Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JEB??? Really confused!!

• 23-02-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all,
    will set the scene, qm a qualified teacher, spent 4 years doing a Bed (hons) at St Marys Belfast. Spent a couple of years working in England, before settling at home in NI with now hubby. Am totally unfamiliar with Irish education system, so would like some advice/info. Hubbys brother is engaged to a rather overbearing girl from southern Ieland. The "lady" in question has never been to university and thus has no degree/3rd level qualification of ANY sort. Whilst working as a secretary, she secured sponsorship by FAS to do a part-time 1 year diploma in JEB computer practices in IT. i have googled this course and the entry requirements are very low (5 GCSE's!!) Now this girl claims to have secured employment delivering a Youthreach programme, she claims to "teach" (her words!) Maths & English (how does an IT course qualify someone to deliver core subjects??) However details are very sketchy and differ regularlyWith the current crisis in teaching in NI (7000 unemployed/qualified teachers, banghead.gif FYI i myself have secured alternative employment due to financial pressures) can this be true???!!! i am totally mistified by this banghead.gifbanghead.gif , could it be true that someone, without teacher training and a 3rd level qualification could gain such a post? Also if true, can she be offered a permanent contract? Perhaps i should move house!
    BTW there is a certain level of bruised ego here, am fed up of DH relatives saying this fraud is now a teacher!! im trained to do what she claims (maybe rightly??) to do!
    Hope this makes sense to someone,
    Thanks thanks.gifthanks.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭CraftySue

Sounds like she is working as a Resource Worker, with Youthreach. Generally most VEC's will hire qualified teachers for this position, but they do not have to. Its not a permanent contract, but a 2 yearly contract.
    I can understand your frustration, all the qualified teachers out there looking for work, yet people with limited experience are been hired. The whole "anybody can teach anything" attitude is very disheartening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

..also, YouthReach courses are not always to any exam and have their own particular difficulties, given the clientele they serve.

Many of the resource teachers in YouthReach perform a more pastoral role than necessarily an exclusively teaching one. YouthReach is not for everyone.

It's quite possible 'qualified' people did not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LMulhaire

Sounds very familiar. Have heard of numerous people who completed FETAC courses, all without degrees and many without Leaving Certs, and then progressing on to teaching FETAC courses. I am not saying they are under-qualified or that I would be any better at their jobs but once you are in the system via FAS or adult learning programs there does seem to be a lot of inside help.

Advertisement