Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worn out shoes?

• 22-02-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've pretty much decided to do the marathon this year. But the thing is, I bought some expensive runners two years ago and have only worn them around town.
    Somebody said to me that they actually wear out! Even if a pair of runners can look and feel fine the quality of the 'springyness' goes over time.

Is this complete rubbish? I've no idea. I's prefer not to have to buy a new pair but I don't want to damage my knees either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

What kind of trainers are they, for a start?

No "fashion" trainer will be able to survive a marathon training program and you'll destroy your joints if you attempt it. Your best bet is to get to a proper sports (or better yet running) shop and get fitted out.

And yes trainers wear out, between 400 and 800 miles depending on activity and your weight.

As an aside do you run often (or at all)? What's your sports background? Why the marathon and which one are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fearlessmike

They are Asics runners and I've been doing 4 to 6 miles a week for quite a while. I suppose if you average it over 2 years that's a whopping 520 miles! Allowing for the occasional lazy weekend I must have done 400 miles or so.

I was planning on the Dublin marathon in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

[Amateur advice]
    To answer your question directly, yes runners can wear out. It sounds like you need a new pair. If you're running 6 miles a week at the moment, it's probably not a problem yet but a good pair will protect your knees and should feel more comfortable.

Where do you live, there are a few good shops around the country where the owners know about distance running?

[/Amateur advice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fatboyslim

sounds like you should get yourself some new shoes alright.

Here's some options for you.

Cork (lived in Cork for a while)

John Buckleys- Good advice from a top class runner who has been in business longer than any other running shop in Ireland. Carries a good range he runs in Nike himself but likes Asics as well.

Edge sports- New shop in Cork only open about a year or so. They tend to concentrate on clothing rather than shoes, don't have the same selection as John Buckley.

Waterford area- (this is word of mouth as I haven't purchased in either store)

Ger Wiley- More of a general sports store but they do stock a lot of the running brands such as Brooks, Asics and Mizuno.

Alfie Hales- Sponsor a lot of the local races and have a big push towards nike

Limerick (went to college there)

Limerick sports- There's a girl that works in there called Siobhan she runs her self and knows her stuff, if your in Limerick it would be worth dropping in.

Dublin (currently living here)

Amphibian King- It's been mentioned a few times in this forum, so there's no need to go on about it again. They have the widest range of running shoes in Ireland and really know their stuff staff are all runners and usually physio's.

Mick Dowling- Boxer guy has a few running shoes but knows his stuff about running I believe his wife won Dublin a couple of times.

Arnotts- Don't really have the same selection they once had, staff aren't much better than elverys or lifestyle sports.

Runways- Good bit of clothing but the shop is too small and they don't have much stock. When I was last in they didn't have a size 8 never mind a neutral or support size 8 they just had nothing.

All in all Irelands in pretty good health for running shops right now whereas 3 years ago the options were very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I've heard that 500miles is about the life of a pair of runners, but I suppose it may vary between different types. Also, if running every day, as it takes a while for the 'sping' in the shoes to 'recoil' after a run, apparently if you buy 2 pairs and wear each on alternate days they last as long 3 pairs of shoes if you only have one pair at any one time, if that makes sense...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slogger

seems like fatboyslim knows his stuff.Fatboy are u in the buisness????
    Amphibian King is in Wicklow last time i checked......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slogger

Fatboyslim you seem to know your stuff.are u in the buisness???
    last time i checked Amphibian King is in Wicklow !!!

Advertisement