Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple of questions about DCU

• 22-02-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, have a couple of questions and would much appreciate any help! I have sent these questions into DCU but they have been a bit slow getting back to me. I am a 22 year old student of Ballyfermot college(BCFE) in Dublin. I am currently in the first year of a two year Higher National Diploma in Media (Radio, Tv, Journalism).

There is an optional third year in which you can earn a degree in media (I think it is called media management or something along those lines). I also believe the degree is issued or accredited by DCU. I am interested in transferring from the general media course in BCFE to a similar course in DCU and have some questions which I would be very grateful if you could answer.

1.Firstly, I understand I have missed the college application date for the next college year(2008/09), does this mean I will have to wait until next year to apply or do different rules apply for mature students ?

2.I am going on 23 this summer. I understand that for most colleges you must be 23 on or before the January of that college year to be considered a mature student. Is this the situation with DCU or would I be considered a mature student for next college year ?

3.How is application for places in the college handled for mature students ? Is it based on points achieved in the leaving cert ?

4.I understand the degree media courses in DCU are mostly three years long. If I complete two years in BCFE and receive my diploma will I be able to go straight into second or third year in DCU ? What if I only complete one year in BCFE ?

5.Lastly, what media courses does DCU offer ? I had a quick look on the website but I didnt see any...I must have missed them.

All help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I'd say you should probably check out dcu's website since it'll have information about being a mature student & lists of courses and also maybe get in touch with the CAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I knew a guy who finished the course in Ballyfermot and then had to do the three years in DCU to get a communications degree. Mature students isn't judged on points in Leaving, you don't even have to have a Leaving. Look up the School of Communications to find out about media related courses, you mustn't have done much research if you don't know about the Communications Studies and Journalism courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jdivision wrote: »
    I knew a guy who finished the course in Ballyfermot and then had to do the three years in DCU to get a communications degree. Mature students isn't judged on points in Leaving, you don't even have to have a Leaving. Look up the School of Communications to find out about media related courses, you mustn't have done much research if you don't know about the Communications Studies and Journalism courses.

No, you're right. I didn't do much research. I saw the communication and journalism degrees but I thought there was another one...

He had to do the full three years ? Ouch. Id rather just do the 3rd year in BCFE and get the degree there if thats the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

a friend of mine is getting his degree this year after completing 2 years in that diploma course in ballyfermot. its only one year more he's doing to obtain the degree.

i think your confused because the degree is accredited by DCU but isnt actually run by them - i think its in ballyfermot still but as they dont have power to give degrees, its accredited by DCU

thats all the info i have - complete 2 yrs in diploma and then one more year to get the degree - its in media, not in communications or anything else

also theres a guy in my class who transferred into 2nd year of our degree course after completing a 2 year diploma in carlow, i think it just depends on DCU being satisfied you have met criteria of previous modules with the work you have done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

figs86 wrote: »
    a friend of mine is getting his degree this year after completing 2 years in that diploma course in ballyfermot. its only one year more he's doing to obtain the degree.

i think your confused because the degree is accredited by DCU but isnt actually run by them - i think its in ballyfermot still but as they dont have power to give degrees, its accredited by DCU

thats all the info i have - complete 2 yrs in diploma and then one more year to get the degree - its in media, not in communications or anything else

also theres a guy in my class who transferred into 2nd year of our degree course after completing a 2 year diploma in carlow, i think it just depends on DCU being satisfied you have met criteria of previous modules with the work you have done

Thanks for the reply. Youre right about the one extra year. You do 2 years in BCFE to get Diploma and then you can do a 3rd year to get your degree. I was just wondering if I could do 2 years in BCFE and get the degree in DCU with an extra year or possibly two.

BCFE is ok but Id rather go to DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Can't really help you on the specific multimedia queries but if you're trying to get in touch with DCU for this kind of stuff the best way is always via the phone. Their email response time is usually terrible. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

This guy is putting his work in, and doing some research so lets help him out.

OP, name off the definitive list of courses you are considering in DCU, and we'll try to get the email address of the course coordinator, or someone involved in the course. Usually better than email some general DCU 'information' email address!!

In my experience, its usually the best to get on to them directly.

Advertisement