Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Would br good signing to have Killian Brennan on board - talented lad. Good signing re Galway winger -- suitable replacements for McCabe.

With Raff back should be guaranteed goals, ffingers crossed.

Wonder whether Rafff will get a little grief from some in terrace when he's back.

Apologia in Champion might mend bridges -- we did laugh at Raff, Brennan (and even Rossi) at Pisser Dignan's field -- football what a fickle old game!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Emailed a few of the candidates in the election for the fun of it (and just out of interest to see what they'd say) asking them the following:
    Question wrote:
    What is your policy or plans for securing investment/grants for sports clubs in the Sligo area, particularly Sligo Rovers, if you get elected in the upcoming election?

Replies:
    John Perry wrote:
    One of my primary goals for sports clubs will be the reinstatement of the
    Sports Capital Grant programme. This crucial programme for many years
    provided much needed capital funding for clubs and sports organisations and
    allowed them to provide excellent facilities and amenities in their
    respective communities.

I will also be very anxious to ensure that any funding provision is done in
    an equitable manner, because under the previous scheme, the vast bulk of
    funding was allocated to the constituencies of the Taoiseach and senior
    government Ministers, and was little more than a vote purchasing excercise.

On a personal level, I am one of the major sponsors of Sligo Rovers FC, and
    am engaging in a new sponsorship programme for academy and youth football
    at the Club. I am proud and delighted to continue my association with and
    support for Sligo Rovers.

Best regards,
    John Perry TD.
    Thank you for your email.

I am passionately aware of the positive contribution sports can make in the community – particularly in times of economic despair. Sports can lift the community spirit and restore hope in an otherwise bleak environment.

I am an avid supporters of Sligo Rovers FC and am delighted at the success of the management and the team this season. I had the great privilege of attending both cup finals and shared the joy of victory. When I lived in Sligo I attended all home games at the Showgrounds. Since I moved to Manorhamilton I attend matches whenever I can although the time pressures on a local councillor are considerable. The club is a good example of how a community spirit can be elevated through success on the sports field.

As a member of Leitrim County Council I was instrumental in negotiating a significant Council grant to help the local Manor Rangers FC progress their development plan. I was and am also fully supportive of the Leitrim County Council / FAI Community Soccer Programme which operates throughout the county.

If elected a TD for Sligo / North Leitrim I will continue to work hard to ensure that the community contribution made by sports in general – and The Bit o’Red in particular – is recognised and supported. I would appreciate an opportunity to meet with the Management or Development Committee of Sligo Rovers FC to discuss their plans and consider how I could help the club achieve it’s objectives.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Got no reply from O'Keeffe for a good while so emailed her again asking is it her policy not to reply to voters:
    Of course not... forgive the delay. I dont like to give an answer til I'm sure I can give you a fair response but of course I should have told you that that's what I was doing.

I will come back to you very shortly - as I always do.

Kind regards

Susan
    A few days later:

Apologies for the delay.

I am a supporter of Sligo Rovers and have always had an interest in soccer, supporting Liverpool for many years. I also personally believe that government investment in sport at every level, particularly in schools must increase. It is important in the battle for better health but also important for communities sense of pride, especially for younger people.

The Labour Party wants to increase funding for Local Sports Partnerships and to increase the investment in people working in sport rather than in bricks and mortar.

We believe that the Irish Sports Council must work in partnership with local authorities, OPW, Waterways Ireland and Coillte to identify and strengthen Irelands outdoor recreation facilities such as treks, walks and cycle ways, camping and water sports.

We will also work with the local authorities to provide improved lighting of walking and jogging areas, municipal areas with the development of basketball courts, astro pitches and green gyms. For example in Sligo, basic lighting would make a huge difference to the runners who train at the Racecourse.

We would also like to save money spent on a range of semi-states and consultants and redirect it to sport associations and clubs.

We will work with the Department of Education and schools' boards of management to resolve the insurance issues so that schools facilities could be opened up to clubs and communities.
    I would expect that the result of these policies over time will be the provision of additional grants directly to the sport and not to the building of sports facilities. In that way, Sligo Rovers will be able to apply as new grants emerge.

Please see our website www.labour.ie for our policy A Level Playing Field.I hope this helps.

Kind regards and thank you for your interest.

Susan

Declan Bree and Tony McLoughlin didn't bother replying at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

tonys on the development committee....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

I wonder how many Liverpool matches Susan O'Keeffe has been to? Sounds like if she gets elected she'll do **** all.

tonys on the development committee....
    Not much to being on that to be fair, it's a committee that may aswell not exist.

• Advertisement

thebuzz wrote: »
    Not much to being on that to be fair, it's a committee that may aswell not exist.
    hes involved in the club.he goes to the matches.they meet every month.do you volunteer for the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What's on the menu for 2011, will it be another generous serving of a League Cup and FAI Cup. With an extra portion of League Champions added I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What's on the menu for 2011, will it be another generous serving of a League Cup and FAI Cup. With an extra portion of League Champions added I wonder?

