Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal Livery

• 23-02-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

What would you're ideal livery yard be? realistically!
    i.e. what facilities for the horses/riding (rubber mats in all the stables, large sand arena with jumps etc)
    tack room facilities.....what would you like to see in the tack room?
    toilet facilities?
    also, would you like extra ''luxuries'' like microwave/kettle/sink etc in the tack room e.g. if you wanted to hang out at the yard all day and wanted to cook yourself something.

also, what would you consider a good price for full livery in the autumn/winter months, with turnout during the day and in at night, and would you pay the same during the spring/summer with 24/7 turnout with the option of bringing the horse in to his box for box rest or before a show etc. with basic feed hay and bedding supplied and also the option for the horse to be turnout out for you/brought in/rugged up/groomed/excersized either ridden or on the lunge etc if you wanted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Am a leisure rider / RC,

Would want daily turnout throughout the winter, rugs changed, horse brushed over, access to decent treking/XC jumps/arena. FArrier/vet visits etc attended . Grass livery in the summer months WITHOUT having to pay to keep a box all summer that is not being used.

The above is acceptable to me. My IDEAL yard would include:- horse put on walker if necessary, tack cleaned, horse well groomed, access to lorry for treks/fun days/shows, wash box & solarium, tack lockers, warm tack room...

Obviously other people want their horses ridden/schooled - but this doesn't bother me.

Honestly what I would pay? €100-150 pw depending on staff/facilities etc €180 pw for top notch competiton livery, but it would want to be well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

How much would you consider a reasonable rate during the summer if you're horse had 24/7 turnout? :) I agree about the warm tack room, especially in the winter, nothing worse than being wet and frozen lol.

Bump. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Im talking heaven here and i know its a tad unrealistic:

*Tonnes of fast hacking through forrests, beach, mountains etc with scenery.
    *Cross country course catering for beg, intermed, advanced.
    *Large indoor school available in evenings.
    *Large rubber surfaced outdoor menage.
    *Full set of showjumps.
    *Horse walker.
    *Lunging arena.
    *Large, bright, airy stables, well drained, rubber matting, shavings bed, with auto drinker, feed shute - Of which there would be no more than 20 stables/no more than 20 liveries.
    *Large turnout area available all year.
    *Secure snug tack room with Tea/Coffee area, toilet facilities with warm water and blow dryer. (i like the tea/coffee area in the tack room as you can work there like clean tack, and chat to people as they pass through.
    *Employed/appointed person/s on yard between the hours of 7am and 9pm. Tuitition also available for booking.
    *Shows/clinics to be held on yard once a week.
    *Oh and no bitchiness, i would like it if it was all my friends livering on the yard with me and at least 5 goodlooking horsie blokes thrown in for good measure :D

Think thats about as ideal as i can think of :)

24/7 turnout and DIY livery? I wouldn't pay more than 50euro per week.
    For the above, id probably pay €150 (outside of dublin)

• Advertisement

those facilities that you listed would be great, how much do you think is reasonable for full turnout in the summer (with a field shelter) and horse groomed etc for you and possibly excersized as well as fed and watered? so kind of full livery minus the stable. :)

Depends on location and how desperate one would be for livery, but im still saying around the 50euro a week mark. there is much less manual labour attached to a horse at grass then one in the stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

50 euro a week for what is effectively schooling (or at least exercising livery)!!!???:eek:
    Not a hope!! I take a limited number of young horses for schooling and in the summer they get a lot of time out during the day and in by night and there is no way - even if they were out by night as well that I could do it for 50 yo yos if I was schooling them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

kerrysgold wrote: »
    What would you're ideal livery yard be? realistically!
    i.e. what facilities for the horses/riding (rubber mats in all the stables, large sand arena with jumps etc)
    tack room facilities.....what would you like to see in the tack room?
    toilet facilities?
    also, would you like extra ''luxuries'' like microwave/kettle/sink etc in the tack room e.g. if you wanted to hang out at the yard all day and wanted to cook yourself something.

also, what would you consider a good price for full livery in the autumn/winter months, with turnout during the day and in at night, and would you pay the same during the spring/summer with 24/7 turnout with the option of bringing the horse in to his box for box rest or before a show etc. with basic feed hay and bedding supplied and also the option for the horse to be turnout out for you/brought in/rugged up/groomed/excersized either ridden or on the lunge etc if you wanted.

In fairness, I'd be much more concerned about the conditions in which the horses would be kept rather than what facilities would be there for me. Regardless of how much time you'd want to spend there, it's the horse who'll be there 24/7.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to put together a packed lunch for yourself before you head out there, so then it won't matter about what facilities are there for the owners who aren't paying for human livery at the yard!

Have you given up on the idea of building a shelter for your horse where he is at the moment?

Nope, I've found a place for the horse for when I can find one! I was just curious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Nope, I've found a place for the horse for when I can find one! I was just curious. :)

Wow, you're really thinking ahead! It's kinda like that ad on the radio (I can't remember what it's for) where the mother goes into the school to enrol her children and when the principal asks her what age they are, she says 'oh, they're not born yet! I just wanted to get in early!' :)

lol! well you see I found a lovely horse to loan before but I hadn't found anywhere to put him, so I missed out on him so I'm not taking any more chances seeing as loan horses seem so scarce in this country I don't want to miss another good one!

Advertisement