Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Found

Options
  • 23-02-2008 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

A stray dog followed me home tonight from the crescent shopping centre to O' Connell Ave it is fully tan dog i think its is a mix between a german shephard and collie and is very tame and friendly it could do with some tlc if anyone knows of a missing dog of this description please let me know asap i have somewhere for the dog to stay for this weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You should contact Limerick Animal welfare.

also if you have a photo you should attach it. If you don't know how to do this email it to me and I can post it for you send me a Private message if you need help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might also like to put a notice up in the Cresent Shopping Centre, if the dog followed you from around there then there is a good chance it is a native of the area and the owner could be on the look out. I think Tescos have a notice board out there.

The Limerick Post also do a pets lost/found section afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 funkybutterfly

The night the dog followed me home i tried ringing the animal welfare but there was no answer i had a proper look at the dog and its a german shephard

My friend is looking after the dog until i get in contact with them and im going out today to take a proper photo i think its a female

My husband told me that the dog was around the omniplex and that someone had seen the dog in moyross and that it had been knocked down and had made its way out to dooradoyle

Im going to make up some posters and go to the supermarkets and put some up there too

Thanks for the reply's ill let ye know what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

You could contact the Limerick Post as well. They have a pet page every week and usually feature pictures of missing dogs.

The main thing I would urge you not to do is contact the Pound, they'll put it down after 5 days if not claimed. Limerick Animal Welfare don't put healthy dogs down so if you do need to call someone to take the dog please contact them instead.

Best of luck with the search for his owners and without meaning to sound condescending well done on trying to find his owners. Many wouldn't bother.

I got in contact with the animal welfare this morning and they said they cant rehome a german shephard because its now a dangerous dog ?!

They had told me first to take the dog to the vet and then to the pound but i didnt want it to go to the pound after i had explained about how bad condition the dog was in they said after the vet they would take the dog i think its probably for after care

The vet said the dog has a bad case of eczema all over which will take 8 weeks to clear up but other then that the dog is fine :D and said maybe someone couldnt take care of the dog and could have left it off but my friend said if that if an owner isnt found she would take the dog so that its not put down ill still keep searching for the owner but thankfully theres nothing serious wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got in contact with the animal welfare this morning and they said they cant rehome a german shephard because its now a dangerous dog ?!

They had told me first to take the dog to the vet and then to the pound but i didnt want it to go to the pound after i had explained about how bad condition the dog was in they said after the vet they would take the dog i think its probably for after care

The vet said the dog has a bad case of eczema all over which will take 8 weeks to clear up but other then that the dog is fine :D and said maybe someone couldnt take care of the dog and could have left it off but my friend said if that if an owner isnt found she would take the dog so that its not put down ill still keep searching for the owner but thankfully theres nothing serious wrong

Good to hear. Hopefully either way the dog will be find a good home.

i finally got a picture of the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

aw he's gorgeous. it makes me so mad when people just abandon dogs because they cant be bothered any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There was a dog similar looking to that one at the Halting Site on the
    Dock road a while back that appeared to wander out onto the road in front of
    cars and not get out of the way. Only reason I remember was that it was
    unusual in colour being mostly tan and it stood in front of my fathers car and
    would not get out of the way.

Fantastic looking dog, Does not look too young.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just a very important clarification:

Whoever the OP spoke to definitely wasn't with Limerick Animal Welfare or else they're a new recruit and have their wires crossed - we take in all dogs, whether they be on the restricted breeds list or not. That includes Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermanns, Staffies... a dog is a dog is a dog. ;)

Funkybutterfly, I have sent you a PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

The Limerick Animal Welfare should have the people in charge answering the phones. I know they work and can't answer the phones all the time but they could rotate it instead of letting any Joe soap answer it.

My friend rang a few months ago because she had kittens and she didn't want the animal welfare to take the kittens she just wanted to let them know she had them in case anyone rang looking for a kitten. The lady who answered the phone didn't give her a chance to talk and ate the face of her. My friend just hung up annoyed.

These people should be trained on how to answer the phone.

I'm sorry, I don't know who it was answered the phone, but "these people" are all unpaid volunteers. Did you know LAW get anything up to fifty calls a day on the mobile alone? We do our best but we cannot always answer a call. Nor can we help every animal there and then - we have limited resources and at any one time there is a waiting list of dogs and cats waiting to come into our care. The people who answer the phone also walk the dogs, feed the cats, clean the kennels, do the rehoming, travel to and from the vets, keep up with emails and the website, help out at fundraisers and respond to emergency situations.

It would be a full time job for someone just to answer every call and return every message.

We don't let any "Joe Soap" answer the phone - you need experience and common sense to handle the kind of calls that come in. I believe the person who answered the phone to the OP has just started with us. By the way, the people who are in charge do answer the phones - the chairperson has been answering the landline for the last twenty years, and until last year, the vice-chairperson was handling the mobile. I've handled the mobile myself and it's exhausting!

We're always looking for volunteers - why don't you get in touch? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

I always give money to Muffin and Cynthia when i see them. :D I was only thinking that the people who are on phone duty should be told they have to listen and let the person who is looking for help finish what they are saying. Then if its some family who don't want their old dog stinking up their new furniture or scratching their new wooden floor anymore then the person answering the phone can ate the face off them and explain they can't just dispose of a dog after so long just because its in the way now or they now want a designer dog to put clothes on.

Tell me ye haven't had this call yet?

Siouxie, those kinds of calls are all too common, but they're not the worst ones. A lot of people who no longer want a pet - and want it gone PRONTO - can't understand that we have limited resources, so they threaten to let the animal out on the street, or have it put down, or worse - tell us that they'll shoot it. If the vets are full, the sanctuary is full and the foster homes are full, that'll put you in a tailspin, I'll tell you. Then there's the reports of animal cruelty, which would make your blood boil. Thanks be to god we get nice calls too, like the one from your kind friend, but I guess you can understand why we'd be a bit cranky sometimes? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I think LAW do a brillant job, I got my Dog from them last Oct and she is a Gem (shepherd btw), All the dogs are well looked after and "these people" are fantastic I would take all the dogs home cept the hubby would go crazy :D I bow to you( and donate of course) Boomrang for all the great work everyone in my family have a LAW dog and we have get togethers for the Dogs to keep them social and tirer them out :D

That's really wonderful, Musha. It's exactly the kind of good news that keeps us going. :) I love shepherds! Did you adopt yours from Ann Kelly in Caherconlish? She's the big GSD lover amongst us, and always takes in the stray and abandoned sheps. She has three of her own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

We where lucky enough to meet Ann last year, Both my aunt and me adopted Shepherds from LAW My girl was up "playing"(wrecking) with Ann's lot last week, its good to know that she is in good hands if we have to stay away overnight ...

Advertisement