Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Almost 100K raised for Sligo Rovers, which is a great achievement. They now need to raise a further 130K to stay alive.(I hope that is the right figure as it looks like a mis-print on the website). I hope they can do it. That is to pay off what is currently owed. If they get the money how can they maintain and run the club without getting into further debt?

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbeyojcw&cat=sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

maybe people should go the matches more????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

They're hardly going to start now that there's no chance of seeing Sligo score due to a total lack of strikers...

Xiney wrote: »
    They're hardly going to start now that there's no chance of seeing Sligo score due to a total lack of strikers...

it was 3-3 vs drogheda!! and an other goal dissallowed at the bohs match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney if this is in response to my comment, i didnt say/mean we have no strikers, we have no guy for the lads to play off, club still have goals in them/attacking options just not their favourite option at the moment:o

• Advertisement

Nah, it's because I get all my sports opinions spoon fed to me by Mr. Xiney.

(Not because he forces me to take his opinions as my own, but because I have none of my own on the subject and therefore absorb his in order to be included in conversations in a transparent attempt at belonging :( )

it was 3-3 vs drogheda!! and an other goal dissallowed at the bohs match!

sounds like it would have been an interesting (if heartbreaking) game!

sounds like it would have been an interesting (if heartbreaking) game!

yeah and I missed it!!! the one match I didnt go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Great game and great result brillant atmosphere last night, both sides playing really attractive football. There is a really special feeling to be had from beating Shams and coming from behind to win just adds to the piquancy and makes my hangover bearable this morning. Red Armeee Red armee Red Armeee!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My 7 year old nephew came home from the game singing:

"WE ARE RED, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F*CKING DYNAMITE!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

basquille wrote: »

haha, the lanuage in the shed end would have made you hair curl, great game, fantasic result, might have to dig the passport out

also, whats everyones feeling on the latest fundriaser idea, 2e/week direct debit, their looking for atleast 1000 people, also at least 5e from local business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Is it correct that if Rovers win next Friday night in Cork they will be playing in Europe next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

CSC wrote: »
    Is it correct that if Rovers win next Friday night in Cork they will be playing in Europe next season?
    Not definetly, but a very good chance. Cork have yet to play St. Pats, then Us, Then bohs. Not a easy particularly end to the season for them!
    Dont want to jump the gun, but I'll be readying my passport!

BCawley wrote: »
    Not definetly, but a very good chance. Cork have yet to play St. Pats, then Us, Then bohs. Not a easy particularly end to the season for them!
    Dont want to jump the gun, but I'll be readying my passport!

if you look at each others final fixtures, we defo have an easier run in, although will be keeping the bubbly on ice for another couple of weeks yet

:)

Sorry guys to rain on your parade, but even if Sligo Rovers do qualify for Europe next season will UEFA let them take part? Club stability is a huge thing and UEFA/FIFA are clamping down hard on clubs who get into Europe with financial difficulties. There has to be a certain criteria that has to be met.

M
    basquille wrote: »

My god that brings me back, I would have sung that as a 7YO myself.
    One thing I miss about the demise of winter football is the games around Christmas. Then on St Stephens Day a beery shed would sing my favourite ever rovers chant.

Away in aha Mainguh,
    No Palayis for aha bed,
    The little lord Jesus,
    Woe cup any said,

Za Wofuhs Za Wofuhs Za Wofuhs.

I especially liked the way they sang the third line with such tenderness in comparison to the gruff intonation utilised in the delivery of the other lines.

DenMan wrote: »
    Sorry guys to rain on your parade, but even if Sligo Rovers do qualify for Europe next season will UEFA let them take part? Club stability is a huge thing and UEFA/FIFA are clamping down hard on clubs who get into Europe with financial difficulties. There has to be a certain criteria that has to be met.

well ground wise i have heard they might have to upgrade the flood lights and one or two facilities, dont quote me as could be totaly wrong, discusions amoung mates, financilly, i dont know

:confused:

I also remember a chant I once heard sung in a Dublin pub before a fixture with a certain Norhtside club. It was cruel and juvenile yet funny in the way the best football chants are, it went something like this.

You are Junkies, thieving Junkies,
    Only happy when you are high,
    You'll be a junkie,
    Til you OD,
    Choke on your vomit and die.

A Junkie til you die
    A Junkie til you die
    With HIV til you OD
    A junkie til you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

DenMan wrote: »

Rovers financially sound at the minute. All debts cleared, players in contract still have to be paid in the off season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Going to be a massive game on friday now and can't wait i'd assume there will be a big crowd aswell. Think it's safe to assume we'll win because we have so much to play for where as bray have secured their safety.

2-0 rovers and bohemians to beat cork:)

• Advertisement

Going to be a massive game on friday now and can't wait i'd assume there will be a big crowd aswell. Think it's safe to assume we'll win because we have so much to play for where as bray have secured their safety.

2-0 rovers and bohemians to beat cork:)

any win for sligo and a bohs win, and the passport will be getting dusted off next summer for the UEFA qualifiers

kinda getting exciting now

a sligo win tomorrow, and cork to lose or draw

or

sligo draw and cork to lose by at least 9 goals

think i'll take the first opition, hopefully there will be a full house, cheer the boys on, do our work on the pitch, that game is in our hands, we cant do anything about the cork game, if we win, we can still say we done our best

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well good luck to Rovers. Lets hope the set Europe alight next season. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Mr T is oh so excited about tomorrow! Wouldn't it be amazing if Rovers got through to Europe!!

Good Luck Boys!!!!!

today is the day!!! hope I'm not to drunk to miss the goals!!:D sorry mrs T I will be home very very drunk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

today is the day!!! hope I'm not to drunk to miss the goals!!:D sorry mrs T I will be home very very drunk!!

As long as you remember we have a date with a man in a red suit in the morning and it's not Benny the Bull!!! :)

we're on our way to europe, we're on our way to europe, la la la la yey, la la la la yey

sligo 2 bray 0

bohs 3 cork 1

get the passports out boys and girls, your foreign pharse books, get out yours maps of eastern europe/middle east, we're in the 1st round qualifiers for next seasons uefa cup

we're on our way to europe, we're on our way to europe, la la la la yey, la la la la yey

from RTE sport
    Sligo Rovers leapfrogged Cork City into fourth spot and secured European football next season after a comfortable 2-0 defeat of Bray at the Showgrounds.

Defender Mauro Almeida headed Raffaele Cretaro's cross into the net to open the scoring on 14 minutes.

Man of the match Conor O'Grady secured the win with a well-worked second on 29 minutes, as he headed Sean Doherty's free-kick past Bray keeper Alan Gough.

Romuald Boco also hit the post, as Rovers dominated proceedings.

That is terrific news for Rovers. I am very happy (non Sligo native). Brilliant result and with Bohs putting Cork to the sword tonight, European football awaits Rovers next season. Delighted for them, also glad because a lot of the press during the week were thinking Bohs mightn't have a go at Cork tonight at Dalymount. The Showgrounds must have been buzzing tonight.

Well done Sligo Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah great news indeed. Lets hope they do the North West proud.

Pity about the other shower of *^&)£%)*7

Advertisement