A cup or 2, a nice run in the league, and hopefully at least 2 to 3 over seas games in the europa qualifers in june.

hes involved in the club.he goes to the matches.they meet every month.do you volunteer for the club?
    He's not 'involved' with the club, he goes to home games, like most Rovers supporters. He does no more than the ordinary fan does, he just likes to make sure everyone sees him 'supporting' the club. Like when we won the League Cup, he made sure his face was in plenty of pictures and also made sure he butted in as the players actually lifted the cup which I thought was a disgrace.

I do volunteer in plenty of ways yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

He's not 'involved' with the club, he goes to home games, like most Rovers supporters. He does no more than the ordinary fan does, he just likes to make sure everyone sees him 'supporting' the club. Like when we won the League Cup, he made sure his face was in plenty of pictures and also made sure he butted in as the players actually lifted the cup which I thought was a disgrace.

I do volunteer in plenty of ways yeah.

I dont think this is fair to say about Tony McLoughlin, he has been going to games for over 20 years and has travelled to away games in Athlone and Longford on wet and windy nights when Rovers were in the First Division. doubt he was doing that to get a few votes! Also, im pretty sure he was mayor at the League Cup final so would have been a guest of the club, and so would have been seated where the presentation was, he didnt position himself where he would get photographed as you have suggested.

Tony is a very decent guy, approachable and down to earth. He may not revolutionise the way Ireland is run, but 25% of first preference votes in the local elections is very impressive.

I will be giving him my No.1 because i know hes in it for the right reasons.

• Advertisement

Redders825 wrote: »
    I dont think this is fair to say about Tony McLoughlin, he has been going to games for over 20 years and has travelled to away games in Athlone and Longford on wet and windy nights when Rovers were in the First Division. doubt he was doing that to get a few votes! Also, im pretty sure he was mayor at the League Cup final so would have been a guest of the club, and so would have been seated where the presentation was, he didnt position himself where he would get photographed as you have suggested.

Tony is a very decent guy, approachable and down to earth. He may not revolutionise the way Ireland is run, but 25% of first preference votes in the local elections is very impressive.

I will be giving him my No.1 because i know hes in it for the right reasons.
    Don't get me wrong, I have no real issues with Tony. I just took issue with what forza rovers said about him being so involved with the club, he's just a fan, nothing extra. As I say the development committee is really a non-entity these days, was a good idea at the time but nothing ever came of it really.

I have issues with politicians using the club for a photo opportunity, and I know Tony's not the worst offender with this-Matt Lyons is worse and he's not even a Rovers fan.

Anyway enough about politicians, bring on Derry!

Don't get me wrong, I have no real issues with Tony. I just took issue with what forza rovers said about him being so involved with the club, he's just a fan, nothing extra. As I say the development committee is really a non-entity these days, was a good idea at the time but nothing ever came of it really.

I have issues with politicians using the club for a photo opportunity, and I know Tony's not the worst offender with this-Matt Lyons is worse and he's not even a Rovers fan.

Anyway enough about politicians, bring on Derry!
    i never said he was so involved..i said he was involved in the club. at least the man is willing to give up his time for the club weather you think the committee is a poor idea it is this committee that is in-charge of any future development of the club be it a big development or something minor. people are very quick to criticise others who volunteer for the club but when push comes to shove when help is needed they are nowhere to be found.

at least the man is willing to give up his time for the club weather you think the committee is a poor idea it is this committee that is in-charge of any future development of the club be it a big development or something minor.
    You obviously dont understand the workings of the club so I'm going to leave it there. The development committee do nothing, they dont meet, they dont do work around the ground, they are there in name only. That's all. Any future development done in the Showgrounds has nothing to do with this committee, it is the MC and the Chairman and Packie Lynch that will be giving the go ahead for any development, nothing to do with a development committee.
    people are very quick to criticise others who volunteer for the club but when push comes to shove when help is needed they are nowhere to be found.
    Again, I do volunteer for the club so what you're saying there does not apply to me.

Again, I do volunteer for the club so what you're saying there does not apply to me.

Just wondering in what way do you volunteer.

edolan wrote: »
    Just wondering in what way do you volunteer.
    Help with stuff on match night, also selling lotto tickets & help doing up the ground.

Help with stuff on match night, also selling lotto tickets & help doing up the ground.
    did you help doing up the ground for europe?

Yeah Shane I did. Did Tony McLoughlin? That's who this is about, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

I was disappointed to read in today's Weekender that the chairman has stepped down. He will be missed.

Hopefully someone like Vincent Nally gets the job, he knows how to run a business properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Fantastic to see Seamus Coleman get his first cap for Ireland last night.

A nice moment of reflected glory as well for Sligo Rovers imo.

