Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Sligored wrote: »
    tony was at rovers matches when there was less than 100 in attendance - none of the other pr*cks were , they just jumped on the aviva/success bandwagon - including perry/matt ltons.
    If anyone wants to support sligo rovers , tony is our best bet.

I can't remember the days when there was only 100 in attendance. When were they?
    I can remember days when there was only between 300 and 500 in attendance though and Tony was not the only local politician attending games back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Brendan Clarke from Sporting Fingal signed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I can't remember the days when there was only 100 in attendance. When were they?
    I can remember days when there was only between 300 and 500 in attendance though and Tony was not the only local politician attending games back then.

Can remember one game in particular, early 80's I think, no more than 100-150 there on a freezing cold day just before Xmas. 0-0 draw with Monaghan. Worst excuse for football I've ever seen. Think Keely was manager at the time. Actually mentioned to Tony and John Monaghan (whose father was a FF councillor) going out the gate that I was questioning my sanity!
    But, back again 2 weeks later, all forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

If Keely was the manager it was 89-91, if Monaghan were the opposition it was after 85, and the games around xmas time were always well supported due to the returning immigrants, Rovers have always had a hardcore of 500 mainly town based fans who will attend league games no matter what, Sligo will always be a British town and Rovers are a legacy of that, fair play to the Lancashire regiment who taught the people of the town the beautiful game in the 1870's

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Stevedore wrote: »
    If Keely was the manager it was 89-91, if Monaghan were the opposition it was after 85, and the games around xmas time were always well supported due to the returning immigrants, Rovers have always had a hardcore of 500 mainly town based fans who will attend league games no matter what, Sligo will always be a British town and Rovers are a legacy of that, fair play to the Lancashire regiment who taught the people of the town the beautiful game in the 1870's

When was the first game of Soccer in Sligo? I thought Rovers were founded in 1927? I read Castlerea Celtic are the oldest soccer club in West of Ireland! Bejaysus in darkest Co Roscommon.

• Advertisement

When was the first game of Soccer in Sligo? I thought Rovers were founded in 1927? I read Castlerea Celtic are the oldest soccer club in West of Ireland! Bejaysus in darkest Co Roscommon.

It's football not soccer, and rovers were founded in 1928.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

There was a Sligo Rovers side in 1906 and there was a photograph of this side in the Bit O Red calendar a few years back.

There was a Sligo Rovers side in 1906 and there was a photograph of this side in the Bit O Red calendar a few years back.

Thanks. What year was the calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

1906.jpg

Not the best quality, took photo of it from phone. The calendar was for 2008, Rovers 80th anniversary and was well worth the tenner I paid for it.

edolan wrote: »
    It's football not soccer, and rovers were founded in 1928.

Wow!

English FA founded 1863, Irish FA in 1880 -- which is when Association Football ie Soccer was founded.

Hence when was the first soccer game in soccer in Sligo? I heard that it was a team from Boyle that played Sligo and taught them after to a game of cricket in 1880?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Wow!

English FA founded 1863, Irish FA in 1880 -- which is when Association Football ie Soccer was founded.
    Last time I checked it was SRFC not SRSC ;)

Seems like we're going to bring a good crowd up to Derry for the opener. Really looking forward to it now. We've done quite well up there the last few years

gustavo wrote: »
    Last time I checked it was SRFC not SRSC ;)

Yer but, if it wasn't soccer, and you said 'let's play foot ball', well you could have sholid lads from the Bogs or sloping up from drumlins around the Oxsh Mountains, with adjustable whellies.

Oh, yeah and they'd have a numerical advantage of four - essentially pitting fifteen goalkeepers against one goalkeeper and 10 kickers;)

So, still wondering when was the first game of the football code, known as soccer in Sligo?

Wow!

Hence when was the first soccer game in soccer in Sligo? I heard that it was a team from Boyle that played Sligo and taught them after to a game of cricket in 1880?

It is universally called Football and only stupid GAA people who call it soccer in this country. Besides the truth is in the name, FAI=football association of Ireland, GAA= gaelic athletic association, also the fact that they use their hands more than their feet I think is another reason not to call the GAA football.

edolan wrote: »
    .... only stupid GAA people who call it soccer in this country. Besides the truth is in the name, FAI=football association of Ireland, GAA= gaelic athletic association, also the fact that they use their hands more than their feet I think is another reason not to call the GAA football.

Bit of stupid premise that because GAA predominately 'use their hands more that feet not to call it football'...fact is soccer didn't exist before FOOTBALL 'Association' in 1863 in England get that, clue in the first and second words FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION the word Association later shortened to 'Soci' Ball and then soccer...

Before that every game of football was generally what is FOOTBALL with hands, feet and head used.

Rugby Clubs are still have Football in their title and yeah, guess what they all use their hands...so your 'using their hands' in GAA is beside the point and doesn't hold any water or have merit.

Anyways, you were smart enough to correct me earlier re founding of Rovers -- but still haven't been able to answer when was the first game of SOCCER football, which means not Rugby Football or GAA Football, in Sligo.

