Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60 Marathons for a Saw Doctor

• 22-02-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

This guy must be nuts 60 Marathons, some of them Ultras.

http://www.runjohnnyrun.ie/

Fair play if he pulls it off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Absolutely phenomenal. Heard him on the radio the other day and he was well up for the challenge. He is even doing ultras and the marathon de sables etc and only counting them as single marathons, so in a way he's overdoing it. Respect! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Check this one out (4th post in thread), claimed that this year Connemarathon will be his 300th..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

911sc wrote: »
    Check this one out (4th post in thread), claimed that this year Connemarathon will be his 300th..:eek:

That's phenomenal too, makes me feel like a couch potato in comparison. So much so I am now going to get off this couch and go for a 10 miler. Useful motivational stuff hearing bout these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

There's a club in the UK called the 100 Marathon Club, their aim is to do just that, I ran a half marathon in Belgium and there was a good crowd of them over there, when I looked at the results sheet the next day it showed that a lot of their dates of births were in the 1930s and 40s....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I think that is as much to do with financials as longevity in marathon running. People born in the 60's, 70's are raising families so don't have the time or money to be heading off for a race every second weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Did anyone else read the interview with him by Ian O'Riordan in today's Irish Times? (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0223/1203619293241.html) Very interesting piece. He wants people to join him doing the races, he has a list of all the ones he'll be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very good article. IoR is starting to redeem himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

This guy must be nuts 60 Marathons, some of them Ultras.

http://www.runjohnnyrun.ie/

Fair play if he pulls it off.

He is some man to be attempting this challenge. Best of luck

But does anyone know how he is funding this? 60 marathons in the 4 years, in 43 countries doesn't come cheap
    I did hear some years ago that one of the Sawdoctors won the lotto - the sum I don't know. Was it him.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jackfrost

Abhainn wrote: »
    I did hear some years ago that one of the Sawdoctors won the lotto - the sum I don't know. Was it him.?

no, it was one of the other fellas who won the lotto (saw him on Hectors travel show one night).
    Whats the usual standard with this kind of thing - do people usually offset their costs against the money they raise? I'm not saying that this guy is doing it, but in general, for charity 'challenges' is this what happens?

Advertisement