Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a domestic godess?

Options
  • 22-02-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i'm sitting here sewing a pair of my fathers trousers.....(unimaginable for some ladies i know) and it got me wondering how many of you ladies out there can work a needle and thread?

My + points regarding domestic Godess status are:

I an handy with needle and thread / sewing machine

I can cook up a storm

My - points
    My house often can be mistaken as a place recently burgled (a tad untidy at times)

Anything involving a power tool, count me out.

I'm have no interiour design skills, matching colours / fabrics = non starter.

Budegting is an evil word.

Come on girls dont be shy, just how good a stand alone supr woman are you? ;)

Hmm, i've more - than + .....not as good as i thought me thinks ;) and no doubt others have lots of wonderous things to add to the list that i'm missing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I can Iron (depends on what), Cook (depends on what) and fetch my boyfriends slippers, if he had some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I used to be a right lazy cow...

But owning my own house and having children has turned me into a martha stewart...

On my own admission, I am a great cook. I dont let my husband cook.

I have to have a clean and tidy house and wont sit down til the kitchen is cleaned up after meals.. (Although I have a cleaner once a week)

I am brutal at sewing...Although I can crochet..

I think my house is modern but homely...

I like gardening, and leave the diy to the hubby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I baked a cake yesterday while wearing an apron I made myself.
    I am extremely tidy and clean.
    I have a rota for most regular chores.
    My wardrobe looks like a Bennetton shop.
    I am a great cook (I'm told!)
    I have recipie file cards in a pink floral box.
    My friends used to call me Monica (friends), but now they call me Bree(desperate housewives).

However -
    I can do an oil change and change a wheel easily, I love xbox war games, and I swear like an alcoholic sailor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I have started cooking, and the house is fairly clean accept on sat mornings, but doesnt take long to fix. I can sew, but i deny it a lot! I can change a tyre on a car and put up a shelf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I can:
    sew-thanks to school
    knit-school.
    cook-small rnage of dishes but nothing fancy in anyway
    bake-simple enough stuff though
    clean-even though i refuse to tidy my room
    wire a plug-random but may come in useful someday
    and im fairly handy at D.I.Y

but i am bad bad bad at keeping things tidy..floor may be clean and recently washed but by the day after you can no longer see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

themadchef wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm sitting here sewing a pair of my fathers trousers.....(unimaginable for some ladies i know) and it got me wondering how many of you ladies out there can work a needle and thread?

My + points regarding domestic Godess status are:

I an handy with needle and thread / sewing machine

I can cook up a storm

My - points
    My house often can be mistaken as a place recently burgled (a tad untidy at times)

Anything involving a power tool, count me out.

I'm have no interiour design skills, matching colours / fabrics = non starter.

Budegting is an evil word.

Come on girls dont be shy, just how good a stand alone supr woman are you? ;)

Hmm, i've more - than + .....not as good as i thought me thinks ;) and no doubt others have lots of wonderous things to add to the list that i'm missing.

Well, do YOU think im a domestic goddess :D ??? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Well, do YOU think im a domestic goddess :D ??? haha

LOL after your short few days visiting at Casa del chef's.... i would YES.

Much calmer than my good self,
    a legend with Nappy changing duties,
    Lethal with a sweeping brush (hmm almost threathning at times)
    and relentless with the windowlene.

So i think you ticked more boxes than i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

themadchef wrote: »
    LOL after your short few days visiting at Casa del chef's.... i would YES.

Much calmer than my good self,
    a legend with Nappy changing duties,
    Lethal with a sweeping brush (hmm almost threathning at times)
    and relentless with the windowlene.

So i think you ticked more boxes than i did.
    You forgot making a mean pot of soup while you were out feeding the Island... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I can hoover, do a bad job washing the car, load and unload the dishwasher and use the washing machine. Thats pretty much it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I don't even own an iron, landlord bought a new hoover for the house and 12 months on its still in the box. House is organised chaos - can't clean things away to much cus then I can't find anything. I did fix the boiler myself and figured out how to bleed the rads when it needed doing.

