Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BT] Problem with modem since upgrade to 8Mb

Options
  • 22-02-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I was on BT's 3Mb package with line rental also from BT, and got upgraded unexpectedly about 2 weeks ago.

Since then it has been very difficult to connect. I have DSL sync but I don't get an IP address. If I keep hitting "Restart Connection" I might get connected after ~10 goes. After that everything is fine.

I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router (came from eircom) with the lastest firmware (7.6.0r4). Strangely, it's all working perfectly with a ZyXEL Prestige 623, but that has no wireless.

Here are some stats for the Netopia:
    Downstream     Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)   7072       512
    SN Margin (dB)               4.50        22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)      40.50       21.00
    CRC Errors                     471           8

Does this suggest that the line is too noisy for 8Mb? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
    F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Hi,

I was on BT's 3Mb package with line rental also from BT, and got upgraded unexpectedly about 2 weeks ago.

Since then it has been very difficult to connect. I have DSL sync but I don't get an IP address. If I keep hitting "Restart Connection" I might get connected after ~10 goes. After that everything is fine.

I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router (came from eircom) with the lastest firmware (7.6.0r4). Strangely, it's all working perfectly with a ZyXEL Prestige 623, but that has no wireless.

Here are some stats for the Netopia:
    Downstream     Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)   7072       512
    SN Margin (dB)               4.50        22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)      40.50       21.00
    CRC Errors                     471           8

Does this suggest that the line is too noisy for 8Mb? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
    F

The SNR is way to low and would suggest to much noise on the line. What i would suggest is disconnect everything on your phoneline and connect it back to the main and see if your stats are still the same after?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

When I changed from the Netopia to a Dlink modem my SN Margin figure improved from 8.5db to 26db, which is a massive improvement and CRC errors disappeared. I have also noticed this on customers lines when troubleshooting poor connections.
    It seems that the Netopia creates alot of noise on the line.
    Check your line stats when using the ZyXel.

Either get a wireless access point to use alongside the ZyXel or get another all-in-one unit. Either way I'd say dump the Netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

isnt it great when bb providers offer you a free wireless router.

but it turns out to be the worst thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Unfortunately Netopias AUTOPVC configuration doesnt seem to work on BT's LLU2, 90% of attempts will failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 41.00 19.50

I'm currently with Eircom now over 3yrs and still have the same wireless Netopia. I have never had any problems with my connection, i once rang to get a new power supply as my previous one was gone. I am thinking of switching to BT, but only when the LLU is available in my area which should hopefully happen this June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Looks to me like they're syncing your line a bit too fast. Surprising really!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

All my tests have been done with nothing else connected to the line.

Here are the stats for the ZyXEL:
    relative capacity occupation: 64%
    noise margin upstream: 19.0 db
    output power downstream: 19.0 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 22.0 db

relative capacity occupation: 109%
    noise margin downstream: 7.0 db
    output power upstream: 11.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 38.5 db

so the noise margin is still very low.

As I said, I've got no problems connecting with the ZyXEL, but I think it may be syncing up at a lower speed. I can't find this info in the router's control panel but here are some speed tests:
    www.irishisptest.com: 3.35Mbps/428kbps
    www.speedtest.net: 3520kbps/411kbps
    Unfortunately Netopias AUTOPVC configuration doesnt seem to work on BT's LLU2, 90% of attempts will failed.
    Are there any changes I can make in the Netopia to get around this?
    Looks to me like they're syncing your line a bit too fast. Surprising really!
    So are there any commands I can give to the Netopia to make it sync at a lower speed?

Thanks,
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm no expert but I think the sync speed is determind on the ISP end. You could call tech support and get them to set a slightly slower speed.

so the noise margin is still very low.

F

The SNR is set at the DSLAM, by default is ~6 dB, its normal for your SNR to be low, its the way ADSL2+ works.

At what speed does your Zyxel sync?

Check under maintenance, system status and then show statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

Praetor wrote: »
    At what speed does your Zyxel sync?

Check under maintenance, system status and then show statistics.

Thanks, just found it:
    7584 down/512 up

So, is the Netopia just "bad" at these speeds? Can I issue telnet commands to sync at a lower speed?

F

• Advertisement

So, is the Netopia just "bad" at these speeds? Can I issue telnet commands to sync at a lower speed?
    F

No, it just that particular model. New Netopias will work fine on ADSL2+

Advertisement