Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Quiz

Options
  • 22-02-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Right, hope this works

Just answer the question from the previous post and then ask your own question and so on...

What is Desdemona's father's name in the play Othello?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Brabantio!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Who wrote the poem the Pomegranate?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

alan4cult wrote: »
    Who wrote the poem the Pomegranate?

eavan boland.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Nevermind, it is Boland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

shortys94 wrote: »
    Nevermind, it is Boland. :)
    No, it was Eavan Boland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What is the german word for obesity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

alan4cult wrote: »
    What is the german word for obesity?
    Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats Othello about, in 6 sentences or less?

The play is about the evilness of people and how they can be easily manipulated. Othello is driven to madness by Iago, who has brought the green-eyed monster on him. Othello is so blinded by this, that he fails to realise the truth and innosence of his wife and friends. In the end he ends up murduring his wife, setts up traps to kill his friend and finally kills him self when he realises that he was wrong about the whole jelousy situation.

:D

What is "Step cost" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Nice idea.. i cant answer most of them. But HEY. Formula for Centripetal force and acceleration anyone? BAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

daggy wrote: »
    Formula for Centripetal force and acceleration anyone? BAM.

Acceleration = V x Omega

F= ma = M x V x Omega = (mv^2)/r = M x Omega^2 x R

Define the law of Diminishing Marginal Returns.... Who contributed to forming the law

Yuugib wrote: »
    The play is about the evilness of people and how they can be easily manipulated. Othello is driven to madness by Iago, who has brought the green-eyed monster on him. Othello is so blinded by this, that he fails to realise the truth and innosence of his wife and friends. In the end he ends up murduring his wife, setts up traps to kill his friend and finally kills him self when he realises that he was wrong about the whole jelousy situation.

:D

for 10 marks I'd give that 6/10 but thats an amateur's take on it. You start of good by discussing the themes of evilness (not a word btw... and can i suggest 'morality'?) and manipulation; truth and innocence. I assume the Green Eyed monster is envy? Having not ever read Othello mind you.

"Othello portrays misplaced trust, immorality and manipulation. Driven to mad envy by his friend Iago and a Green-Eyed Monster, Othello is blinded from the innocent nature of his wife and loved ones." <-- at this point I'd have added more to be honest, but again I havent read Othello but I'm sure theres more you can say here: What moral did Othello learn from his ordeal in the end? What did Iago become? Why did Iago manipulate Othello?

wou maybe I can extract the whole play out of you this way :)

The inverse square law of Physics for daggy: and give me the three (I think its 3) applications/forumae of the inverse square law in your physics course.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Coulomb's Law, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and....um....light intensity in the photoelectric effect??

Biology: Define negative feedback

kaki wrote: »
    Coulomb's Law, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and....um....light intensity in the photoelectric effect??

que?

An the inverse square law that governs two bodies states that 2 point masses attract each other with a force directly proportional to the product of their masses, and inversely proportional to the square distance between them.

Gravity: (G x M1 x M2) / d^2 where G is the gravitational Constant

Charges: [1/(4 x pi x e)] X [(Q1 x Q2) / d^2] <-- where 1/4x pi x e accounts for the permitivity of the medium (eg. a vaccum or air)

the Photoelectric law is not one of the inverse square laws. I was mistaken and there appears to be only 2 such laws in the course.

----

Recite word perfect (hopefully from memory) Newton's 3 laws of motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

A particle will move at constant velocity unless acted on by a force.

The rate of change in momentum of a particle is proportional to the applied force and takes place in the direction of the force.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Not word perfect, but the gist is there.

How would one factorise x^3 - y^3?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

A particle will move at constant velocity unless acted on by a force.

The rate of change in momentum of a particle is proportional to the applied force and takes place in the direction of the force.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Not word perfect, but the gist is there.

(x+y)^3-3xy(x-y) :D

who was hitlers architect?

conbob wrote: »
    (x+y)^3-3xy(x-y) :D

Pretty sure that the above would give you a positive y^3 when he wants - y^3

Without thinking about it enough to be sure I'm right I'd just go for difference of 2 squares and say:
    (x^3/2 + y^3/2) (x^3/2 - y^3/2 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Albert Speer

Define Electronegativity
    (Chemistry)

The electronegativity is a measure of the power of attraction of an atom
    for a shared pair of electrons.

Who does John Donne mainly address in his poetry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Give the 2 conditions which tRNA must have, in order for it to connect to mRNA, in order for it to carry out its specific translation and in order for it to form the correct amino acid chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Who does John Donne mainly address in his poetry
    Either this mistress or God

Name one of the Allied losses in the Second World War

crud... i had physics mocks today, mother of god it was DIABOLICAL.
    Hahah most of the 56 markers i scraped about 12marks.

BUT i did know my electricity hup, and it came up and i kicked ass but other than that it was terrible.
    But does somebody want to answer this :

"When a gun fires a bullet the kinetic energy gained by the bullet is much greater than that gained by the gun. Explain "

couldnt quite manage it today... yes , i know it's probably shockingly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Is that Higher or ordinary?

Kinetic energy equals (1/2)(m)(v^2)

So even though the m of the gun is a lot bigger, v^2 is like teeny compared to the bullet's v^2 so it works out much less.

But that's really just an assumption so I dunno if you'd get the marks for it.

Nobody answered the last Q so I won't ask one.

That's pretty much what i wrote... bit of waffle.
    mmkay. It's higher !

Under the principle of Conservation of Momentum:

Momentum before firing = Momentum After firing

M[gun]*u[gun] + M[bullet]*u[bullet] = M[gun]*V[gun] + M[bullet]*v[bullet]

Example: If the gun is 3kg and the bullet is 0.03kg we have:

3*0 + 0.03*0 = 3*v[gun] + 0.03*v[bullet]

*algebra*: 0 = 3*vG + 0.03vB

so: 3*vG = 0.03*vB

hence the velocity of the bullet B will be much greater than the velocity of the gun G; which satisfies the Principle of Conservation of Momentum [and satisfying its equation]. for instance if the velocity attained by the gun was 1ms^-1 , the bullet of much lower mass would need a velocity of 100ms^-1 to balance the equation.

This also holds true for the conservation of energy, so that
    >> the Energy before the reaction = Energy after
    >> Energy of the bullet = Energy of the gun
    >> (1/2*m*v^2 = 1/2*m*v^2) so you can make the same arguing point. You may assume no energy is lost in the reaction to outside influences (heat, light, sound, etc.) unless the question specifies there is energy lost in the reaction.

**edited for forwardly mentioned typo**

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

ian.f wrote: »

Define the law of Diminishing Marginal Returns.... Who contributed to forming the law
    The law of Deminishing marginal returns states that as more and more of a variable factor is added to a fixed factor, a stage will enentually be reached where returns begin to decline.
    and im gonna say it was john maynard keynes????

State the two laws of elecromagnetic induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Overheal wrote: »

>> (1/2*m*v^2 = 1/2*m*v^-2) .....

should that "...v^-2..." not be "...v^2..." why the minus? or is that just a typo?

• Advertisement

E = -N(dO/dt) where O = magnetic flux and E = induced emf

The induced emf will be in a direction such as to oppose the change that produced it?

What's the past participle of 'boire' in french?

Advertisement