:)

• Advertisement

Is there any update on plans to develop a new stand where The Shed used to be? Any real plans that is -- I know they had architects plans drawn up -- don't know if planning was ever sought and granted...

Mr Kelly was a fine Chairman, who are the front runners? Can't seriously suggest O'Dwyer is the man in line!

Aaron Greene signed from Bohs today.

Declan Bree and Tony McLoughlin didn't bother replying at all.
    Bree got back to me yesterday if anyone is interested
    Some good investments have been made in sports clubs in Sligo in recent years. Strand Celtic for example now have some of the best facilities in Connacht for a junior club and at the Showgrounds of course a lot of good work has been done, particularly with the all-weather pitch and Treacy Ave. Stand.

I recognise sport as an integral part of community life. In this context I think it is important that sporting clubs and cultural pursuits are invested in. At the moment this is not happening.

My policy is that rather than slashing public spending as is planned in FF's 4-year austerity plan, and by FG (They plan to take €6billion out of the economy in 2011) and Labour (€4.5billion in 2011) we introduce a wealth tax and get rid of tax breaks, which negates the need for these cuts.

Also, contained within the IMF/EU bail-out deal is actually €17.5 billion from our own pension reserve fund. €10 billion from the bail-out deal will be going straight into the black hole that is the banks. I believe this money has got to be used to promote jobs instead and investment must be made in youth centres/clubs, cultural/art groups and as is relevant to your question, sport and community groups. The inequality that will come from government policy at the moment make it paramount that we invest in things like sport, otherwise we will see a growth in crime and anti-social behaviour that will cost more in the long term.

With regard to Rovers specifically: I understand that most clubs in the Airtricity League are struggling financially at the moment and that many have simply been mismanaged. The state could have a role to play in this and I think a good idea would be to incentivise good financial practice by the clubs. While some clubs chase success and therefore exceed their means, ending up in financial trouble, there should be incentives for conducting your business in a fair and sustainable way.

I feel it would also be worthwhile to promote Irish football in schools, colleges, workplaces through sponsored initiatives. Traditionally the state has put such things on the backburner and some may see clubs as private businesses, but it must be acknowledged through government action the importance of such things to the local and wider community.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely

COUNCILLOR DECLAN BREE

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yenoor10

Cop on lad. Leave it ffs.

Yenoor10 wrote: »
    Cop on lad. Leave it ffs.
    chill the beans lad

Bree got back to me yesterday if anyone is interested

Fair play to you Buzz for making the effort to contact the local politicians re Rovers and support.

If the club ramped up its underage structures it is more likely to get capital assistance etc. Anyways, good times at the club presently, maybe Tony will respond with a detailed appraisal of where he sees Rovers going, seeing as he is involved in the Development Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Fair play to you Buzz for making the effort to contact the local politicians re Rovers and support.

If the club ramped up its underage structures it is more likely to get capital assistance etc. Anyways, good times at the club presently, maybe Tony will respond with a detailed appraisal of where he sees Rovers going, seeing as he is involved in the Development Committee.

tony was at rovers matches when there was less than 100 in attendance - none of the other pr*cks were , they just jumped on the aviva/success bandwagon - including perry/matt ltons.
    If anyone wants to support sligo rovers , tony is our best bet.

the sad thing is that this will not happen for awhile where we go all the way to u-12 and lower...as the club would have to invest money,and because were running a tight ship we want as much money to go to the first team as possible.the only was a youth structure would work for sligo rovers if we came to a deal with Sligo-Leitrim league and when the reach say 18 they join the u-20 and progress on to the a team.that way we would have little or no money to invest into this and reap the rewards.the only cost to the club would be to give the astro to them for free.

last year we made a 65,000 profit before tax and we are owed 120,000 by the fai which is due in in the next week or so.

Rovers beat Castlebar Celtic today 7 nil. Doyle, Russell, Ventre, Dillon, Raff and McGoldrick x2 got the goals.

• Advertisement

the sad thing is that this will not happen for awhile where we go all the way to u-12 and lower...as the club would have to invest money,and because were running a tight ship we want as much money to go to the first team as possible.the only was a youth structure would work for sligo rovers if we came to a deal with Sligo-Leitrim league and when the reach say 18 they join the u-20 and progress on to the a team.that way we would have little or no money to invest into this and reap the rewards.the only cost to the club would be to give the astro to them for free.

last year we made a 65,000 profit before tax and we are owed 120,000 by the fai which is due in in the next week or so.

Yeah, I know the FAI can be notoriously slow in handing over dollars.

For the future of quality soccer and promotion of game is to bring on the youth -- and that players are brought through and say if they wish but if they are of the quality of Seamus Coleman and want to move on that they are sold (which will not happen again for a while) that they are not sold on for relative peanuts, because the League has a built in inferiority complex to its obviously more successful neighbouring league.

Advertisement