Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a domestic godess?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

can do the cleanin abd ****e but ask me to cook............... well that another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Naaaaa, just the great hunter. Will you stuff and mount its head on the wall?

Nope. Too late. I've already eaten it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

and can yiz get rid of unwanteds (houseguests)???

themadchef wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm sitting here sewing a pair of my fathers trousers

They taught my dad to sew in school.
    He sews better than me, but I can do a few stitches.

I adore cooking, I bake my own bread.
    I could iron but I wash my clothes on a low spin cycle and hang them right away so don't.
    I'm starting a vegetable patch.
    I've always done all the DIY and maintance at home from wallpapering to fixing broken cookers. Except carrying out the bins....thats why boys were put on earth.
    I am good at interior design, I like arts and crafts.
    I hate excessive cleaniness and organization.
    I have never looked after a child in my life and have no idea how to even make conversation with them.

I can sew (thank the nuns at school for that)
    I can knit, but haven't done so in ages
    I can cook, not brilliantly but getting there
    I iron, but careful folding and drying of clothes means I have to do very little
    I'm a clean freak, love the oul bottle of bleach
    I've no problem minding kids
    I can pick up a spider and chuck it out the window without killing it

Because I bought my second-hand house alone, I learned very quickly how to assemble flat-pack furniture, paint, fill holes and hang curtains.

Not great with the drill though, I'm more scared of hitting a pipe or a wire somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I've always done all the DIY and maintance at home from wallpapering to fixing broken cookers. Except carrying out the bins....thats why boys were put on earth.

I hear yah on the bin issue.
    barr that & a severe spider issue, im the official kim & aggie for my family.

if they need something done they call me, its like the ghostbusters only im a girl and its usually an emergency "help me" from a domestic emergency :D

bake an emergency birthday cake? yup
    flatpack? need a shelf put up? need to know how long to roast a chicken for? how to get rid of a stain? hem needs fixing? yup can do it all.
    curtain pole fell down? i'll fix it.
    computer... cant work it, i'll teach you..
    need help with homework? yup, i'll give it all a go.

my family & friends are always slagging me, im way old before my time.
    they call me professor!! :rolleyes:

i should set up my own business & start charging folk, the amount of things i do for other people in my spare time.
    just call me a consultant.
    il fix or design anything for your house/garden
    unless it involved spiders. euch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Can cook
    Can clean
    Assemble furniture
    Basic DIY
    Can change a tyre
    Most odd jobs,

Don't enjoy alot of it though except the cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Cooking and Ironing i can do and actually enjoy. (Ironing...i know its weird)
    i can sew by hand. my mam hasa machine and she's an expert but i dont think ill ever know how to use it.

i've not had to do much DIY stuff so i'm not sure, i'll set up furniture and stuff that can be good sometimes but i cant guarantee it'll stay standing.

Gardening - i'd say i could be great at this if i worked on it and got into it properly.

one very simple thing i CANNOT do and really dont think i'll ever be able to, is Peel Potatoes!! drives me mad!! i cant do it without taking chunks out.

My mam does all the painting and ceorating in the house and she's great at it. i just cant see myself being like her. she basically does everything in our house. i dont know where she learned it all....

I can change a tyre and check oil and all that jazz aswell if we're counting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I can cook and bake really well, sew, dressmake, crochet, knit, embroider, like a clean but not overly tidy house, good with kids, change a wheel, assemble flat pack furniture, get rid of mice from mouse trap (though I do throw out trap and all), put spiders out, garden, cut grass, paint, match colours, am good with computers and software.
    I bought my first house on my own and never lived with a guy til I was 29. My oh benefits now :-)
    I hate ironing and am currently looking at a full basket, with most of my work clothes waiting to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

I love cooking , I love baking and I can clean when needs be!

I CANNOT fry an egg without it burning/yolk breaking etc, I know its a simple concept, but its something that i just cant master and Im so ashamed! :(

I hate ironing and drying dishes....il wash, just not dry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I baked a cake yesterday while wearing an apron I made myself.
    I am extremely tidy and clean.
    I have a rota for most regular chores.
    My wardrobe looks like a Bennetton shop.
    I am a great cook (I'm told!)
    I have recipie file cards in a pink floral box.
    My friends used to call me Monica (friends), but now they call me Bree(desperate housewives).