Interior design I can do but I'm an artist so being able to match colours and design are kinda what I do for living so I should be some what good at it. Cooking I'm pretty good at if I do say so myself as long as its all veggie, been one for 15 years so have no clue how to cook anything with meat in it. Make orange chocolate vegan muffins and banana cake the odd time to bring into the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Love cooking, love a clean house, don't mind cooking at all... I just hate cleaning up other peoples mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Hmm..well i can cook but ive no need to, my fella does all the cooking (lucky me!!), i do all the dishes, i hoover, general tidy up although it doesnt stay tidy long..i can iron (sort of!) but never really bother..thats about it really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I can cook, knit, sew, crochet, assemble flat pack furniture, clean, iron etc. Sadly my laziness prevents me from doing any of that :D

I can turn the dial on the microwave all by myself tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh christ, im brutal. i love ironing, though havent done any since i worked in an elderly couple's house in june/july last year. im learning to cook... mostly just boiling my veg and oven-ing stuff. (im pretty bad at the terminology too...)... im very untidy, though i dont like really tidy places, make me uncomfortable. can't really sew, but had a go at it the other day for my jeans, though given i've been using safety pins instead for the last two years, i wasnt exactly aiming for a picture perfect finish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I'm woeful. I hate domestic chores. I probably would be better or make more of an effort if my boyfriend wasn't so good. He gets home before me every day so he cleans up and cooks the dinner. I never cook and when I do I normally start it and he comes in and takes over and finishes it :D
    The design and DIY stuff I can do and am in the process of doing so at the moment but any cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, etc etc gets left to himself or the laundrette :D

ha, it really does get harder when he does a lot of the work doesnt it?!
    tough i do feel bad, he often doesnt let me do it, as ive just finished a long day at work, so he enforeces his command over the dishes, hough i have to confess, i dont put up much of a fight at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

ha, it really does get harder when he does a lot of the work doesnt it?!
    tough i do feel bad, he often doesnt let me do it, as ive just finished a long day at work, so he enforeces his command over the dishes, hough i have to confess, i dont put up much of a fight at all...

Ya it really does!
    When we moved in together first I was in college and he was working so I used to do everything. We were only living in an apartment then though so it was a lot less work :)
    Now 99.9% of the time he's home before me and everything is done by the time I get in. It's great! I feel bad too sometimes but he doesn't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

I'm a really good cook and living on my own I don't have much to clean so tend to do it as I'm going along, I'm great with kids, hate ironing, I can strip any broken electronic equipment, fix it and reassemble it (with no parts left over :D ) other than that there's no other real domestic tasks I'd be doing oh and I can't sew for sh*t :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Kazobel wrote: »
    I can strip any broken equipment, fix it and reassemble it (with no parts left over :D )

If only life were always so simple Kazobel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am a domestic engineer cos goddess don't have to clean toilets.

Yes I can and do, cook, bake, sew, dressmake, cover cushions, paint and decorate, garden, quilt, crochett I do what needs doing but given a choice I would prefer to be at the pc or reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I can cook
    I can bake
    I clean like a woman posessed at times - dont wear gloves. I got my house brand new and intend on keeping it that way - I dont take for granted my fortunate position of having my own house.
    Today I went to town on vinegar -we have v hard water in the area and only thing to shift water marks is vinegar.
    I have lots of drinks/cereals to hand

I just hate that if a person enters my house and they dont feel comfortable in it.
    No complaints so far as peeps have fallen asleep on my couch as it sooo comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My brother came into my house for the first time, and said "ohhh..will I take my shoes off?"

It looks good, but my cupboards are those of a lazy cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

When I'm not living at home, I tend to keep things fairly ok. I can sew on buttons, fix hems and the like, but I've forgotten how to sew properly. I knit a bit, no dolls or anything for a while, but maybe I'll get back into it. I like putting things together, be they flatpack or jigsaws. I like taking things apart and putting them back together to see how they work. I can cook and bake the basics, I make pretty amazing pastry but that's about the only wow. I'm far too lazy to be domestic though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I know where the kitchen is. I used to cook, now I live on noodles.
    I can sew on a button, but it will stay on for the exact amount of time I need it to, barely.
    I do flatpack furniture.
    I clean things, but I share with 2 girls and a boy, so there is no point.
    I last saw my iron about 2 years ago. I've moved three times since then, I have no idea where it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

"no one can be really esteemed accomplished, who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.''

wait... what word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

wait... what word?

accomplished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Enjoy cooking, and pretty good if you ask my flatmate and guests, but I hate doing laundry with a passion! (Can't picture doing his and hers week after week until I croak)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I have just killed a cockroach the size of my head in the kitchen, using only one of my drum sticks.

Does that make me a domestic god? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Does that make me a domestic god? :D
    Naaaaa, just the great hunter. Will you stuff and mount its head on the wall?

Advertisement