? they're either copyright material, or fakes to mislead students. Both are not gonna be allowed in my eyes. and blue-army, I have a life to lead and my own work to do, i'm not gonna spend every minute of my time reacting to reported threads :p

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Rofl that must be some boards.ie record! 120,000 views !! Turns out its 7.6k views and 103 posts. You were looking for mock questions which is against the charter. Thread was locked. Simple as that. Dont see why you even made this thread, back to studying.
    No...it was definately over 1000 posts....80+ pages! I think there was more than one.

• Advertisement

i'm not gonna spend every minute of my time reacting to reported threads :p
    Maybe you shouldn't be a mod then! If your going to delete threads as you presume someone's going to post copyrighted text,before there is even one reply, or if you can't be bothered to remove a few links when browsing through a thread, then you shouldn't be a moderator.

This is a DISCUSSION forum!!! ie. you should be allowed to discuss.:)

Hrm, yes, it was a foolish thought that a thread asking (and this is where I take words for your post and title and put them together) "What came up on the deb maths OL paper" would end up with people posting the questions from the paper. I mean, that hasn't happened at all has it...except for the 50 or so posts i've had to delete recently.

Once again, its a discussion forum, not a cog forum. You didn't get annoyed until your turn to get the answers to the exam got shut down instead of some one elses. Boohoo, cry me a river etc.

Hrm, yes, it was a foolish thought that a thread asking (and this is where I take words for your post and title and put them together) "What came up on the deb maths OL paper"
    It was examcraft actually...;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The LC mods are doing a grand job of keeping the youth of today on the straight and narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Dont do drugs kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Always drink responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

the art of cogging is sadly dying out.

We should be encouraging it more, at an earlier stage.

It's a valuable tool, right up to third level, and even in the workplace.

+1 for cogging

cogging FTW, as the kids say :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah for the old days of personation, when a poor undergrad could get two weeks drinking money just for sitting an Honours Maths LC exam for some thick rich kid.....them were the days, Jem, them were the days.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

funny-pictures-homework-eating-cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Sherifu wrote: »
    funny-pictures-homework-eating-cat.jpg
    classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Where did the notion that this has anything to do with copyright come from? Are the exam papers copyrighted? Are people posting full copies of exams or just extracts? I think this has more to do with cheating being distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Boston wrote: »
    Where did the notion that this has anything to do with copyright come from? Are the exam papers copyrighted? Are people posting full copies of exams or just extracts? I think this has more to do with cheating being distasteful.

Afaik, the kids :) (Lol, and I only out of LC a year), were posting up scans of mock papers on flickr and photobucket and some such. I'm not entirely sure but the mock companies surely have the papers copyrighted and posting them up (or links to) would infringe this?

Anyway, give it a couple of weeks and they'll all be gone again. Its sad to say but 90% of all those LC forum users that signed up only did so for the mocks and aren't likely to use the forum again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats another part of it: boards will probably have an extra 200 artefact members after this round of mocks. And you see the same people making multiple accounts just to slip through the locks and the bans. Fortunately though diligence seems to be paying off for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

cson wrote: »
    Afaik, the kids :) (Lol, and I only out of LC a year), were posting up scans of mock papers on flickr and photobucket and some such. I'm not entirely sure but the mock companies surely have the papers copyrighted and posting them up (or links to) would infringe this?

Anyway, give it a couple of weeks and they'll all be gone again. Its sad to say but 90% of all those LC forum users that signed up only did so for the mocks and aren't likely to use the forum again. :(

Well fair enough, posting up full copies of something is a no no.

Advertisement