However -
    I can do an oil change and change a wheel easily, I love xbox war games, and I swear like an alcoholic sailor.
    jasis:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

jasis:eek:

Most of the women here sound like superwomen! Yisser all great girls:)
    I can do all the domestic stuff and garden stuff. But the things I would really,really,really like to do I never will. Sing and dance.Havent got a note in my head and two left feet. Spose Im a frustrated goddess:(

Ok I seek help from a domestic godess
    This morning while appying mascara in my sleepy nature it flew out of hands and bouced several times onto the CREAM carpet (about 3 little marks but noticable)
    I wiped with several flash wipes (the extent of my cleaning products)
    Please help!!! the carpet ain't mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

thats the way we all should be lol
    i cook, clean, love to build argos furniture, painting sanding you name it i do it, i think a woman needs to have all these skills so they do not have to depend on men for anything!! but baring in mind i would not know how to depend on someone else let alone a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm a SAHM & today me the kids baked chocolate brownies & carrot cake, yum! I try to keep on top of the tidying as it's easier to do a little every day. I darned my husbands trousers while the kids were having lunch. I'm the one who does the fuse changes & DIY as well as the car tyres, oil, anti-freeze, etc...I don't iron tho, hate it! :)

Coolsmileygirl, is it waterproof mascara? Don't use a wipe, use a cotton bud & blot. Baking soda & lukewarm water is good but if it's waterproof you might need a carpet cleaner like vanish or stain devil - again add a few drops to stain & blot away with cotton bud. hth

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'm a very good cook and a good gardener - vegetables, not flowers. I can clean and launder, and am good at the DIY theory, but not always the practice. I'm a serial tidyer.

I can sew buttons and do small repairs, but it's messy. I haven't seen the iron in about a year and a half, though it does cross my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

This morning while appying mascara in my sleepy nature it flew out of hands and bouced several times onto the CREAM carpet (about 3 little marks but noticable)

Vanish bar - warm water - circular motions
    Damp cloth - leave to dry then hoover

Like new - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Believe it or not fairy liquid is great for getting stains out.. I drop my mascara a couple of times of week, Im actually thinking of getting a black carpet (max factor black)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Believe it or not fairy liquid is great for getting stains out.. I drop my mascara a couple of times of week, Im actually thinking of getting a black carpet (max factor black)

Lol! Im contemplating colouring my hair in the shed for the same reason. Me in bedroom because theres a full length with good light: I will be soooooooooo careful this time... *splatter* ahhhhh fcukage! :eek:

+1 Fairy ftw. It cuts through grease, grime and slop brilliantly. Its about using your noddle before you get stuck in. lightly scoop up with a some loo / kitchen roll. then bring in a basin with a bit of water, and a generous dollop of Fairy. Concentrate on just that area, and resist the urge to do exaggerated scrub motions, it will only discolour the surrounding area also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I cook. Extensively.
    I make jams and jellies, sauces and pies, roasts and cakes.
    I garden. It will become extensive when I have more space.
    I iron, and hate it, and am paying someone else to do it very soon.
    I stack wood and light the fire virtually every day.
    I feed pets and muck out chickens.
    I can sew. I refuse to.
    I work part-time locally.
    I have my own business which I conduct alongside working part-time locally.

I play RPGs on my PC, drink too much and generally don't care.

I doubt it qualifies as godhood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

I cook. Extensively.
    I make jams and jellies, sauces and pies, roasts and cakes.
    I garden. It will become extensive when I have more space.
    I iron, and hate it, and am paying someone else to do it very soon.
    I stack wood and light the fire virtually every day.
    I feed pets and muck out chickens.
    I can sew. I refuse to.
    I work part-time locally.
    I have my own business which I conduct alongside working part-time locally.

I play RPGs on my PC, drink too much and generally don't care.

