Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 323

Options
  • 22-02-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a 00 regd Mazda 323. Has anyone any experience or opinion of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll say the same thing I say every time a 323 is mentioned: (1.3) LX spec is very basic, and the 1.5 (GLX) is nicely powered and well specced to include traction control and an electric sunroof, as well as 4 electric windows and mirrors.
    Ultra reliable, but go for the 1.5 over the 1.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭invisimage

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'll say the same thing I say every time a 323 is mentioned: (1.3) LX spec is very basic, and the 1.5 (GLX) is nicely powered and well specced to include traction control and an electric sunroof, as well as 4 electric windows and mirrors.
    Ultra reliable, but go for the 1.5 over the 1.3.
    Actually it is a 1.4 I am looking at. I am not sure if it has electric windows as the dealer was not contactable today

there is no 1.4. only 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 (which replaced the 1.5 in 2001)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭invisimage

there is no 1.4. only 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 (which replaced the 1.5 in 2001)
    really? he said 1.4 and it said so in the advert its a four door saloon

it's 1324cc, so it'll be in the same tax class as some (just under) 1.4 models, but still referred to as a 1.3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

I am thinking of buying a 2000 mazda 323 also. Research tells me it is basic ,this one does not have elec windows but I have seen a 1996 one with elec windiows?

Anyway he wants 4 grand for it. Saloon, 4 doors, good condition/clean and has a fairky long NCT,not sure how long could be 2 years. Any idea what I should offer, Not paying 4 grand.

try 2750

differing levels of spec have been on 323 models through the years,
    higher spec 00 models are around. bizzarely LX models often have aircon but no electric windows.

try 2750
    Hi. Yes i will but I doubt he will go for it. I think it is way over priced at 4 grand but but seems the dealers will wait for someone who will pay it rather than drop price
    differing levels of spec have been on 323 models through the years, higher spec 00 models are around.
    Do not see many I like
    bizzarely LX models often have aircon but no electric windows.
    Bizzare indeed

colm_mcm Do you think these are a good deal? How basic or otherwise are they in your opinion http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/323/1.5-GLX/962015/ http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/323/1.5-GLX/872261/
    Thanks

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I had the 1.8 glx from 1998 (this would be the same model as you are getting) and I had no trouble with it, bar the gearbox, but that was due to dealer negligence more than anything else.
    I liked it. It was nice to drive and could go when I wanted it to.

colm_mcm Do you think these are a good deal? How basic or otherwise are they in your opinion http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/323/1.5-GLX/962015/ http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/323/1.5-GLX/872261/
    Thanks

Thanks

Aim for a few hundred off either of those two cars, I'd go with the green/blue one over the dark green, looks tidyier, something about the green doesn't look right. that said, drive both and see. tax/insurance won't be much higher, as the 1.3 is taxed as a 1.4 anyway, so the 1.5 isn't too much bigger.

I'd definately get a 1.5 GLX over a 1.3 LX, make sure the cambelt has been changed and that no traction control/airbag/abs lights are coming on, it should also be noted that the greenish blue one has an alarm, which is good as that generation 323 didn't have an immobiliser.

• Advertisement

Aim for a few hundred off either of those two cars,
    i spoke to him just before last post he said he would go down to 2,800
    I'd definately get a 1.5 GLX over a 1.3 LX, make sure the cambelt has been changed
    Is that the 'timing belt'
    and that no traction control/airbag/abs lights are coming on,
    Where are they
    it should also be noted that the greenish blue one has an alarm, which is good as that generation 323 didn't have an immobiliser.
    Well spotted did not notice that. I am going to see them tomorrow

i spoke to him just before last post he said he would go down to 2,800
    Is that the 'timing belt'
    Where are they
    Well spotted did not notice that. I am going to see them tomorrow

cambelt=timing belt

traction control light is an orange light on the instrument cluster, which should come on and off when the TCS button to the right of the ignition (between the seats on later models) is pressed. ABS and airbag lights are also in the instrument cluster and spell trouble if they remain on while driving.

cambelt=timing belt

traction control light is an orange light on the instrument cluster, which should come on and off when the TCS button to the right of the ignition (between the seats on later models) is pressed. ABS and airbag lights are also in the instrument cluster and spell trouble if they remain on while driving.
    Cheers for that. He said the green blue will have 2 year nct and will have a 3 month warranty on engine gearbox. Is 2800 reasonable?

Depends on the car, it's not a mad price, focus on the car, if it needs tyres etc, point it out before you collect. as the warranty is mechanical, make sure everything electrical works. i.e:

* All electric windows go up and down smoothly and quietly, and work from both the drivers door and the door itself.

* Central locking locks and unlocks all doors.

* Electric mirrors adjust properly

* Sunroof opens and closes properly

* Dash has no warning lights on while driving

* ABS and TRC works properly

The 323 is pretty bulletproof, so no major need to worry, just give it a good going over and don't be afraid to spend a bit of time on this - it's a bit late to do it once you've taken it home!

Depends on the car, it's not a mad price, focus on the car, if it needs tyres etc, point it out before you collect. as the warranty is mechanical, make sure everything electrical works. i.e:

* All electric windows go up and down smoothly and quietly, and work from both the drivers door and the door itself.

* Central locking locks and unlocks all doors.

* Electric mirrors adjust properly

* Sunroof opens and closes properly

* Dash has no warning lights on while driving

* ABS and TRC works properly

The 323 is pretty bulletproof, so no major need to worry, just give it a good going over and don't be afraid to spend a bit of time on this - it's a bit late to do it once you've taken it home!

OK many thanks for the tips will let you know the outcome

I went to see the cars and was not happy with either so a bit of an anti climax. Colm_mcm thanks for your help, I took a printout of this thread with your advice highlighted but did not need in the end. Decided really quick they were not for me

Advertisement