Either you can or can't its as simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Bit of stupid premise that because GAA predominately 'use their hands more that feet not to call it football'...fact is soccer didn't exist before FOOTBALL 'Association' in 1863 in England get that, clue in the first and second words FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION the word Association later shortened to 'Soci' Ball and then soccer...

Before that every game of football was generally what is FOOTBALL with hands, feet and head used.

Rugby Clubs are still have Football in their title and yeah, guess what they all use their hands...so your 'using their hands' in GAA is beside the point and doesn't hold any water or have merit.

Anyways, you were smart enough to correct me earlier re founding of Rovers -- but still haven't been able to answer when was the first game of football, which means not Rugby Football or GAA Football, in Sligo.

Either you can or can't its as simple as.
    there's your answer.you must of missed it..

now can we all get along and stop bring this thread down with the mentioning of the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

quote:

" The first football matches played in Sligo occurred just before the end of the century. The games were between two British army regiments stationed in the area. It is reputed that they marched from their barracks to a pitch at Forthill at mid-day for these games. The locals took an interest in the game and junior soccer became prevelant at the turn of the century. " end quote.

an answer of sorts...but also brings up the question of why do we call the lower tier 'junior soccer':confused:

there's your answer.you must of missed it..

Eh, forza -- someone earlier mentioned the British Army introduced the game in the 1880s, maybe you missed that?!

now can we all get along and stop bring this thread down with the mentioning of the gaa.

I never brought up issue of Garlic Football -- that was E Dolan.

Still awaiting reply re first game of 'soccer' football in Sligo. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

very childish argument methinks!
    Whether you call football or soccer I could'nt give a fcuk. I love it and roll on next weekend!

red sean wrote: »
    very childish argument methinks!
    Whether you call football or soccer I could'nt give a fcuk. I love it and roll on next weekend!

He started it:D

dardevle wrote: »
    quote:

" The first football matches played in Sligo occurred just before the end of the century. The games were between two British army regiments stationed in the area. It is reputed that they marched from their barracks to a pitch at Forthill at mid-day for these games. The locals took an interest in the game and junior soccer became prevelant at the turn of the century. " end quote.

an answer of sorts...but also brings up the question of why do we call the lower tier 'junior soccer':confused:

Cool story re the Regiments up the Hill. Where did you hear it or read it.

Re 'Junior' soccer, you have three grades, Senior, Intermediate and Junior -- the latterly was once classified as 'Schoolboys' ie players not up to standard of Senior.

• Advertisement

It's irrelevant what Shellyriver says I know im right, to say football didn't exist before the setting up of the FA is bit stupid all the FA did was give it rules and a structure. Im well aware that the word football is some teams titles but I have never heard of anyone refer to it as football.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

quote:

Cool story re the Regiments up the Hill. Where did you hear it or read it.

Re 'Junior' soccer, you have three grades, Senior, Intermediate and Junior -- the latterly was once classified as 'Schoolboys' ie players not up to standard of Senior.
    not sure where this is from - possibly from rovers website itself,
    i wonder where the visiting team had to march from? don't think there was another garrison in town besides Forthill.... maybe Collooney? Boyle?:eek:

not sure where this is from - possibly from rovers website itself,
    i wonder where the visiting team had to march from? don't think there was another garrison in town besides Forthill.... maybe Collooney? Boyle?:eek:

Yeah, could be -- maybe Castlerea -- linked with Athlone Town the oldest soccer football team in the West apparently.

Anyways, lets hope Rovers can show Derry their is only one premier club in the North West.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone up at the Brandywell last night? First game of the season, and a 1-0 win.

Bring on Shams saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

irish-stew wrote: »
    Anyone up at the Brandywell last night? First game of the season, and a 1-0 win.

Bring on Shams saturday night.
    yep. had a brilliant first half dominated it well,every thing went against us re refs decisions,danny got booked for taking a free kick:confused: we had a dubious goal line incident and then clarke saved a peno. second half we seemed to have wen somewhere else we were dyer, but hung on the changes made the difference and we took our goal well. there was supposed to be 3 mins added time but we played atleast 7 as the score boards time was bang on in the second half as it counted down

yep. had a brilliant first half dominated it well,every thing went against us re refs decisions,danny got booked for taking a free kick:confused: we had a dubious goal line incident and then clarke saved a peno. second half we seemed to have wen somewhere else we were dyer, but hung on the changes made the difference and we took our goal well. there was supposed to be 3 mins added time but we played atleast 7 as the score boards time was bang on in the second half as it counted down

Highlights should be good then. I hear rumours that match against shams is televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

An away win at the Brandywell that's a nice start to the season.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

irish-stew wrote: »
    Highlights should be good then. I hear rumours that match against shams is televised.
    you heard wrong , stew , get your arse along for a great nights live entertainment.

Sligored wrote: »
    you heard wrong , stew , get your arse along for a great nights live entertainment.

I'd be heading down regardless.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Think we should be encouraging everyone and anyone to the Showgrounds on Saturday. Should be a big crowd and it's a massive game and should be a good one too.

To anyone reading this who hasn't been to a game yet, give it a go!

Advertisement