I doubt it qualifies as godhood.

god there is a domestic godess right there where do you find the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I baked a cake yesterday while wearing an apron I made myself.
    I am extremely tidy and clean.
    I have a rota for most regular chores.
    My wardrobe looks like a Bennetton shop.
    I am a great cook (I'm told!)
    I have recipie file cards in a pink floral box.
    My friends used to call me Monica (friends), but now they call me Bree(desperate housewives).

However -
    I can do an oil change and change a wheel easily, I love xbox war games, and I swear like an alcoholic sailor.

Love it!

Can cook, iron, change light globes, mow the lawn in a pinch (don't have any here) do the garden myself, change car oil, pump up my bike tyres hate housework but do it when I need to make a good impression.

Used to sew all my kids clothes, knit, cross stitch, bottle my own tomatoes, make bread, jam, grow vegies- then I discovered triathlons and reclaimed my life:D

I have trouble seeing the eye of a needle to thread it now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ozchick wrote: »
    Used to sew all my kids clothes, knit, cross stitch, bottle my own tomatoes, make bread, jam, grow vegies- then I discovered triathlons and reclaimed my life:D

I know what you mean. I'm pretty good

-I can do the needlework: sow, darn, knit, crochet, even a bit of carrickmacross lace when needs be. Quite like making dresses for weddings and the like. The rest is not so fun.
    -I can cook: Can do the fancy stuff but it takes time. Given that we usually get home after 9, it's more likely to be "sensible" food that can be cooked in 20 min. Bless the presssure cooker!
    -I can do the DIY, the basics like painting and tiling but I have been known to install the odd shower and do a bit of blocklaying and plastering. I quite like gardening but heven't really got cracking on the new place.
    -I do like things to be tidy so I spend quite a bit of time cleaning and ironing. I'm hoping to pay someone to do it for me in the next while though. As Ozchick knows, a sparkling house is nearly incompatable with serious triathlon training.
    Mind you, to qualify as a DG, I probably need to be able to do all of the above and still have time to entertain himself afterwards, I'm usually fast asleep with my face stamped with the shape of a book by the time he comes upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

nikki 122 wrote: »
    god there is a domestic godess right there where do you find the time

I hardly watch television and I get up at 6am. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Considering im only a young'n I think im pretty domesticated...
    I can cook and bake most things..I tidy as I go when doing either as I hate mess around me.
    I can sew/knit thanks to being taught in primary school and carrying it on into secondary school. Something I will defo bring into the classroom (primary teacher)
    I can light a real fire, can fetch coal, chop wood with an axe. Love a real fire..one of my favourite thing in life.
    I can change oil and a tyre, jump start the car and pump wheels with no problems..know alot about cars actually, have two older brothers so was kinda natural.
    I know about the trip switch and how to replace a plug or to put tinfoil around the fuse.
    I can iron, however leave it to my mother..I get bored very easily from it. I am dinger at ironing shirts if I do say so myself, thankfully my mother isnt aware of this..lol.
    Never attemped gardening (don't think iv green fingers at all) have mowed the lawn on occasion alright thats about the extent of it.
    Love arts and crafts..
    Can't kill spiders or any other creature..still call who evers in the house for that.
    Love hoovering and sweeping floors..
    Hate clutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    I can sew/knit thanks to being taught in primary school and carrying it on into secondary school. Something I will defo bring into the classroom (primary teacher)

I learnt to knit in primary, and then picked it up again a few years ago. I find it very relaxing, and it helps keep my sanity intact. Knitting for all!

I'm glad to discover reading this thread that i am not the only person who does not own an iron. I can iron, i just don't... :D

Otherwise, well, i have the skills and dabble in them when i get the inclination to bake, garden, diy. I own an apron or two. I do get pleasure from bringing in a load of washing that has been line dryed and feels fresh and clean.

Fundamentally, i'm seriously untidy but clean. The piles of mess get moved to one side, hoovered under, and then moved back. People are amazed when they visit my place, and after commenting (aka 'lying to be polite') "um, it's not really that untidy", then they see the bathroom/kitchen and "omg, it's really clean" in a shocked tone.

Advertisement