Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club3D 8600GT Heatpipe ,queries

Options
  • 23-02-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I've just got one of these cards yesterday and I'm looking for an opinion on a couple of things if possible :).
    Card details : http://www.club3d.nl/index.php/products/graphics/item/297

Basically I decided to turn a machine I had into a HTPC ,the machine is an inspiron 530 . So I threw a pvr150 card in along with the 8600GT HP.

First off ,there isn't a lot of airflow within the inspiron case as some of you know. Theres a fan on the CPU and one directly beside on the back of the case, so there isn't any air getting pulled in from the bottom.

I ran speedfan last night and all the readings are between 33C and 44C . The program I use to stress the GPU is called GPU Caps viewer http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/.
    It allowed me to run 6 different graphics screens simultaneously.they all stress certain maths on the gpu as far as I can tell.

So I've basically done my best to increase the heat of the card ,but to no avail. I don't have any sensors obviously within my machine, for the gpu:(

Questions I have are ,is there anything I can do that would suggest that the card is flaking out?
    Also ,if I only use windows media centre with the card ,is there a chance that the card will never really heat up ? or does leaving the machine on for days on end ,gradually heat any passive card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if the airflow isn't good, then the card will gradually get hotter, but at general desktop (in fact, unless your case was practically made of tinfoil it wouldn't overheat during any activity) use no, it won't get hot to the extent that you need to start worrying. Passively cooled cards usually run far hotter then the active ones, which is normal.

Use AtiTool to monitor and stress your card. The card has an onboard sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks very much for your help ,ati tools has worked a treat:)

My machine has been on all night and acording to Ati tools ,my card is staying at 55oC constantly ,that includes tv on screen.

I ran the graphic tests and I could only get the card to heat up to 65oC ,within a minute of closing the test ,the card was back to 55oC.

So the sink works and works well.

I owe you a pint!:D

Advertisement