Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountains

Options
  • 23-02-2008 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Well a few of the lads have decided to do a bit of camping in the Dublin Mountains come July(a bit away yet) anyway what is the most remote place to start from...i.e not some guided part.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You could start up around Djouce or Lough Tay and the Luggala but i would not advise anyone to walk/camp around this area unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I have been caught around Djouce on more then one occassion where clouds hit the top of the mountain, it is scary and very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

irishbird wrote: »
    You could start up around Djouce or Lough Tay and the Luggala but i would not advise anyone to walk/camp around this area unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I have been caught around Djouce on more then one occassion where clouds hit the top of the mountain, it is scary and very dangerous.

Why is it dangerous,

If you really want remote Lugnaquilla or Benleagh are the most remote spots I know of.
    Note:
    It might be of interest to know that at the base of Carriglineen mountain at the cross roads at avonbeg river crossing there is a pub with camping facilities in front of it. If not only for the social aspect this area is also remote and located at base point for the Glenmalur valley that leads to Benleagh and Lugnaquilla (which is also wicklows highest mountain) .This would also provide safe parking.

Mullaghcleevaun Mountain and duff hill are also very remote although I dont Know where you would Park.

If not driving I would get the bus to laragh/glendalough and head off from there which while a long walk will get you to either of the above mountain areas easily.

map-f.jpg

AT BOTTOM CENTRE OF MAP TO THE RIGHT OF THE GLEN OF IMAAL is LUGNAQUILLA MOUNTAIN and the pub is (off map) at the bottom right of the map at the crossroads over the river which also has some camping spots. Laragh is just off map (lar) but is near glendalough on map is low right.

Well a few of the lads have decided to do a bit of camping in the Dublin Mountains come July(a bit away yet) anyway what is the most remote place to start from...i.e not some guided part.

Firhouse or Knocklyon to the military road and onto kippure or Johnny Foxes Pub has a good area that will take you into the Kippure.

The Dublin mountains : From Kilternan- KnocKnagun Mt or the best and most remote spot is from Brittas - Tallaght up the Corrig mountain and on up to Kippure.

The County wicklow Border:
    The mast at Kippure and the area of glencree mark the wicklow Border. County Wicklow also has a rifle range along one side of Corrig MT all the way to Seefingan and is marked a danger area this also conviently or inconviently depending on which county your in marks the wicklow border. I suppose Kippure is your most remote spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Bus to enniskerry -walk up to shop river -then onto knockree hostel? (turn on left as you go past the shop river)-stroll on down past hostel- down to vally floor.
    Although it's usually full of yokes on the bank holiday weekends
    that spot over by glenmalure is good crack (make as much noise as you like no-one around for miles
    if your not used to camping/hiking don't be a rambo,
    remember the further off the beaten track you are the further you are from civilization.
    Bring your map,
    Don't drink the water from the rivers(fish f**k in it),
    Bring your termals,
    Don't rely on your phone not much coverage in some of the vallies
    I wont go on im sure you boys have it all sorted.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This all sounds very promising I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

And please don't fcuking litter the place!!
    The amount of litter left behind by weekend trippers is unbelievable, I honestly think some Irish people have a mental screw loose, they go to experience natural beauty and then fcuking leave litter and destroy it...would they think camping on a dump was so nice?

Aghhrrr...rant over..estebancambias i'm sure you'll be responsible wherever you go (I hope).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Longfield wrote: »
    And please don't fcuking litter the place!!
    The amount of litter left behind by weekend trippers is unbelievable, I honestly think some Irish people have a mental screw loose, they go to experience natural beauty and then fcuking leave litter and destroy it...would they think camping on a dump was so nice?

Aghhrrr...rant over..estebancambias i'm sure you'll be responsible wherever you go (I hope).
    yea dont litter cause the rest of us dont want to be looking at it .......be nice it's not yours you only have a lend of it for the w.end

You could burn it but preferably,bring your litter home with you and recylce it. If you see any litter while there you could dispose of it also,
    Wickla heads, Dispose of your litter properly when on a night out in dublin. Cigarette wrappers and fast food wraps should be put in litter bins. Bottle disposed of in a local bottle bank. Keep Dublin tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Any where along the Sally Gap Rd heading towards Round Wood. Plenty of places to park and not too far from civilisation. But bring your litter home. Weather can turn nasty in a heart beat even in summer so be well prepared.

• Advertisement

cock robin wrote: »
    Any where along the Sally Gap Rd heading towards Round Wood. Plenty of places to park and not too far from civilisation. But bring your litter home. Weather can turn nasty in a heart beat even in summer so be well prepared.

Keep wicklow tidy + 1

Congratulations Aughrim, Co. Wicklow. IRELAND'S TIDIEST TOWN 2007. The following are in
    I think OP is looking for Dublin mountains anywhere West of Kippure MT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement