Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was at it yeah,sat just by the away dug out,got decent seats. Couldn't believe they weren't out of sight by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I was at it yeah,sat just by the away dug out,got decent seats. Couldn't believe they weren't out of sight by half time.

Up behind Fenlon? He didn't get to much stick tonight. He usally does there. Was in my usual spot up at the back, also over looking the away dugout.

Your right, if it wasn't for those two posts, couldn't see Bohs coming back. Their second goal crushed us in terms of confidence I think.

Omg I could have seen you

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Very diasppointing result tonight, Bohs just had more fight and determination about them and deserved the the win i think. They had a good mix of youth and experience, myabe Fenlon isnt just a chequebook manager.;) Derry game is really important now, cant afford to lose anymore ground on leaders this early on. Keep the faith!

Sligo v Derry this afternoon involved 2 penaltys, 3 goals, and 4 red cards.

Ps, the 3 goals were scored by Sligo.

We're back up to 3rd (untill later on tonight).

• Advertisement

Must have been some game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Must have been some game.
    wasnt a dirty game by a long shot the physiotherapist was on only a hand full of times. alan kelly lost control of the game in the first half then decided to stamp his authority on the game all the sending offs were second yellows par the first which was a professional foul for the peno

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

The referee was very good. The reds and most of the yellows were correct.

Good to get back to winning ways, wasn't expecting such a big victory.

3rd round draw of the cup.

Have been drawn at home against Pike Rovers from Limerick

Game to take place weekend of June 5th.
    thebuzz wrote: »
    The referee was very good. The reds and most of the yellows were correct.

Good to get back to winning ways, wasn't expecting such a big victory.

Shame we couldn't maintain it against Shams.

:(

Far better performance last night. Good to see Cook make the necessary changes and we looked far better for it. Six points from the next two games and we'll be going very well.

• Advertisement

Its all about UEFA rankings I think.

I was reading up on how the Europa League Final on Wednesday night could affect our place in the 2011/12 Europa Cup.

We have all ready qualified for the 2nd Qualifying Round by winning the FAI cup.

Porto, who are playing in the Final Wednesday night, have also already qualified for the Champions Leauge next season due to their domestic sucsess this year. If they win on Wednesday night also qualifies them for the Europa Leauge, which creates an extra place in the 3rd Qualifying Round, that place would go to us, thus avoiding the 2nd Rd.

If Braga win on Wednesday night, we start from the 2nd Qualifying Round as expected.
    Both finalists of the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League are guaranteed to qualify for the 2011–12 UEFA competitions through domestic performance:

Porto will play in the Champions League.
    Braga will play in the Europa League, where they will enter at least the third qualifying round.

As a result, a place will be vacated, which in turn led to the following changes to the default allocation system in order to compensate for this vacant spot:

The domestic cup winners of association 28 (Belarus) are promoted from the second qualifying round to the third qualifying round.
    The domestic cup winners of associations 52 and 53 (Malta and San Marino) are promoted from the first qualifying round to the second qualifying round.

In addition:

If Porto win the cup

Their place in the group stage is vacated. They lose all entitlement to this place, even if they are knocked out out of the Champions League and re-enter the Europa League. Their place in the group stage is not automatically given to another team. This means that one more team is required to progress from the playoff round to the group stage. To do this:

The domestic cup winners of associations 16 and 17 (Scotland and Bulgaria) are moved from the third qualifying round to the play-off round.
    The domestic cup winners of association 29 (Republic of Ireland) are moved from the second qualifying round to the third qualifying round.
    The domestic league runners-up of associations 33 and 34 (Latvia and Moldova) are moved from the first qualifying round to the second qualifying round.

If Braga win the cup and qualify for the Europa League play-off round by their domestic position

The domestic cup winners of association 16 (Scotland) are promoted from the third qualifying round to the play-off round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_UEFA_Europa_League

Not sure which outcome I prefer to be honest. A 2nd Rd Qualifying fixture, is a home (at the showgrounds) and away game. A 3rd Rd Qualifying fixture is also a home and away game, but I have read/heard some where that the Showgrounds doesn't meet the UEFA guidelines to host a match at that stage meaning that the game would have to be played else where in Ireland, at possible a cost to us in terms of renting the venue.

Starting in the 2nd Rd means an extra match in the competition if we progress, more experience, and hopefully a little extra cash from the club in terms of money from UEFA in terms of prize money and gate money.

A 3rd round is slightly more prestigious, but means possibly playing it somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, what do yous think?

It's very unlikely we'd be seeded in the 2nd round so will be very hard to progress to the third round. So I'm hoping for a 3rd round draw to a big European team (Some Spanish, Italian, Dutch, French & English teams enter at this stage) which will make the club a lot of money. Obviously it would be better to have the game in the Showgrounds but if we get a big draw it could make it worthwhile playing the game in a bigger stadium in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

thebuzz wrote: »
    It's very unlikely we'd be seeded in the 2nd round so will be very hard to progress to the third round. So I'm hoping for a 3rd round draw to a big European team (Some Spanish, Italian, Dutch, French & English teams enter at this stage) which will make the club a lot of money. Obviously it would be better to have the game in the Showgrounds but if we get a big draw it could make it worthwhile playing the game in a bigger stadium in Dublin.

Why so you can fill it up with Irish people,who will probaly shout against rovers.The eircom league selection game comes to mind.I would rather the showgrounds or the GAA park

Why so you can fill it up with Irish people,who will probaly shout against rovers.The eircom league selection game comes to mind.I would rather the showgrounds or the GAA park

A stadium in Dublin is most likely the only place that would be elegible to host the game if the showgrounds is not deemed suitable for a 3rd fixture by UEFA.

Tallaght staduim is such a place that springs to mind.

Would take a huge excemption from the GAA to host it in Markievicz Park, even then UEFA would still need to approve it.

To put it simply-€€€€. As much as I hate putting up with idiots who would potentially be cheering against an Irish team, I take great pleasure in seeing the club make plenty of money off them.

The downside to the 3rd round is if we don't get a big team and end up playing a relatively unknown team in Dublin that wont draw a crowd and then getting knocked out.

There are benefits to getting into either round, who's to say we wouldn't beat the team we get in the 2nd round and end up in the 3rd round anyway? We'll find out what round we're in Wednesday anyway.

As for having the game in Markievicz...Jesus no. It wouldn't be fit to host it either btw.

not a chance,wouldnt step foot in the place. and it would be nowhere near the standard 3 round is a night game so high quality flood lights are needed and at the moment we only have two as the ones on the jinks are not up to scratch. and there's a minimum requirement of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

not a chance,wouldnt step foot in the place. and it would be nowhere near the standard 3 round is a night game so high quality flood lights are needed and at the moment we only have two as the ones on the jinks are not up to scratch. and there's a minimum requirement of seats.

Fair enough i did not really think it threw.The railway end should be seated surely it would not cost that much,or mabey a temporary stand.I can understand the argument of extra revenue,I just feel the game would be less "special" if it is played out of Sligo

Fair enough i did not really think it threw.The railway end should be seated surely it would not cost that much,or mabey a temporary stand.I can understand the argument of extra revenue,I just feel the game would be less "special" if it is played out of Sligo

For that reason, one part of me wants Braga to win tomorrow night. Okay we only start in the second round, but we do a get a home game, that is actually at home.

For the 3rd round, its alot more than the seating that would have to be looked at.

temporary seating costs more than to buy an actual seat, and temporary seating is banned buy uefa as its not a permanent structure,the railway end would cost to much money to take up to standard

We're through to the 3rd round without kicking a ball.

Now time to find a pitch to play our home game on.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »

wont be 100% sure till mid june they could make the second round larger meaning well stay were we are.

wont be 100% sure till mid june they could make the second round larger meaning well stay were we are.

Would be more likely that an extra place is created in the 1st round rather than the 2nd round being expanded.

Porto have already qualified for the CL, so their EL place has been given up, so certain clubs for each round move up depending on their FA's UEFA ranking.

How come Stew?

How come Stew?

We were due to start in the second qualifying round. But with Porto winning last night, plus already having qualified for the CL their group place in next years EL has been given up. That means depending on the different FA's rankings within UEFA, different clubs are moved up within the qualifying, the playoffs, and the group stages. We are supposed to be one such club.

This post explains it a bit better

Would be more likely that an extra place is created in the 1st round rather than the 2nd round being expanded.

Porto have already qualified for the CL, so their EL place has been given up, so certain clubs for each round move up depending on their FA's UEFA ranking.
    its all explained on the rovers forum well. the second round being larger was from an article in the last few days in the independent i think it was

its all explained on the rovers forum well. the second round being larger was from an article in the last few days in the independent i think it was

Where is that forum, is it via the forzas website, or the sligo rovers website?

Where is that forum, is it via the forzas website, or the sligo rovers website?
    http://www.freeforum101.com/sligorovers/index.php?mforum=sligorovers

Been drawn at home to Monaghan in the FAI cup 4th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

I hope there's a better turn out for this game than against Pike.

It seems the Sligo soccer faithful are turning into the Kerryonians of GAA world -- ie don't bother turning up until the Final!

Anyways, it seems aeons away from now -- let's hope we fair out okay in Europe.

• Advertisement

After a brutal opening 42-43 minutes, last nights match turned out allright, winning 4 nill, with a fantasic goal being scored direct from the corner by Daryl Horgan.

Delighted to see Shamie coming on to the pitch during the half time break, and also receiving a great welcome.

Derry at the Brandywell on Tuesday night, and back at home for a televised match against Shamrock Rovers on Friday. Two need to win matches.

Advertisement